Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rnd 1: Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game (Read 32174 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rnd 1: Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game

Reply #30
Rance would be happy to let our forwards get the ball outside 50.

He'll just sag off and wait for them to come back in and pick them up on the way through.
And when he does that, our other fwds need to work their defenders over to create opportunities, to where Rance aint, inside 50. He'll only do it once or twice before he has to pay more respect to his opponent.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31
Quote from: The RAge
Former GWS players Caleb Marchbank, Jarrod Pickett and Rhys Palmer will all play barring any training mishaps, while former Cat Billie Smedts has cemented his spot in Carlton's best 22.
New draftees Cameron Polson and Zac Fisher remain in contention, but they are considered less likely to debut.

While the Blues would like to settle Weitering in defence, where they see him playing the majority of his career, they are also aware of their inability to score freely.

The Blues are likely to start with Levi Casboult, whose struggles in front of goal have been well-documented, up forward along with second-year players Charlie Curnow and Jack Silvagni.

If that combination isn't potent enough, Bolton would like to be able to throw Weitering into attack as he did at times in 2016.

I'm not so sure Smedts is cemented, nor Palmer, but I'm certain Marchbank and Pickett will get a run.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Rance is one of the most over rated defenders in the league when he has to defend,  if we had a second marking target we could expose him, but we haven't so he'll get away with sagging off and essentially playing as a loose man.  His man must make him accountable.

We are already being talked about as the "bye", I hope we really attack the ball and man manically and really put the wind up them.  If we get a few goals up I reckon we'll break them because they don't come across as a mentally tough outfit.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #33
I'm not so sure Smedts is cemented, nor Palmer, but I'm certain Marchbank and Pickett will mget a run.
HS has a story on BB who was on RSN. He said it would be a young side with Marchy and Pickett likely. Cripps is a definite starter.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #34
The media are akin to Lemmings, one shares a view (Lloyd in this case) and the others pile in. I see King has tonight shared his fears for our list rebuild and the reliance on players from other clubs. The lack of critical analysis is stark. Seriously this is what they come up with after five months off?

Should have traded Gibbs, for a 1st and 2nd rounder he said..... Just needed someone to offer that Kingy!

None bar Pickett of the incoming players look like making 100 games... none of them have played a single AFL game for Carlton....

Besides, he was wearing a terrible F*^@ing shirt.

Go Baggers!
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #35
The media are akin to Lemmings, one shares a view (Lloyd in this case) and the others pile in. I see King has tonight shared his fears for our list rebuild and the reliance on players from other clubs. The lack of critical analysis is stark. Seriously this is what they come up with after five months off?

Should have traded Gibbs, for a 1st and 2nd rounder he said..... Just needed someone to offer that Kingy!

None bar Pickett of the incoming players look like making 100 games... none of them have played a single AFL game for Carlton....

Go Baggers!

When you trade players in, it seems that they always come from other clubs  ::)

I reckon that we have achieved a good balance of new players through favourable trades and what seems to be excellent use of our draft picks, not to mention maximising our involvement in the draft.  The problem is that ex-footballers who set themselves up as experts rarely put in the work to ensure that their conclusions are based on sound analysis.  As soon as King's and Lloyd's (and others) pronouncements are shown to be wrong, they'll write another article extolling SOS's genius as a list manager  >:(

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #36
Marchbank will play 200 games and be AA at some point.

Reply #37

Go Baggers!

Yeah was typical BS from king
What I laughed about was he was very concerned with the recruiting of ex GWS playes saying its a massive risk as these players couldn't make it at GWS. Then as you mentioned above his comment that only maybe Pickett looked like we might have found a player yet wrote off every other trade we made this year.

THEN 15 mins later him and piggy were saying how amazing saints recruiters have been getting in top quality ex players that have all filled a void.

On the list was Nathan brown and Jake Carlisle.

F***heads they haven't even played a single game and your praising them for getting it right!  :o

Yet they did the complete opposite with us. 

Such poor bias reporting.......again. Yet you watch how they quickly change their tune if we string a few wins together.

Reply #38
Listen, I know I bang on about this, but I do so because it's accurate.

In the media at the moment are a bunch of 40 or 50 something media types who genuinely believe their careers were partially cruelled by Carlton's salary cap violations. But reality is, they or their club was no fecking good anyway!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
Nafun Brown is only a game or two away from a significant injury.  Relying on him is a high risk exercise, to put it mildly. 

BTW, aren't Steele and Bruce ex-GWS... short memory Kingy!

Reply #40
Nafun Brown is only a game or two away from a significant injury.  Relying on him is a high risk exercise, to put it mildly. 

dumb as pigsh..t that bloke.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #41

Agendas often get in the way of logic!  ;D
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #42
Dear Mr Bolton,
I will be attending this game with my son. It is not often we can get to games due to living interstate. So as you can imagine with the cost of flight, tickets, accommodation etc the weekend will be close to $1000 for us.
A lot for a game of footy.
Previous matches I have taken my lad to players have appeared lack lusted and the game plan was in tatters.
My son's support has wavered over the last 10 years but we are all still members.

All I ask is that the Carlton Football Club comes to play.
EACH and EVERY player wears the jumper with pride and goes when it is their turn to go NOT pick and choose.

I ask that the TEAM plays as a TEAM and shows structure.
The coaches have a Plan A and a Plan B.

I ask that the Forward line (which used to be Carlton's strength) shows signs that it is A forward line. Goals win games.

Please get the boys to come out and play from the start and leave nothing on the park at the end.

Thanking you advance and wish you a very successful year.
Go Blues
BluePhantom

This ∆∆∆∆∆ I like....
I hope your boy gets to scream out loud after the siren, coz we won by a goal ;D

Go new Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #43
I'm not so sure Smedts is cemented, nor Palmer, but I'm certain Marchbank and Pickett will get a run.

When you recruit players like Smedts and Palmer you are under pressure to play them to justify your decision to recruit them especially when the media
scrutinize your work like what Lloyd is doing with us at the minute....
Marchbank and Pickett are lock ins....

Reply #44
When you recruit players like Smedts and Palmer you are under pressure to play them to justify your decision to recruit them especially when the media
scrutinize your work like what Lloyd is doing with us at the minute....
Marchbank and Pickett are lock ins....

Sorry but surely EB1 your kidding.

So the club is now making R1 decisions based off a fool like Lloyd review of us?

If your right, we might as well merge with Brisbane cause all this talk about rebuilding from the ground up and doing it the right way was obviously BS if we make important decisions based on media pressure.

Whilst these picks were odd in most fans/medias opinion (including mine) they selected them for a reason and probably based on the type of players they are on a very specific reason. The will want them and play them when it suits what they were traded in for - Lloyds or any other persons comments surely wont alter a thing the club has planned for.

If it does that we might as well give up.