Skip to main content

Poll

Who would you like to see as the next Captain of the Carlton football club?

Patrick Cripps
[ 39 ] (66.1%)
Sam Docherty
[ 18 ] (30.5%)
Other
[ 2 ] (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Topic: Next Captain (Read 23754 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Next Captain

Reply #90
I know the original source of the rumors Kruddler refers to and it was initally a disgruntled past player.

Actually, since Ratts time it's been the same player as the source for many of these rumors, someone who just wouldn't tow the team line and got the kibosh because of it! The bloke is still sprouting rumors about the current Carlton club even though his AFL career ended up at a foreign club some time ago!

The system is simple, players vote on the members of the leadership group, from the list of top nominations the coaches selected the leadership group, captain and VC from that list. Not all the top nominations make the final cut, and the captain isn't necessarily the top player choice, although Daisy confirmed he thought after voting Murphy was the unanimous player selection for this year, and that was later confirmed a couple of weeks later by the coaches. The proposed captain has to accept the nomination, you cannot be made captain if you do not want it!

The coaches by the way at the time Daisy's opinion was offered refused to confirm or deny Murphy would again be captain. I suppose that is because of the two things that must happen after the player vote.

It has to be that way because the players have no idea who is a keeper and who is a trade bait, you cannot have players select a captain who will be possibly traded at season end, it kills club culture!

Well based on your critique of my supposed source....you are incorrect. That info is describing someone else. Which suggests that multiple players knew.

As for the rest of your post. All that is true. But also doesn't fit.
FWIW, player(s) who were selected in the top handful were exluded from the leadership group....and was never traded.
Player(s) who didn't make the top 10 in the votes were included in the leadership group.

With a process like that....why have a process at all?

Reply #91
Kruddler, I'm telling you the rumours you profligate originate from a source that was around almost a decade ago and have been repeated and distorted many times over and over again since they originally surfaced. They have been around since before Murphy was captain, and go back to even when Judd arrived and was made captain! They have become more vitriolic and distorted year by year.

None of us would seriously question Judd being made captain, and so back then these rumours had no traction.

Our clubs leadership voting process has not changed for a very long time, I understand it's been that way going back at least as far as the Parkin/Brittain era!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #92
First paragraph, I don't assume anything.
I was told what the players were told.
I was told what the coaches decided afterwards.
Either the coaches lied to the players beforehand. Or they changed their mind afterwards and failed to tell the players.
In any event, it breeds mistrust amongst the group, especially when the message trickles down from one of the assistant coaches to at least one of the players at the time.

As for 'remarkable'....i was clearly talking about Simpson, not Murphy. If this type of comprehension is commonplace, i'm not surprised you are still arguing.

Seeing as how you appear not to know the difference between looking for answers and arguing, I doubt you're in a position to be handing out bitchy backhanders for misunderstandings of no great consequence.

Reply #93
You guys can argue until you're blue in the face but spill the beans man!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #94
Kruddler, I'm telling you the rumours you profligate originate from a source that was around almost a decade ago and have been repeated and distorted many times over and over again since they originally surfaced. They have been around since before Murphy was captain, and go back to even when Judd arrived and was made captain! They have become more vitriolic and distorted year by year.

None of us would seriously question Judd being made captain, and so back then these rumours had no traction.

Our clubs leadership voting process has not changed for a very long time, I understand it's been that way going back at least as far as the Parkin/Brittain era!

This is pre-judd era i'm talking.

These rumours were not something i heard in the media before or since. This was from the inner sanctum.

Reply #95
I'm a little confused...if we're talking pre-Judd era what's the relevance for the captain selection process 10 years later. ???

Reply #96
I'm a little confused...if we're talking pre-Judd era what's the relevance for the captain selection process 10 years later. ???

I'm talking pre-judd era dodginess in regards to picking captaincy/leaders.
There was also the Mick era that was famous for controversy regarding the captaincy/leaders.

Paul is suggesting that the club knows best because the players chose Murphy.

I'm calling bollocks due to a history of doctoring in the past.

Reply #97
I'm talking pre-judd era dodginess in regards to picking captaincy/leaders.
There was also the Mick era that was famous for controversy regarding the captaincy/leaders.

Paul is suggesting that the club knows best because the players chose Murphy.

I'm calling bollocks due to a history of doctoring in the past.

No, I'm saying I want straight answers from verifiable sources as to whether the process is legit or corrupt.

Reply #98
If Cripps or Doc are made captain, how do we know the process is now legit, assuming it was ever dodgy ?

Reply #99
No, I'm saying I want straight answers from verifiable sources as to whether the process is legit or corrupt.

So you want the club to come and tell everybody that what they have been doing is dodgy?

Will that help you believe that the next process is not dodgy or is it more likely to be dodgy?

Just realise that the club is not infallible.

Reply #100
So you want the club to come and tell everybody that what they have been doing is dodgy?

Will that help you believe that the next process is not dodgy or is it more likely to be dodgy?

Just realise that the club is not infallible.

I am quite aware that the club is fallible. That's not the point. If they cannot be trusted to correctly follow a basic simple process, then the question of who is elected captain is not only a sham, but it is of complete irrelevance.

Reply #101
I am quite aware that the club is fallible. That's not the point. If they cannot be trusted to correctly follow a basic simple process, then the question of who is elected captain is not only a sham, but it is of complete irrelevance.

It is not irrelevent, but it is not the most pressing issue.

You may have recalled me raging about Trigg almost from day 1. Talked the talk, did SFA about it.

I've also pointed the finger at Andy Mac on more than one occasion too.

Just because we have issues elsewhere, does not mean we have to continue them in every area of the club though. Getting the right captain can help overcome some other issues...including making our club more attractive for potential free agents / trade targets. Which in turn will help with membership, financials and just about everything else.

Reply #102
We've been as 'dodgy as' in the past in many respects.
It may be a bit naive but as a member it's an area I'd hope we're improving.
If nothing else Bolton strikes me as "fair dinkum fella" who would set a standard of 'above board' behaviour and fairness.

Reply #103
It is not irrelevent, but it is not the most pressing issue.

You may have recalled me raging about Trigg almost from day 1. Talked the talk, did SFA about it.

I've also pointed the finger at Andy Mac on more than one occasion too.

Just because we have issues elsewhere, does not mean we have to continue them in every area of the club though. Getting the right captain can help overcome some other issues...including making our club more attractive for potential free agents / trade targets. Which in turn will help with membership, financials and just about everything else.

You continually make assumptions which can't be proven - all of which starts with the premise that Murphy is the wrong captain, and that if we change to Cripps, then all of a sudden we attract more members, more money, better players etc. I don't think FA will care who is captain. They will care about the coach, ladder position, playing finals, $$$, who their team mates are etc.

Reply #104
You continually make assumptions which can't be proven - all of which starts with the premise that Murphy is the wrong captain, and that if we change to Cripps, then all of a sudden we attract more members, more money, better players etc. I don't think FA will care who is captain. They will care about the coach, ladder position, playing finals, $$$, who their team mates are etc.

True Paul, although the order probably should be $$$, playing finals, coach, ladder position, teammates.  You could probably throw in partner's preferred place to live and proximity to family.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball