Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 6: Pre Game Paranoia: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 12850 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 6: Pre Game Paranoia: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #60
if that is really the best they can do (the match committee) they should resign en masse.

Laughable...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #61
All depends upon the game plan! ;)

Who said that we have to do like for like?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
Would've kept Lamb in for JJ. But hopefully the in's can bring a bit more to the table and break our duck for the year. Hope Kennedy isn't underdone again.
Was really impressed with Phillips and Zac Fisher last week. I think Fish has progressed further than SPS and the latter has stalled after a promising first season. Still love em both.
Want to see competitiveness and want to make the Dogs earn every goal.
Also wouldn't mind seeing Matty Wright hit the scoreboard ffs, has been playing a bit higher the last couple games and I reckon he reads the play real well, couple cheapies out the back would be good. Blues by 14

Reply #63

Perhaps the MC considered creating difficult match ups for the Doggies ...

My main concern is that we haven’t been sucked in to naming injured players  :-X

I thought that Garlett was very patchy last week and failed to chase on several occasions.  I’m a little surprised that he was omitted but I think it may be beneficial for him to work on his defensive pressure in the NBs.  I’m not really sure why Lamb got a recall and I don’t think he’ll be missed.

O’Shea needs to repay the MC’s faith.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #64

My main concern is that we haven’t been sucked in to naming injured players  :-X

I thought that Garlett was very patchy last week and failed to chase on several occasions.  I’m a little surprised that he was omitted but I think it may be beneficial for him to work on his defensive pressure in the NBs.  I’m not really sure why Lamb got a recall and I don’t think he’ll be missed.

O’Shea needs to repay the MC’s faith.

Well, you always know it will be dry and ideal conditions at Etihad, so why not try something a bit different and take lots of marks and draw lots of frees from undersized defenders.

I'm waiting to see something different from us, our game plan suiting our playing list, not just a copy of the stuff everybody else is doing!

Over the last couple of years I've really started to doubt the intelligence of AFL coaching panels in general, the bulk of them seem to be followers not trend setters, and they try to follow game plans not suited to the playing list they have available.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65

No-one says we have to do like for like - but when we seem already to be taller and slower than them, on Etihad and at night why do we go taller and slower?

Sound point, but what match-uo difficulties in particular?  I get going tall up forward gives us a height advantage, but the risk is if marks aren't taken (and on recent history they usually aren't) that opens up the Doggies chance to run from defence against our taller & slower forwards.  To my mind a risky strategy and not one I am overly keen on. But what is worse is that instead we seem to have loaded up on key defenders against a team that has ONE key forward.  We may well have them massively outgunned in the air in our defence but what if they don't bomb it in but instead lower the eyes?  At ground level and on the lead we risk being cut up badly with that line-up.

Anyway that is my amateur observers 2 cents worth, I certainly hope to be proved wrong.    

Reply #66
No-one says we have to do like for like - but when we seem already to be taller and slower than them, on Etihad and at night why do we go taller and slower?

Etihad is always ideal conditions, hot or cold, day or night, it's never any different unless the idiots leave the roof open in the lead up to a game and it rains!

If tall forwards cannot mark the ball in the dry, uniform lighting, almost windless conditions of Etihad, you may as well find some replacements!

The media bang on about diminishing skills, but FFS, half the AFL clubs train indoors now when it rains, so unfamiliar it is for them to play in drizzly conditions.

As for running out of defense, you can only run out of defense when you have space to run into, and free opponents up the field to overlap with.

Although I'm a bit confused about the omissions, because superficially I would peg Garlett and Lamb as two of our better defensive forwards. A couple of weeks back I had Marchbank listed as one of the main offenders who failed to chase when we turned the ball over, Lamb was also one I listed but playing him out of position was the problem there, Plowman, Simmo, Cripps, Casboult were also going at 50% in one direction much of the time. Now Cripps is captain! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #67
We have them covered as far as them kicking long to a F50 target is concerned so our mids have to really smother their forward run in the defensive arc ahead of our D50 and into the centre of the ground. My guess then is that our mids won't try to press too far forward tonight.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #68
Interesting that the Dog's key backs are Aaron Naughton (5 gamer, 1st season and 195cm, 89kg) and Eaton Wood (187cm, 86kg).....or Cordy at 193cm (90kg).

Compare to Big H (203cm, 100kg) and Levi (201cm, 103kg).

Get the ball in fast and our lads can have a field day! as long as they work hard defensively too!!

Blues by 34.

Harry and/or Levi to kick 6.  ;)

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #70
Interesting that the Dog's key backs are Aaron Naughton (5 gamer, 1st season and 195cm, 89kg) and Eaton Wood (187cm, 86kg).....or Cordy at 193cm (90kg).

Compare to Big H (203cm, 100kg) and Levi (201cm, 103kg).

Get the ball in fast and our lads can have a field day! as long as they work hard defensively too!!

Blues by 34.

Harry and/or Levi to kick 6.  ;)

Yes if we can get it forward quickly to Charlie, Harry and Levi it will be interesting - if they can hang on to the marks of course! Dropping Garlett maybe means we will play more defensively and tight in the midfield and try to disrupt any run the Dogs may generate. They are good scrappers also though so it should be a bit of an arm-wrestle there.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #71
Blues with the challenge to avoid a 0-6 start for the first time

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bulldogs-to-be-bolstered-for-danger-match-against-carlton-20180426-p4zbq7.html

The match hasn’t quite got official "mockbuster" status, but it’s unlikely Channel Seven are particularly excited with how the cards have fallen for this Friday night's clash.
Six days after a forgettable loss to Fremantle in Perth, the Western Bulldogs host Carlton at Etihad Stadium. It’s hardly a match-up with top billing, but sometimes it’s the low-profile matches that are suddenly captivating.   

There’s plenty on the line for both teams. The Bulldogs are delicately placed with a 1-4 record and will be desperate to avoid their season going into freefall. At the same end of the ladder, Carlton are yet to post a victory and run the risk of starting a season with a 0-6 record for the first time.
You need to go back to 1989 and twice in the 19th century - 1897 and 1899 - to find the other times the Blues have opened their season with five straight losses.

Carlton have injury woes of their own, with Matthew Kreuzer to miss again as club medicos err on the side of conservatism with the big ruckman and his groin complaint.
"He’s pretty much right to play," said coach Brendon Bolton. "However as a club we’re going to make a decision not to play just because his training has had no continuity.
"He’s feeling pretty good this week, but we just need more training into him, so he’ll miss.
"He wants to be out there, he’s a warrior.
"His injury is not significant anymore. He’s pretty much right but (he’s had) just no training.
"I think our medical team made a decision which is right."
The Blues are arguably "due" for their first win of 2018 after falling to West Coast by 10 points at the MCG.
"Almost due?" Bolton said with a wry smile. "Every week we’d like to be due.
"There’s just been some circumstances that have made it a little bit challenging.
"(But) our players are embracing that challenge.
"They had a really strong meeting as a group. They’re determined in this next block of games to keep growing and look for the little wins even though (last week) wasn’t the result we totally wanted."

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #72
Yes if we can get it forward quickly to Charlie, Harry and Levi it will be interesting - if they can hang on to the marks of course! Dropping Garlett maybe means we will play more defensively and tight in the midfield and try to disrupt any run the Dogs may generate. They are good scrappers also though so it should be a bit of an arm-wrestle there.

Indeed, who's going to run with Charlie from the Doggies....

If he's the one to kick 6, I'm ok with that  :D
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #73

That would be sweet.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #74

Who is running with Bontempelli?