Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2017 Round 3: Northern Blues vs Coburg at Coburg (Read 25263 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2017 Round 3: Northern Blues vs Coburg at Coburg

Reply #46
Would love to see Kerr or McKay get a game but if we're after a flanker we're going to go for Daisy, Boekhorst or Kerridge most likely.

Pickett would be my pick. We do look very one paced without him - even though he does some dodgey things.

Reply #47
He was on the ground, yes. Whether he played is questionable at best.

A bit harsh I think. Pickett had moments and from the snippets I saw looked like he was putting In. Didn't find enough of it though and a player of his quality needs to take the game by the scruff of the neck

Reply #48
Quick question... did Wayne Carey die and start inhabiting Liam Jones's body?
Highlights:
https://t.co/TWEsNIWa6u

http://northernbluesfc.com.au/?p=4640
Best:
Northern Blues: Jones, Boekhorst, Stavrou, Thomas, Kerr, Wilson

Interesting to note BB named ahead of DT. Interesting given DT had 6 goal assists.

Reply #49
I only saw a highlight package of all of our goals, but Thomas was everywhere on it.

For that he deserves a bit more respect from many of his detractors.

Any player who has won an afl premiership,  was considered one of the games elite mids for a little while,  is on big money and then goes down to the vfl once, and tears that level up straight away, even though he could play out the year, without earning his cash and put it all behind him deserves a bit more respect.

Sure, people might claim he only wants to trigger his extension,  but I think he'd genuinely be hurt by how little footy he's produced (based on how he goes about it) and has a bit more pride in himself and actually wants to achieve something rather than fizzling out into nothing. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
I only saw a highlight package of all of our goals, but Thomas was everywhere on it.

Any player who has won an afl premiership,  was considered one of the games elite mids for a little while,  is on big money and then goes down to the vfl once, and tears that level up straight away, even though he could play out the year, without earning his cash and put it all behind him deserves a bit more respect.

Sure, people might claim he only wants to trigger his extension,  but I think he'd genuinely be hurt by how little footy he's produced (based on how he goes about it) and has a bit more pride in himself and actually wants to achieve something rather than fizzling out into nothing. 

I would disagree that a good game at vfl level changes anything. I'll wait til he gets 30 with 6 assists in the AFL.

Reply #51

He 'tore it up' against Coburg ffs.

He has shown time and time again now that he (or his body) cannot cut it at the top level. He might be wanting to do better but the writing is all over the wall.

What he did 4 or 5 or 6 years ago at Collingwood counts for nada now.

It is that simple.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #53

He has shown time and time again now that he (or his body) cannot cut it at the top level. He might be wanting to do better but the writing is all over the wall.

It is that simple.

No doubt Daisy was BoG at Coburg.

BB has come out publicly and stated the team is picked on form and opportunity, if SoJ goes down that is the opportunity. Perhaps the only other player justifying an opportunity is Jones.

I've read a lot on this forum about culture, getting the culture right, developing a winning culture.

Well BB will have to be very brave not to pick players who show form because it sends the exact wrong message to the kids if you want to develop a winning culture.

The message you want to send to the playing list is work hard and with the right attitude and your are in, no matter if you are the in captaincy group or the kindergarten.

Is the coach a man of his word, Daisy's game has this under the spotlight? The media know that, which is why they made a big deal about Daisy's game on two out of three commercial TV news channels. They virtually never offer coverage of VFL games.

Perhaps in the future BB will be more guarded with his words, but if he wanted to send a message about culture, now is the perfect time to do it!

Nobody can cherry pick when to honour a declaration, if you do that you lose respect and AFL playing and coaching is built on respect.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
one good game in the 2s doesn't get you automatic selection in the 1s.

The seniors had a great win - everyone contributed - and usually there would be no changes bar injury.

If SOJ injured, is Daisy a decent swap? I say no, give Kerr a crack or Jones (the latter as a swingman).
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #55

It is that simple.

He doesn't have to be playing senior football to earn respect.

Just like you dont have to be an A grader to win respect.

Or do you have to have the surname Silvagni to get a pat on the back these days??
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #56
Okay so if Daisy plays enough games to trigger an extension, is it automatically on the same $?

Reply #57
Okay so if Daisy plays enough games to trigger an extension, is it automatically on the same $?

I understand that the extra year, if triggered, is around 50% of his current pay packet.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #58
Thomas, or at least his agent, has already stated that he'll play for less money next season so reading between the lines he's ready and willing to commit to the club until his playing days are done.
It's the first time I can ever remember him being dropped in his 200 games and it would have hurt. if he can regain anything like his best form he would be an invaluable asset to the senior side while we have so many kids finding their way.
He's the same age as Murphy, if his body holds up there's no reason why he hasn't got another three years in him and in my opinion he's a rough chance to play in our next Premiership side.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #59
I understand that the extra year, if triggered, is around 50% of his current pay packet.

Do you have any links to that? Because I find that to be extraordinary. He came here after a pay packet and can't imagine why he would have a trigger that said if he is playing football good enough for 15 games in his last year we get him for 1/2 the next year.

If he has resigned it recently to change the value of the trigger, that could be a different matter.

The rubbish about the respect he "deserves"... He deserves the respect one human gives another, but outside of that Carlton supporters owe him absolutely NOTHING. He has absolutely impacted our ability to bring in other players due to the size of his contract.

It is okay, it is football, he signed the contract and is entitled to the cash.. that is the way it works... But being on our list has comfortably been a negative in regards to our list management and I can't wait to see the back of him.

Talk about he must be picked because of culture etc.

Well it is okay to say that a player on 700k a year has to be doing more to get a game than Charlie Curnow does. That he must be demanding games with his performances. I remember Nicky Winmar coming back through the 2s many years ago and picking up over 50 possessions.

Players in the top 5% of paid AFL professionals need to play better than he does.
I would happily see him never play another senior game
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL