Skip to main content
Topic: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game (Read 66341 times) previous topic - next topic

Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game

I'm tipping the Nthmond ferals will be out to burn the premiership flag come the Rnd 1 final siren on Thursday 22nd of March 2018!

A Merry Christmas to all, we've got them covered! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Re: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game

Reply #1
Nearest the pin round 1 team?

B   Byrne, Ciaran   Silvagni, Alex (R)   Plowman, Lachlan
HB   Mullett, Aaron   Jones, Liam   Marchbank, Caleb
C   Curnow, Charlie   Cripps, Patrick   Murphy, Marc
HF   Garlett, Jarrod   Casboult, Levi   Lamb, Jed
F   Pickett, Jarrod   Weitering, Jacob   Silvagni, Jack
R   Kreuzer, Matthew   Kennedy, Matthew   Petrevski-Seton, Sam
IC   Dow, Paddy   Simpson, Kade   Wright, Matthew
   Curnow, Edward      

E Fisher, Zac   Lang, Darcy   McKay, Harry

Reply #2
With 16 defenders in the team and 11 forwards multi role guys like Weitering / Garlett have to be setting themselves for the forward line this year.

Wings were a massive problem for us last year. Boek / Thomas / Graham / Ed / etc struggled to transition us out of defense with any venom. Murphy / Curnow would make it a strength. Mullett or Lang will be important for this also.

Would love to see Samo start as our direct replacement for Gibbs.

Reply #3
With 16 defenders in the team and 11 forwards multi role guys like Weitering / Garlett have to be setting themselves for the forward line this year.

Wings were a massive problem for us last year. Boek / Thomas / Graham / Ed / etc struggled to transition us out of defense with any venom. Murphy / Curnow would make it a strength. Mullett or Lang will be important for this also.

Would love to see Samo start as our direct replacement for Gibbs.

Reckon Mullett will play on the wing because of his good disposal.....also think OShea will play the Docherty role across half back, he reads the play well and
wasnt recruited to play in the VFL..
Not convinced about Byrne, Lamb, J, Garlett for round 1..I also have Dow only 50/50...still a lightly built kid and may need some VFL games...
Agree Weitering may be use forward at times but I think he will start across half back initially in the season, didnt think he was that great this last season and needs to be settled...

Reply #4
Reckon Mullett will play on the wing because of his good disposal.....also think OShea will play the Docherty role across half back, he reads the play well and
Not convinced about Byrne, Lamb, J, Garlett for round 1..I also have Dow only 50/50...still a lightly built kid and may need some VFL games...
Agree Weitering may be use forward at times but I think he will start across half back initially in the season, didnt think he was that great this last season and needs to be settled...

Harry McKay playing will mean Weitering can stay in the backline.

Lang will be an interesting one. Struggle to find a place for him - I don't see him as a forward so he'd need to push out a Dow / Ed Curnow. Hoping Cunningham is too good to leave out this year also.

Reply #5

garlett and o'brien on the respective wings!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #6
garlett and o'brien on the respective wings!

Garlett would be very handy if he made the wing his spot. Excellent endurance / speed. O'Brien? Might find it tough to push into the round 1 team for me.

Reply #7
I'll play.

Simpson,          ACOS,          Plowman

Weitering,         Jones,          Williamson

Mullett,            Kennedy,       SPS

SOS,               H,                 Lang

Charlie,           Levi,             Pickett

R: Tractor,       Crippa,          Murph

Int: Edward C, Marchbank, ZF (Zac), Garlett.

E: Shaw, Lamb, Byrne.

(Paddy Dow's first game will be delayed due to shoulder rehab).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #8
Nearest the pin round 1 team?

B   Byrne, Ciaran   Silvagni, Alex (R)   Plowman, Lachlan
HB   Mullett, Aaron   Jones, Liam   Marchbank, Caleb
C   Curnow, Charlie   Cripps, Patrick   Murphy, Marc
HF   Garlett, Jarrod   Casboult, Levi   Lamb, Jed
F   Pickett, Jarrod   Weitering, Jacob   Silvagni, Jack
R   Kreuzer, Matthew   Kennedy, Matthew   Petrevski-Seton, Sam
IC   Dow, Paddy   Simpson, Kade   Wright, Matthew
   Curnow, Edward      

E Fisher, Zac   Lang, Darcy   McKay, Harry

Look at the names on the bench and Emg. Think we are finally building getting a deeper list. I'm under no illusions that means very little until we start climbing up the ladder BUT this is the deepest list I have seen in a bloody long time competition for spots will be red hot!

Easily can argue Willo, O'Shea, Shaw, Cunningham, Polson, McCreadie and or Thomas could be on bench or emergencies as well. 

Looking at the squad I reckon the likes of Kerridge, Graham, Lebois and older guys like Rowe, Phillips and Thomas are going to have to rely on a heap of injures or play their career best to break into the team.

Good signs..... ;) 

Reply #9
Agree Weitering should play back. It's clearly what he does best.

Assuming injury free, Harry should get the gig at FF for quite some time.....

O'She an interesting one. You'd reckon he wasn't put on the senior list to play 2s?

Ditto Shaw....and even with the Doc out, hard to find a spot for Willo - wow.

Should Jack get a gig ahead of Matty W? Tough call too.

O'Brien will play 1s before Dow, much much fitter guy, an elite runner AND a booming left foot....and Dow's shoulder.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #10
As much as I am an advocate for a strong set of KPPs, I doubt we can have Kreuzer, Jones, Weitering, ACoS, Casboult, McKay, Silvagni, C. Curnow and Cripps all in one team.

Excluding Jones, that is a mighty slow set of players, we'd be run over early if they were not dominant overhead.

The situation is worsened by the lack of significant speed from medium and smalls like Plowman, Marchbank, E.Curnow, Wright, Lamb, Kennedy and SPS. They aren't slow, but they are certainly not fast enough to cover too many big tall slows.

For this reason we might find Fisher, O'Shea or Lang in the starting line up. Personally, I see O'Shea as the ready-made replacement for Docherty.

Hard to argue if they are fit why Cunningham, Williamson or Macreadie don't get a look in, they have shown as much as any of our other young players. Hard to see Byrne getting a run ahead of any of them.

It's going to be interesting to see what we do in 2018, especially if some of the training whispers about who is training with what group are true!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
As much as I am an advocate for a strong set of KPPs, I doubt we can have Kreuzer, Jones, Weitering, ACoS, Casboult, McKay, Silvagni, C. Curnow and Cripps all in one team.

Excluding Jones, that is a mighty slow set of players, we'd be run over early if they were not dominant overhead.

The situation is worsened by the lack of significant speed from medium and smalls like Plowman, Marchbank, E.Curnow, Wright, Lamb, Kennedy and SPS. They aren't slow, but they are certainly not fast enough to cover too many big tall slows.

For this reason we might find Fisher, O'Shea or Lang in the starting line up. Personally, I see O'Shea as the ready-made replacement for Docherty.

Hard to argue if they are fit why Cunningham, Williamson or Macreadie don't get a look in, they have shown as much as any of our other young players. Hard to see Byrne getting a run ahead of any of them.

It's going to be interesting to see what we do in 2018, especially if some of the training whispers about who is training with what group are true!

The one thing i've been banging on about for years is starting to creep into other peoples conversations more and more....
Where are our forwards and why do we have so many backmen!

Agree on the speed thing, but acos is deceptively quick.

Personally, i rate all of Jones, (Rowe when fit), A. Silvagni, Marchbank, Weitering and Plowman as better than any of our forwards...Curnowfides could certainly outdo them all, but hasn't just yet. BUT, i don't think we can fit all of them in our backline, nor would we want to.

Reply #12
The one thing i've been banging on about for years is starting to creep into other peoples conversations more and more....
Where are our forwards and why do we have so many backmen!

Agree on the speed thing, but acos is deceptively quick.

Personally, i rate all of Jones, (Rowe when fit), A. Silvagni, Marchbank, Weitering and Plowman as better than any of our forwards...Curnowfides could certainly outdo them all, but hasn't just yet. BUT, i don't think we can fit all of them in our backline, nor would we want to.

You see, if we still had those "Like" buttons I wouldn't need to post anything to agree! ;)

But I accept those like buttons can be a little disconcerting for some people. ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
B     Plowman      Weitering       Simpson
HB   O’Shea         Jones            Marchbank
C     Mullett         Kennedy        Curnow, E
HF   Wright         Casboult        Silvagni, J
F     Pickett         Curnow, C      Petrevski-Seton
R     Kreuzer       Cripps            Murphy
IC    Fisher, Thomas, Williamson, McKay        
E     Cuningham, Garlett, O'Brien
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #14
B     Plowman      Weitering       Simpson
HB   O’Shea         Jones            Marchbank
C     Mullett         Kennedy        Curnow, E
HF   Wright         Casboult        Silvagni, J
F     Pickett         Curnow, C      Petrevski-Seton
R     Kreuzer       Cripps            Murphy
IC    Fisher, Thomas, Williamson, McKay        
E     Cuningham, Garlett, O'Brien

Reckon you nailed it DJ but I think Lang might be in for big Harry.....not many would have Thomas in either but like you
I think we will go for some experience over a newbie like Dow initially....