Skip to main content
Topic: New VFLW licence (Read 6230 times) previous topic - next topic

New VFLW licence

It seems to have flown under the radar but we have secured a VFLW licence.

According to Damien Keeping:

“We’re incredibly pleased to have been granted a VFLW licence for the 2018 season, which will further strengthen our pathways to develop young talent coming through the ranks in women’s football,” Keeping said.

“The VFLW program will work alongside our senior women’s side, meaning there will be a strong continuity and alignment for our players in the program.

“Being awarded a licence is a further show of faith that Carlton is genuine in its approach to women’s football and we’re delighted to only strengthen that commitment with a VFLW side in 2018 and beyond.”

Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond and St Kilda have also been granted licences and the Victoria University Western Spurs will become the Western Bulldogs.

Not bad for a club that supposedly is no longer one of the "Big 4"  :)

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: New VFLW licence

Reply #1
Will be interesting to see how this affects the teams that have been carrying the womens league for decades.

Reply #2
Will be interesting to see how this affects the teams that have been carrying the womens league for decades.

Yes, that will be interesting.  Darebin is sounding confident - and why wouldn't they - but it's going to be a very different competition.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
Yes, that will be interesting.  Darebin is sounding confident - and why wouldn't they - but it's going to be a very different competition.

Have they confirmed yet whether the players already playing in the AFLW will now have to align with their clubs VFLW team? If so, a few clubs will be hit substantially.

Reply #4
I reckon the traditional clubs will fall down, and the "AFL" branded clubs will rise.

Its what happened in mens soccer anyway.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
Have they confirmed yet whether the players already playing in the AFLW will now have to align with their clubs VFLW team? If so, a few clubs will be hit substantially.

I'm not sure but I'd be surprised if they don't.  As Keeping said, there are benefits in having the AFLW and VFLW teams training together.

Reply #6
I'd really hate to see the traditional clubs decimated by this decision, but on the other hand, it helps grow the women's game substantially.

I hope they phase it in rather than make all of the aligned players move across next season.

Reply #7
NM, what do you think about this transgender player nominating, do you think it is fair?

I'm concerned that they'll be immediately bigger and stronger than any opponent, we are not talking about an average person as she is a former Olympian!

Even so, if it wasn't an former Olympian is it fair?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
NM, what do you think about this transgender player nominating, do you think it is fair?

I'm concerned that they'll be immediately bigger and stronger than any opponent, we are not talking about an average person as she is a former Olympian!

Not quite Olympian LP.  I understand she was a member of the handball team that failed to qualify.

Reply #9

To be honest, I'm really conflicted over this one. I'm obviously very supportive of everyone in the LGBTQI community, but I'm also such a huge supporter of women's sport, particularly the AFLW. My main concern with the whole situation is what sort of negative impact it would have on the marketability of the sport.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I condone the anticipated commentary, but in a country that can't even agree on SSM, I don't think as a society we're capable of being open minded enough about a trans woman playing in our elite competition. I've already seen the plethora of disgusting and derogatory comments on articles relating to Hannah, that would only escalate further if she were to be drafted.

While the AFLW is still in its infancy, I am worried that a move this big will hurt the image of the sport and give the haters even more ammunition to mock it. If this were 10 years down the track and AFLW was fully established with greater credibility in the larger community, then sure, I'd have no problem with it. I just don't want the competition to be hindered before its given a chance to thrive, as unfair as that is.

Not that it was publicised, but a number of highly talented female players were overlooked in last years draft due to concerns about their mental health and history of depression related issues. Part of the reasoning behind that was that the clubs was concerned how they would cope with such intense and often negative scrutiny. Given Hannah has admitted to having experienced similar issues (understandably) due to her transition, surely that same level of caution should be shown?

To add to that, I've read a number of other trans women themselves question the move. Given Hannah has only been transitioning for two years, her body is still only part way through its process of conversion. I know that her testosterone levels are below what the IOC requires of its athletes to compete in womens sports, but given that this is a fairly uncommon issue, are we sure that this is a correct way to measure eligibility? One woman, who was actually the first trans female to play in a womens football team, is quite against the move due to the strength that Hannah still would have at this stage of her transition.

So yeah, basically, if this were 10 years down the track, and maybe Hannah was a few more years into her transition, I'd be very much in favour of the move. I love to see diversity in our sports people. But I fear that the timing isn't right given the immaturity of the competition and current societal views on trans people and LGBTQI issues in general.

Reply #10
Is there another AFLW player that even close to Mouncey's size, I read somewhere she is +190cm and 90kg of muscle!

Excluding McKinnon who is 189cm, most AFLW rucks are around the 180cm mark.

I doubt any others would approach the 90kg of lean muscle, we can ignore the search on that one!

btw., I think it is very wrong not to publish the AFLW playing weights, if they want to be role models for anorexic teenagers or children they shouldn't be hiding those numbers!

There is no doubt they are healthy, why not publish healthy weights?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
Not quite Olympian LP.  I understand she was a member of the handball team that failed to qualify.

Irrespective, I think that professional competition for transgender athletes needs to be with males.

Males and females shouldn't compete physically, irrespective as the sexes are not equal physically.

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
Is there another AFLW player that even close to Mouncey's size, I read somewhere she is +190cm and 90kg of muscle!

Excluding McKinnon who is 189cm, most AFLW rucks are around the 180cm mark.

I doubt any others would approach the 90kg of lean muscle, we can ignore the search on that one!

btw., I think it is very wrong not to publish the AFLW playing weights, if they want to be role models for anorexic teenagers or children they shouldn't be hiding those numbers!

There is no doubt they are healthy, why not publish healthy weights?

No one comes close to her size in the AFLW. I agree about the playing weights, it's kind of weird that they don't list them.

Reply #13
No one comes close to her size in the AFLW. I agree about the playing weights, it's kind of weird that they don't list them.
Ive yet to meet a female who's weight wasnt a sensitive topic so perhaps they elected to leave it out to avoid the discomfort??

Guys don't care as much about weight imho.

Anyway.  We shall see.

Paul Hewson

Reply #14
Ive yet to meet a female who's weight wasnt a sensitive topic so perhaps they elected to leave it out to avoid the discomfort??

If this was a Karate, Taekwondo, Boxing or Judo tournament everybody would know the weights by a weight class!

I think what the AFLW is doing just reinforces the stereotype, I've talked this through with my wife and relatives and we concluded it was a decision made by a male! You think if Tayla Harris was 70kg of muscle she'd want everybody to know it!
The Force Awakens!