Skip to main content
Topic: Which player has shown the most improvement this year. (Read 7981 times) previous topic - next topic

Which player has shown the most improvement this year.

A resurrection of a question that I ask at the end of each season.

I expect Jones to get the nod but its never clear cut on here.

Re: Which player has shown the most improvement this year.

Reply #1
Liam !!!

Reply #2
Liam !!!

By the length of the Flemington straight!
Daylight second, probably Charlie.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #3
I saw Liam Jones' last game for the Northern Blues. it was astounding. He has continued this performance into the AFL.

Reply #4
Liam Jones is the obvious choice..

But I will put my hand up and eat some humble pie re Jarrod Pickett... I thought he was average at best the 1st few times he played ones this year... he has been very good the last couple of weeks.  I think someone has given him a pep talk as he seems to have come good all of a sudden ?
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #5
It's clear cut.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #6
Liam has indeed gone from zero to hero - a remarkable transformation for which I struggle to think of any parallel.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
Jones

But if we can get a Charlie Curnow like improvement form some of our youngsters 2018 could be a very good year. ;)

Reply #9
I guess you can only really assess those in their 2nd year or better... for mine we've seen strong improvement in SOJ, Tractor, Lamb, Plowman, Daisy, but Mr and Mrs Curnow's little boy, Charles aka Curnofides, would be the more significant.

I haven't mentioned Liam Jones as I reckon he's now simply being played in his correct position. But if you forget that and that he's always shown he's an amazing athlete, then he'd win hands down...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #10
I guess you can only really assess those in their 2nd year or better... for mine we've seen strong improvement in SOJ, Tractor, Lamb, Plowman, Daisy, but Mr and Mrs Curnow's little boy, Charles aka Curnofides, would be the more significant.

I haven't mentioned Liam Jones as I reckon he's now simply being played in his correct position. But if you forget that and that he's always shown he's an amazing athlete, then he'd win hands down...

Yep
Kreuzer (injury free) is having a great year...Daisy, probably his best for us... on the other hand I'm not sure Jack is having a much improved year.
I get the feeling he actually could do with a rest and if it wasn't  the last game I suspect he'd be "spelled" this week.

Reply #11
Liam Jones has been an absolute revelation in the past 10 weeks......

but......

Charlie has gone from a talented youngster to the second most important talent we have (Cripps is #1, for the moment anyway). 

I have no doubt that the Carlton shop shelves and racks will be empty of items with the number 30 on them by the start of next season. 
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #12
Is it possible to show more improvement than Jones? From staring at a guaranteed delisting to being on pace with AA selection in the space of a couple of months. Incredible.

Curnow should be the rising star. Has come with a late rush but he's in the front by a long way right now.

Reply #13
Liam is the 'revelation' - from whipping boy about to be delisted, to the form CHB of the comp with a 2 year contract extension in 10 weeks is about as big a turn around is there has been.

Charlie is the development story - has gone up to new levels in several games this year and is just building each week. Had probably his best game on the weekend. The sky is the limit, but he looks like he has the hunger and the competitive streak to match the physical talent.

The fact that Fisher, Pickett, Boek and Bryne all had career best games last week against Hawthorn is a massive mental plus for those guys and the team. It's great to have so many young guys finishing the year strongly and it will fill them with confidence for next year that they are good enough.

SPS's last few weeks have also been very handy after a flat spell. Willo looks like the steal of the draft and could be the next Peter Dean. Harry showed a glimpse. Marchbank played a lot of good games and took a pounding.

Cunningham and SOJ were up and down and a little disappointing at times - they still have time on their side and hopefully just a small case of second year blues. I think both them still have a lot to offer.

Reply #14
Mental blank.... Who else has worn 30 for Carlton.... Waite?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?