Skip to main content
Topic: Goaltracker 2018 (Read 31647 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Goaltracker 2018

Reply #30
Wright is a goalkicker because he has goal sense and kicks straight, I'd be kicking the ball to him too ....Jack has a few areas to work on and kicking for goal is one of them.
Jack is also holding the ball in weird fashion too when he kicks for goal and doesnt seem consistent in his approach.....needs some time with Sav....
When you work in starvation corners like the pockets and flanks you have to be able to convert, you look at Richmonds Townsend and he probably has less natural ability than Jack but you give him four or five direct shots on goal and he will kick most of them but with Jack its a toss of the coin.
Richmonds forwards are not big names but the key is they all do the basics very well..

Reply #31
But is he targeted as much as Wright or Garlett (I accept that Harry is a more preferred target)?

Jack has to find a way to get on the end of more inside 50s.  It may require more running, better running patterns, better reading of the play, greater understanding of his teammates' ability and more effort.

Is Wright targetted as much as Casboult?

There is a pecking order and nobody in their right mind would suggest Jack is near the top of that. He probably plays as a decoy more than he plays as a genuine target....making space for Curnowfides and Casboult.

Am i worried about Jack and his output? No.

Reply #32
Silvagnis tally has diminished because he hasn't been in the team!

Silvagni's 2018 form is crap, he doesn't really deserve a spot but gets a spot because of work ethic and sacrifice, some may suggest he gets it because of his surname but that is a shallow interpretation caused by a conflict of interest.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33
Silvagni's 2018 form is crap, he doesn't really deserve a spot but gets a spot because of work ethic and sacrifice, some may suggest he gets it because of his surname but that is a shallow interpretation caused by a conflict of interest.

Form has been crap, but effort has not.

He is a kid. His form will resemble a roller coaster. His career to date has been filled with peaks....troughs are inevitable and we are seeing some now. There will be more peaks soon enough.

People expect too much from a pick 54-odd who has exceeded all expectations. If it wasn't for his last name, everybody would be a fan.

Reply #34
Form has been crap, but effort has not.

He is a kid. His form will resemble a roller coaster. His career to date has been filled with peaks....troughs are inevitable and we are seeing some now. There will be more peaks soon enough.

People expect too much from a pick 54-odd who has exceeded all expectations. If it wasn't for his last name, everybody would be a fan.

If it wasn't for his name, he wouldn't be on the list. Why pick him at 53 ? Ben Crocker and Menegola were later picks.

Reply #35
He did kick six goals in an U/18 championship game and was a bottom age draftee at the time of selection.
He was worth a shot.

Reply #36
If it wasn't for his name, he wouldn't be on the list. Why pick him at 53 ? Ben Crocker and Menegola were later picks.

Why did we pick him, when we could've got them?

Let me ask you a counter question.

See how many of these names you know...
Josh Schoenfeld
Marcus Adams
Tom Cole
Riley Bonner
Harley Balic
Rhys Mathieson
Brandon White
Matthew Flynn
Mitch King
Corey Wagner
Blake Hardwick
Aidyn Johnson
Liam Hulett
Sam Skinner
Bailey Williams
Bailey Rice
Oleg Markov
Tyrone Leonardis
Mackenzie Willis

They were the 19 players chosen before Jack. Why didn't every other club pick them?

What about these?
Mitch Brown
Sam Collins
Jordan Dawson
Kurt Mutimer
Tom Phillips
Ryan Gardner
Declan Mountford
Shane Yarran
Matthew Allen
Rupert Wills
Yestin Eades

They were the 11 blokes taken after Jack and before the 2 blokes you mentioned.

Guess what including us, 17 teams passed on them during those 30 (+jack) names i just posted. The only team not on that list is Adelaide who only had 2 picks in that draft, both in the first round.

Reply #37
I can read names off a list, and I'm quite aware of who was picked before and after Jack. There was nothing to distinguish him from those others other than his name.

I know :

Marcus Adams
Riley Bonner
Harley Balic
Rhys Mathieson
Blake Hardwick
Sam Skinner
Bailey Rice
Oleg Markov
Mitch Brown
Jordan Dawson
Tom Phillips
Shane Yarran
Yestin Eades

Reply #38
I can read names off a list, and I'm quite aware of who was picked before and after Jack. There was nothing to distinguish him from those others other than his name.

I know :

Marcus Adams
Riley Bonner
Harley Balic
Rhys Mathieson
Blake Hardwick
Sam Skinner
Bailey Rice
Oleg Markov
Mitch Brown
Jordan Dawson
Tom Phillips
Shane Yarran
Yestin Eades

and how many of them have had a better AFL career to this point in time?

Every year there are hits and misses.
Every year every club, passes over someone who should've been taken sooner.
Every year someone suggests a club has failed because Player A was taken after player b.......at the same time ignoring players c -> z taken in between.

Reply #39
and how many of them have had a better AFL career to this point in time?

Every year there are hits and misses.
Every year every club, passes over someone who should've been taken sooner.
Every year someone suggests a club has failed because Player A was taken after player b.......at the same time ignoring players c -> z taken in between.

Even if every one of those players had a better career to date, you would still pull out the "hits and misses" line.

My point is that the only reason he was taken at that pick is because of his name. He is a type of player we have in legion - an honest toiler who tries, but really has limited impact. Any chance we could try something  different ? Maybe pick up a lazy bastard who actually impacts games ?

Reply #40
Tend to agree, his name would have had some pulling power , he hasn't impacted games, not sure the long term viability with SOJ , hasn't kicked on seem slow and doesn't make the most out of the chances he does get

Reply #41

We had to use pick 53 for Jack because Essenscum picked him. I reckon we did the right thing using our father/son pick then because Jack is a skilful, natural footballer with potential AND you can't have a Silvagni on the Essenscum list.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #42
We had to use pick 53 for Jack because Essenscum picked him. I reckon we did the right thing using our father/son pick then because Jack is a skilful, natural footballer with potential AND you can't have a Silvagni on the Essenscum list.

I thought Dodoro was having a lend. At any rate, I don't have anything personal against Jack. He is simply the type of player that is starting to give me the sh1ts.

Reply #43
Even if every one of those players had a better career to date, you would still pull out the "hits and misses" line.

My point is that the only reason he was taken at that pick is because of his name. He is a type of player we have in legion - an honest toiler who tries, but really has limited impact. Any chance we could try something  different ? Maybe pick up a lazy bastard who actually impacts games ?

Like Chris Yarran?

The only reason he was taken at THAT pick was because the bombers put a bid on him for the father/son.
Had they not have done that, maybe he would've been rookied.
Given that there was SFA after him, that doesn't really matter anyway.

Reply #44
Time will tell with Jack.  But that is running out and faster than I'd hoped