Skip to main content
Topic: New VFLW licence (Read 6233 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New VFLW licence

Reply #15
If this was a Karate, Taekwondo, Boxing or Judo tournament everybody would know the weights by a weight class!

I think what the AFLW is doing just reinforces the stereotype, I've talked this through with my wife and relatives and we concluded it was a decision made by a male! You think if Tayla Harris was 70kg of muscle she'd want everybody to know it!

I disagree. But you guys have reached a consensus that can't possibly be biased so we can declare you correct if you wish.

Like I said, Ive yet to meet a female where weight wasn't a sensitive topic irrespective of what they look like.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #16
FWIW, the most dominant player in the AFLW - Erin Phillips, who is ALL muscle and a freak athlete is listed as 173cm and 75kg.

Reply #17
It seems that there's no specific rule/policy on transgender players and, as things stand, there's no obstacle to Hannah's registration.

Apparently Liz Cambage is considering putting her hand up for an AFLW spot.  She makes Hannah Mouncey seem quite small  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
It seems that there's no specific rule/policy on transgender players and, as things stand, there's no obstacle to Hannah's registration.

Apparently Liz Cambage is considering putting her hand up for an AFLW spot.  She makes Hannah Mouncey seem quite small  :)

Even if she is eligible, it will be interesting to see if any club  will take the punt.

Reply #19

Regardless of the reason Cambage has been very divisive in previous team environments, would we want her?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Even if she is eligible, it will be interesting to see if any club  will take the punt.

Drop or torpedo NM?  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
^^

I understand the reference to the banana kick, and the double entendra alluding to her mental facilities, but in today's PC world, somehow you can call her a drop kick, but banana sits in dangerous territory.

Unfortunately, we have to be careful these days.  It quickly goes from zero to 100 with no in between and you get labelled a bigot.

Of course, I don't think you are as I find you a very even and level headed poster.

Sorry to say this stuff...

:-[

Paul Hewson

Reply #22
The AFLW have scuppered Mouncey's plans for 2018.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year, radio is reporting Hanna Mouncey is Pre-OP. media reported her as transitioned, but I gather Pre-OP mean s not quite yet. I'm not sure what that means physically and mentally to someone already in transition therapy, and what effects it has physically when they resume training, etc.,etc..

She played three games only in 2017 and destroyed the opposition with 17 goals despite allegedly being the slowest player on the ground. Opposition reports said that despite the lack of speed if her club could get the football in her area she was clearly more powerful than any other player on the ground. AFLW scouts had declared she would be a top ten pick.

I wonder what Hanna's bone density would be like, on SEN they said she was about the same size and weight as The Ox! Can you imagine the devastation a collision on field could cause, what would be the legal or insurance ramifications?

A co-worker made an interesting point today, if someone was transitioning the other way, would they be allowed to compete with inflated testosterone levels? We sort of concluded there is some asymmetry in this debate, in that the transition is not equally the same in both directions. Going one way looks like downhill skiing, while the other would be climbing Everest!

Lots of questions, most of them unanswered.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
^^

I understand the reference to the banana kick, and the double entendra alluding to her mental facilities, but in today's PC world, somehow you can call her a drop kick, but banana sits in dangerous territory.

Unfortunately, we have to be careful these days.  It quickly goes from zero to 100 with no in between and you get labelled a bigot.

Of course, I don't think you are as I find you a very even and level headed poster.

Sorry to say this stuff...

:-[

Nah fair call on that, have removed the post. Sorry if it offended anyone.

Reply #24
The AFLW have scuppered Mouncey's plans for 2018.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year, radio is reporting Hanna Mouncey is Pre-OP. media reported her as transitioned, but I gather Pre-OP mean s not quite yet. I'm not sure what that means physically and mentally to someone already in transition therapy, and what effects it has physically when they resume training, etc.,etc..

She played three games only in 2017 and destroyed the opposition with 17 goals despite allegedly being the slowest player on the ground. Opposition reports said that despite the lack of speed if her club could get the football in her area she was clearly more powerful than any other player on the ground. AFLW scouts had declared she would be a top ten pick.

I wonder what Hanna's bone density would be like, on SEN they said she was about the same size and weight as The Ox! Can you imagine the devastation a collision on field could cause, what would be the legal or insurance ramifications?

A co-worker made an interesting point today, if someone was transitioning the other way, would they be allowed to compete with inflated testosterone levels? We sort of concluded there is some asymmetry in this debate, in that the transition is not equally the same in both directions. Going one way looks like downhill skiing, while the other would be climbing Everest!

Lots of questions, most of them unanswered.

I think the AFL have made the right decision on this one. It's interesting that they've said that their decision specifically relates to this years draft, and next years competition, which leaves the door ajar for Hannah to nominate in subsequent years.

They did mention the maturity of the Competition as a deciding factor also, which I think is on the money.

Reply #25
Nah fair call on that, have removed the post. Sorry if it offended anyone.

All good nm.  I am sure we all know nothing was meant by it.

Paul Hewson