Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 47595 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #256
The problem is that people measure "progress" differently, or have different ideas about what constitutes progress. Some people believe that progress is a simple linear movement, where each season we have more wins, better ladder position etc., leading to a flag. Others believe that if we are "on the right path" (whatever that means), then history shows that successful teams (in recent times think Hawks and Cats) will be up and down in the early years of their "rebuild", then stabilize and move on to have sustained success.

It's ok - as Chomksy said, outside of a very limited set of facts and knowledge, humanity doesn't really understand much about anything, so you can have whatever opinion or theory you like. The discussion and the questions are where it's at.

Our progression is aligned with other teams regression and progression...we can improve but it looks like the majority of the other poorer teams have also improved....

Reply #257
If you look at the pre-season predictions from the "experts" relative to the 1st Rnd results, and extend them seasonally, more than 50% of the so-called "experts" got it wrong!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #258
Not sure if you blokes are taking the pi55 or not.
Jack is clearly our best forward... That's not to say he is an elite player or anything, but of our forwards he reads the play best, clearly the highest work rate in the  forward line, no one leads or works harder off the ball... And is a fair kick and a good mark. We have absolutely nothing up forward, and I reckon most teams in the comp would be happy to have Jack on their list. Unfortunately we have to pin our hopes each week on a 19yo kid with the body of a 16 or 17yo kid, who competes much more impressively then he would be expected to at any other club.

The key point here is forward. Good football nous and works hard, which means he can be elusive. I'm going to get shot down here, but if Jack is played up the ground and is in a situation where the ball is live, whoever he is competing with will most likely run off him with ease. He is simply too slow to play up the ground.

Reply #259
Jack is clearly our best forward...

I'm assuming that statement comes as the exclusion of Weitering, who looks to be potentially our best player pretty much everywhere he applies himself.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #260
The key point here is forward. Good football nous and works hard, which means he can be elusive. I'm going to get shot down here, but if Jack is played up the ground and is in a situation where the ball is live, whoever he is competing with will most likely run off him with ease. He is simply too slow to play up the ground.

jack had four shots at goals for two goals two behinds. Her set up two other goals of which one was a pass to Weitering. Not sure what game you were watching but Jack played up the ground. Weitering, Casboult and Charlie were our deepest forwards most of the time. Jack was born in late December and scrapped into the 2015 National draft and is 6 weeks older than Sam P-Seton. He has out shown Charlie Cunningham and McKay and many first round picks of his year.

Then again,  you probably would like Blain Boekhorst in the team for his speed. I think not! Give me someone who try's and bleeds for the jumper.

Jack is an absolute steal!!!

Reply #261
Thought Smedts gave us a something. Exceeded my expectations am deathly would be good to see him get an extended run.

Agree shadesy....thought his first quarter was excellent and his use of the footy & decision making is actually pretty sound, seems to be a lot leaner than he was at Geelong or do the their hoops just make them look more soild ???
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #262
It's the water down thee Brettie!  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #263
Agree shadesy....thought his first quarter was excellent and his use of the footy & decision making is actually pretty sound, seems to be a lot leaner than he was at Geelong or do the their hoops just make them look more soild ???

Agree Brettie. If he can stay on the park, get some confidence in his body, once he gets used to his new environment, he could be very handy.

Reply #264
Smedts was reasonable and looked after the footy well but I didnt think he did much with the ball in terms of attacking footy...certainly deserves more games especially when you look at what we have to replace him, more of a fill in player for a few years while the kids develop.
Looks a bit too lean to me...

Reply #265
Smedts......Looks a bit too lean to me...

Agree EB1, can see him getting knocked off the ball without much effort.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #266
jack had four shots at goals for two goals two behinds. Her set up two other goals of which one was a pass to Weitering. Not sure what game you were watching but Jack played up the ground. Weitering, Casboult and Charlie were our deepest forwards most of the time. Jack was born in late December and scrapped into the 2015 National draft and is 6 weeks older than Sam P-Seton. He has out shown Charlie Cunningham and McKay and many first round picks of his year.

Then again,  you probably would like Blain Boekhorst in the team for his speed. I think not! Give me someone who try's and bleeds for the jumper.

Jack is an absolute steal!!!

No argument with most of what you've said, as I said he is a forward. Wasn't questioning his value , just stating where I thought he was best suited. I have high hopes for McKay.

Yes I saw him up the ground. There was 2 passages of play one where he went to chase and 2 opponents took off, and another on the wing where he was being run down (admittedly he had to gather the ball) but the other guys had no trouble catching him.

Reply #267
Everything has just about been covered I reckon. For the life of me though, I don't get how players that reach this level can miss so many short handballs. I'm talking 2-3 metres. It's so damn frustrating as a fan. Time after time attacking opportunities come unstuck due to errrant hand passing.
JC

Reply #268
Did you includ the two passages of play that he step around two Richmond mid fielders in traffic - he is a forward but will play high half forward.

Reply #269
Everything has just about been covered I reckon. For the life of me though, I don't get how players that reach this level can miss so many short handballs. I'm talking 2-3 metres. It's so damn frustrating as a fan. Time after time attacking opportunities come unstuck due to errrant hand passing.

I think it happens because players move so quickly.  Think about it, you hit the ball in a direction, and your teamate is in motion, you actually need to aim a little in front.  Whilst handballing, an opponent nudges you, and you move your hands slightly in the motion resulting in a slight change of angle, and also a less clean hit.

Its amplified because so few players actually make errors, but at the same time they all do it from time to time for the same reasons.

At the end of the day, this is what elite football looks like.  Smallest margin for error.

The focus on Levi's hands is here because of his kicking.  He shanks as many as anyone else does when handballing in traffic.  Kicking for goal is a different phenominon altogether.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson