Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 38097 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #255
There can be no doubt Kreuzer is our best ruck option. The  lad is champ and like many are saying does his best work by spending most of the game at the coal face pushing opposition midfielders around.

But reality is he won't be making the taps to our next premiership winning midfield. He is vital to our short term survival, but we need a plan B and I doubt it is either Philips or Lobbe
Just to show you dont need Polly Farmer or Big Nic to win a flag, here are the last 10 Premiership Ruckmen:
2017 Toby Nankervis
2016 Jordan Roughead Tom Boyd
2015 Ben McEvoy
2014 Ben McEvoy  David Hale
2013 Max Bailey David Hale
2012 Mike Pyke Shane Mumford
2011 Brad Ottens Tent West
2010 Darren Jolly Leigh Brown
2009 Mark Blake Brad Ottens
2008 Robert Campbell Brent Renouf
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #256
Just to show you dont need Polly Farmer or Big Nic to win a flag, here are the last 10 Premiership Ruckmen:
2017 Toby Nankervis
2016 Jordan Roughead Tom Boyd
2015 Ben McEvoy
2014 Ben McEvoy  David Hale
2013 Max Bailey David Hale
2012 Mike Pyke Shane Mumford
2011 Brad Ottens Tent West
2010 Darren Jolly Leigh Brown
2009 Mark Blake Brad Ottens
2008 Robert Campbell Brent Renouf
Not exactly all plodders there.

Reply #257
Not exactly all plodders there.
Not a list of superstar ruckman either, especially the last few years.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #258
So our pathway to success is to trade out Kreuzer to save salary cap space and let Casboult take over the ruck until De Koning is ready to carry the load in 2020?

Reply #259
This part time ruck/odd job player started with Jolly and Leigh Brown ...Brown wasnt much of a ruckman but he used to run around cleaning up players and being more of a physical presence rather than providing any ruck stats..

Reply #260
This part time ruck/odd job player started with Jolly and Leigh Brown ...Brown wasnt much of a ruckman but he used to run around cleaning up players and being more of a physical presence rather than providing any ruck stats..

Nankervis does quite a lot of that stuff too.

How I wish Levi participated in that game

Reply #262
People get the emphasis wrong when discussing rucks;

Ruck is not the primary role with being a footballer second.

Footballer "is" the primary role, ruck is something that certain footballers do, some do it better than others!

Nankervis is a footballer who rucks, his football stats are often better than Grigg, and Nankervis is a good ruck!

When you are struggling as a footballer, ruck shouldn't be your get out clause! Some KPPs struggling to be footballers seem to use weak attempts at being a ruck as their golden parachute!

Having the wrong emphasis causes you to trade for players like Warnock, mind you prior to Enright putting the fear of god into Warnock with a king hit disguised as a spoil Warnock wasn't too bad as a footballer.

De Koning is the real deal long term, the kid is a footballer who rucks.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #263
People get the emphasis wrong when discussing rucks;

Ruck is not the primary role with being a footballer second.

Footballer "is" the primary role, ruck is something that certain footballers do, some do it better than others!

Nankervis is  footballer who rucks, his football stats are often better than Grigg, and Nankervis is a good ruck!

When you are struggling as a footballer, ruck shouldn't be your get out clause! Some KPPs struggling to be footballers seem to use weak attempts at being a ruck as their golden parachute!

Having the wrong emphasis causes you to trade for players like Warnock, mind you prior to Enright putting the fear of god into Warnock with a king hit disguised as a spoil Warnock wasn't too bad as a footballer.

De Koning is the real deal long term, the kid is a footballer who rucks.

Players get given a run on ball (or in the case of struggling forwards) a turn in the ruck to get them involved in the game.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #264
Players get given a run on ball (or in the case of struggling forwards) a turn in the ruck to get them involved in the game.

Like I said, ruck shouldn't be your get out clause if you are struggling to hold down your main role.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #265
Like I said, ruck shouldn't be your get out clause if you are struggling to hold down your main role.

In our case at the moment, the forwards wouldnt get a sniff if they werent having the odd run on the ball.

Its something that I have seen every club do at some point.

The idea of multi faceted players exists so you can put them somewhere and get value out of them on days when they are struggling and applies to all players unilaterally.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #266
The idea of multi faceted players exists so you can put them somewhere and get value out of them on days when they are struggling and applies to all players unilaterally.

Ahh utilitarianism, or otherwise known as the standardisation myth.

That argument just sets up your team to deliver a new level of mediocrity, because by making talented individuals fill roles they are not suited for you end up dragging them down to the level of the list cloggers. When you let a list clogger fill in with some secondary role, it probably means your primary choice is filling some secondary role elsewhere.

Coaches who go down this path are a dead end to ultimate success, and it's a good reason why MM has so few flags from such a long long long career. He was excellent at standardising his team to finish in the upper echelon without having the flair to go that one step further.

There is a good reason Harry Taylor is an AA defender and a very average forward.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #267
Coaches who go down this path are a dead end to ultimate success, and it's a good reason why MM has so few flags from such a long long long career. He was excellent at standardising his team to finish in the upper echelon without having the flair to go that one step further.

To be fair to Mick, in 01 and 02 he came up against one of the greatest teams ever at the peak of their powers. It remains to be seen whether any other coach could have done better. In any other era, he may have ended up with 5 flags.

I do agree with your general principle though. He was workmanlike and seemed to favour honest toilers rather than out and out guns. I think the Pies made 6 prelims in 10 years during the 2000's, which is a great effort, but like you, I also wonder whether he shot himself in the foot by not embracing more flair and class.

Reply #268
To be fair to Mick, in 01 and 02 he came up against one of the greatest teams ever at the peak of their powers.

I assume you mean 02 and 03, versus Leigh Matthews.

I know who'd I pick as coach. One was inventive and dynamic in many roles as both a player and coach, the other was a back pocket! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #269
I assume you mean 02 and 03, versus Leigh Matthews.

I know who'd I pick as coach. One was inventive and dynamic in many roles as both a player and coach, the other was a back pocket! ;)

Yes, sorry, I did mean 02 and 03, versus the great Lions 3peat team.

I don't really want to get into a coaching comparison, but if you compare Matthews' coaching record at the Lions v Pies, the total games coached, and the W-L-D records are uncannily similar. Yet he got 3 flags (and very nearly a 4th) at the Lions, and 1 at the Pies. It must be nice to have elite talent on every line.