Skip to main content
Topic: The Third Test in the Ashes Series - WACA (14 December) (Read 31770 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Third Test in the Ashes Series - WACA (14 December)

Reply #45
If Marsh has "earned his spot" .... I call bulldust.

Maxwell should be pretty aggrieved right now, maybe he should change his surname to Marsh and move to NSW to ensure selection.
Vics have been copping it on the Test selection front for some time - Dean Jones, Cameron White, Glenn Maxwell, Brad Hodge, Rob Quiney, Aaron Finch, David Hussey, Matthew Elliott, Marcus Harris (should have been picked ahead of Renshaw) were either unfairly dumped or never got a deserved chance at Test level.  Even Darren Lehmann couldn't get a gig until he went back to South Australia.

The NSW Cricket Mafia have had it their own way for too long.  And now Trevor Hohns is promoting Queenslanders before their time.

At least it means the Vics have dominated the Sheffield Shield for the past 10 seasons or thereabouts.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #46
I heard on the radio today that Marsh has only bowled 21 overs this season.  Is that correct?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #47
Yep.  Apparently he's an allrounder.... Cant bat and can't bowl... Allround crap.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #49
... which means his bowling is restricted i.e. can't bowl.  And we know from his test record thus far that he isn't a test no. 6's bootlaces.  So the justification for being picked is that he is  good bloke or something of that ilk?

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #50
... which means his bowling is restricted i.e. can't bowl.  And we know from his test record thus far that he isn't a test no. 6's bootlaces.  So the justification for being picked is that he is  good bloke or something of that ilk?

I think you've nailed it Prof!

Imagine how good out test record would be if the selectors picked the best 12 players for each test  ???
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51
I heard on the radio today that Marsh has only bowled 21 overs this season.  Is that correct?

I was debating this very point last week, that is clearly proof to me he's been picked for batting which just doesn't make sense.

As a batsmen he'd be well down the pecking order.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
Vics have been copping it on the Test selection front for some time - Dean Jones, Cameron White, Glenn Maxwell, Brad Hodge, Rob Quiney, Aaron Finch, David Hussey, Matthew Elliott, Marcus Harris (should have been picked ahead of Renshaw) were either unfairly dumped or never got a deserved chance at Test level.  Even Darren Lehmann couldn't get a gig until he went back to South Australia.

The NSW Cricket Mafia have had it their own way for too long.  And now Trevor Hohns is promoting Queenslanders before their time.

At least it means the Vics have dominated the Sheffield Shield for the past 10 seasons or thereabouts.

Yep, I agree with much of that, going back 10 years to 2006/7, Vic have won 5 titles & Tassie 3  Yeahh !!!!   :-)

but NSW players have certainly dominated the Aus side in that time.  Obviously that doesn't help their side with regards the domestic comp.

It has been going on for longer than that though, and to be fair, is not restricted to Vic players not getting a go.  I could mention a few Tassie lads who were battering down the door back as far as the 90s through to recent years.......Jamie Cox, Deane Hills, Michael DiVenuto through to the likes of Luke Butterworth.  In fact if it weren't for Boonie, who paved the way for Tassie players to at least be considered, I hate to think how many players might have been overlooked.

Mind you, I can remember a certain Australian side of around 1981 I reckon that had at least 7 West Australians in it, so the NSW dominance hasn't always been the case.  Here's my attempt at dragging those names from my memory:  Graham Wood, Bruce Laird, Kim Hughes, Bruce Yardley, Rod Marsh, Terry Alderman & Dennis Lillee......there may have been someone else as well, can't remember !

cheers

Mal.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #53
Here we go...for anyone interested in this cr@p !

1st Test, 1981 vs Pakistan.  The Australian side, 7 from WA....no-one from NSW (Border & Thommo had both moved to Qld by this stage)

B M Laird
G M Wood
G S Chappell*
K J Hughes
G N Yallop
A R Border
R W Marsh†
B Yardley
D K Lillee
J R Thomson
T M Alderman

Reply #54
Dean Jones, Cameron White, Glenn Maxwell, Brad Hodge, Rob Quiney, Aaron Finch, David Hussey, Matthew Elliott, Marcus Harris

Jones and Elliott had fair runs at Test level, maybe Jones got pushed early?

White - not god enough imo.

Maxwell - well  maybe, but clearly has pissed a lot of people off and his batting has never been consistent until very recently.

Hodge - yep, ripped off big time.

Quiney, Hussey and Finch - meh. Hussey was never going to replace his brother?

Harris - no idea tbh.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #55
Jamie Siddons was the worst case IMO...had the runs on the board and was just ignored through being disliked....think Siddons was the 3rd highest run scorer in Shield cricket and ultra consistent but couldnt crack a game for Aus, think he played the one ODI.

Steve Waugh even stuck it up him with a now infamous sledge  where he said the following after Siddons had a crack at him:

In a  Sheffield Shield match Steve Waugh was taking his time getting ready to face his first ball.

Jamie Siddons had enough and remarked: “For f***’s sake, mate, it’s not a f***ing test match!”.

To which Waugh replied: “Of course it’s not… You’re here”.

Think that summed up how Waugh felt about Siddons and everyone knows the likes of the Aus selectors/John Buchanan let Steve Waugh have a big say in selection issues and that Siddons would never get a game while Waugh was in charge.....

Reply #56
It's pretty easy saying this guy or that guy should have played.

Start with who they should have replaced, then we will get a clearer picture.

Suggesting blokes like Finch and White were hardly done by is garbage.
Harris? Really?

Dean Jones and Elliott had plenty of chances.
Hodge? He could undoubtedly play but was he better than Ponting, S Waugh, M Waugh, D Martin, M Hussey? They are the guys he was fighting for a spot with.

Reply #57
Hodge? He could undoubtedly play but was he better than Ponting, S Waugh, M Waugh, D Martin, M Hussey? They are the guys he was fighting for a spot with.

Yes for some of them!

Hodge clearly had the runs on the board literally, more so than M Waugh or Martin. Martin is another mystery selection on many occasions.

Back then though, the test and one day teams were one and the same, it was like playing for NSW and Australia. When you got a gig at one the other was an automatic, the old jokes about one cap on your head and the other in a brown paper bag for later don't exist for nothing! ;)

Are you saying they failed?

I suspect you'll find Jones got the kibosh because of his mouth, not his performances.

Elliott's problem was that Australia was generally crap at the time he was playing, and he got his last gig to the West Indies with a team playing on pitches that were designed to simulate lunar landing environment. He was an opener forced to bat at three behind Langer and Hayden which seems fair, with Lehman and Martyn clinging to diminishing careers as support. That was a weird time for Australian test cricket, they had Katich batting just above Gilchrist who was captaining, no offense to Gilchrist but seriously? :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #58
It's pretty easy saying this guy or that guy should have played.

Start with who they should have replaced, then we will get a clearer picture.

Suggesting blokes like Finch and White were hardly done by is garbage.
Harris? Really?

Better than Martin IMO.....Steve Waugh picked the coach John Buchanan and picked the team, thats how it operated....he wanted a weak operator like Buchanan so he could control things and as long as the team were winning it functioned that way...players out of the mates loop like Hodge never got a look in no matter how many Shield runs they piled up....

Reply #59
Yes for some of them!

Hodge clearly had the runs on the board literally, more so than M Waugh or Martin. Martin is another mystery selection on many occasions.

Hmm, gee Martyn was a class player though, average of 46.3.  I don't think he got the credit he deserved because he batted at his best away from Australia.  Averaged almost 46 away from home as well & hit 9 of his 13 hundreds away.....that says to he how valuable he was, particularly on the subcontinent & South Africa.