Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Round 5: Carlton vs Adelaide at Norwood (Read 8100 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Round 5: Carlton vs Adelaide at Norwood

Reply #30
Fair enough.
I wasn't complaining about Downie as a defender per se, but he ability to control the ruck and guide her taps has been badly missed.
Nor am I complaining about the rise of Bree Moody. She is clearly still earning the game and appears to have a real future. But at the moment, we simply are not making anything of her work.

I am inclined to agree with you on the fitness front: ours has only gone backwards relatively. In absolute terms we are probably about the same. But I really need us to improve. The first side to have a real advantage physically over the others has the opportunity to win flags. I want that to be us.

I also agree that we have changed things somewhat because the AFL put their big, flat feet in where they were not necessary. But more than, we have tried pushing forward to score more often. That brings our zone too far up the field and leaves the defence open for someone with pace and good ball handling when we turn the ball over.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #31
Just a "gut feeling" but I'd like to see Downie play a game at full forward with Vescio either leading out  or playing "at her feet" just to see how it went.

Reply #32
Just a "gut feeling" but I'd like to see Downie play a game at full forward with Vescio either leading out  or playing "at her feet" just to see how it went.

No harm in trying that Lods but it could mean we have two of our better players starved of opportunities.

If we could drive our forward 50 entries a bit deeper (and more often), Downie and Vescio could be a potent combination.  It could also take some attention away from Harris.

I guess another option would be to add Vescio to the midfield rotations.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
No harm in trying that Lods but it could mean we have two of our better players starved of opportunities.

If we could drive our forward 50 entries a bit deeper (and more often), Downie and Vescio could be a potent combination.  It could also take some attention away from Harris.

I guess another option would be to add Vescio to the midfield rotations.

There have been a couple of times this year when Downie's done something and I've thought..."gee that was good" but it's been too few and far between.
With Harris playing out around the 40 or 50, Downie creating a contest and opportunities closer to goal and Vescio as the leading forward or crumber.... it could be worth a shot.

A bit like a Kernahan, Spalding, Pearce setup ;D

Problem of course, as you point out...is getting it down there... and we're a bit light on for our Williams, Koutas, Bradleys and Rattens

Reply #34
WE MADE SOME TERRIBLE TRADES WHICH ARE NOW HAUNTING US.

TAYLAH HARRIS IS OVERRATED.

VESCIO PLAYS FROM BEHIND FAR TOO OFTEN.

MIDFIELD IS SLOW.

GENERAL SKILLS ARE VERY POOR.

DISPOSALS ABYSMAL.

Reply #35
WE MADE SOME TERRIBLE TRADES WHICH ARE NOW HAUNTING US.

TAYLAH HARRIS IS OVERRATED.

VESCIO PLAYS FROM BEHIND FAR TOO OFTEN.

MIDFIELD IS SLOW.

GENERAL SKILLS ARE VERY POOR.

DISPOSALS ABYSMAL.

Taylah Harris is the best young key position player in the league. She will be 'better' when we learn to kick to her properly.
Ditto Vescio.

The rest i agree with.

Reply #36
It will be interesting to see what happens next AFLW Trade and Draft period.

The way it's structured a lot of players get to effectively jump ship, and I'm sure new teams coming into the competition will be given some golden picks to pirate away a few stars, not unlike when GWS entered the AFL.

So as a club you want to be pretty sure, win or lose, you've made an environment the players want to be in!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
Realistically we have gone the correct route.  We have highlighted some good young players for the key positions.  Have got some more experienced mids in that have good leadership prospects, and the future midfielders will likely run faster, harder and for longer than the ones currently playing.

This is an emerging competition, and we appear to have a good defense and forwardline and each new crop of midfielders are likely to give us more than the previous moving forward!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38
It will be interesting to see what happens next AFLW Trade and Draft period.

The way it's structured a lot of players get to effectively jump ship, and I'm sure new teams coming into the competition will be given some golden picks to pirate away a few stars, not unlike when GWS entered the AFL.

So as a club you want to be pretty sure, win or lose, you've made an environment the players want to be in!

If its anything like last year, you get the option to keep a certain % of your players, everyone else becomes free agents.

I'm sure the new clubs will get a couple of priority picks too.