Skip to main content
Topic: Juvenile Criminals - Should They Do Jail Time ?? (Read 9621 times) previous topic - next topic

Juvenile Criminals - Should They Do Jail Time ??

This week, we have been inundated with news about the fires raging on the outskirts of Sydney, the Blue Mountains & Hunter Valley. We've had to put up with smog across the city and people with asthmatic conditions have been flocking to hospital for treatment. Add into that the amount of manpower needed to battle these blazes, the damage to private homes & wildlife and it all adds up to a massive unnecessary mess for everyone.

It came out that one of the fires was started by an 11yo boy who was held in custody overnight and upon leaving the police station, flipped the bird at the reporters taking his photo. Just to show that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, his father did a double-bird at them too.

The current laws state that juvenile offenders cannot be jailed or punished but I'm at the stage where I don't feel the law is adequate enough when it comes to young people who commit serious crimes like this.

Should Australia have juvenile jails built so that these young people can feel the full wrath of the law or should they be put in adult jails to serve a penalty ??

I've had enough of young thugs & punks getting away with it on the basis of their age, maybe their parents should do the jail time instead ??   
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: Juvenile Criminals - Should They Do Jail Time ??

Reply #1
Do you listen to Alan Jones?

Reply #2
Confiscate and burn everything he owns.  Confiscate and burn everything he will EVER own.

That's for starters.

Reply #4
Juvenile offenders can be sentenced to detention, but only as a last resort.

The young person's behaviour, as an indicator of lack of remorse, may well have an impact on the severity of his penalty.

There have been calls for parents to be punished for the offences of their children but it would have to be on a case by case basis.  From what you've described Sheik, the father deserves a whack.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
I'd consider it Sheik on a two strike basis. If they don't learn from the first time they probably never will.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #6

The young person's behaviour, as an indicator of lack of remorse, may well have an impact on the severity of his penalty.

There have been calls for parents to be punished for the offences of their children but it would have to be on a case by case basis.  From what you've described Sheik, the father deserves a whack.

I agree the father deserves a whack. It's him that needs to set the example.  Remember when I was an 8y/o kid I smashed the window of a neighboring house to impress a girl. Police arrived and gave me stern warning. My father on the other hand offered to pay for the window and then proceeded to belt the shiit out of me. I had to personally apologize to the neighbor and to police. I was made to mow the neighbors lawn and remove weeds from their garden for 6 months. I no longer like broken windows.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #7
I remember as about a 10 year old, together with a friend, we managed to set a hay paddock alight. Fortunately someone saw the smoke and called the local fire brigade, who arrived very quickly to put out the flames.

We were never found out but were so scared by the experience I would have never have dreamed of trying the same thing again! It was a closely guarded secret between us for years.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8

I agree the father deserves a whack. It's him that needs to set the example.  Remember when I was an 8y/o kid I smashed the window of a neighboring house to impress a girl. Police arrived and gave me stern warning. My father on the other hand offered to pay for the window and then proceeded to belt the shiit out of me. I had to personally apologize to the neighbor and to police. I was made to mow the neighbors lawn and remove weeds from their garden for 6 months. I no longer like broken windows.

Sounds like my childhood when I stepped out of line ..... hated it at the time, but I deserved it.

Was the girl worth it? ;D

Reply #9
No, she's the one who dobbed me in. Hence second part of valuable lesson, "women crumble under pressure".
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #10
I knew a couple of guys who burnt down a small section of forest, when they were 15, and got caught.

They had good behaviour bonds and didn't burn down any more forest after that.

With that said, they came from good families and support networks around them etc.

Reply #11
Heard a news report this morning two 8year olds got caught trying to light fires in NSW, "they got a stern talking to by Police". Stern talking to? No wonder the countries farked. Lock the little c@#$ and their parents up for 15 yrs, then we'll see if other fwits try it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #12
You can't smack your own kids they are taught at school. They are told that if they are punished above that what a child finds being fair, they can speak to a teacher at school and corrective action will be taken against the parents. My kids know they can use the phone to call the authorities to take action against me no drama. Here I'll help you dial the number. Then you quickly better call an ambulance immediately after. You will be having a long stay in hospital if you are still breathing.

Kids need to be shown the images of the terror that happen with major fires. the impact on animal and human injury and death. They need to understand what the impact is as a result from stupidity. They need to imagine what it would be like if it happened to them. All kids are taught in these days is consequences to them. What about the impact to those that suffer from fires. Everything in life needs to be a result of teaching what if it happened to you. How would you feel. The punishment isn't always a going to scare them enough. That's just my opinion though.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #13
It's a good thing I never smacked my son; he's now 20cm taller and 20kg heavier.  My daughter could beat me up too - I think I smacked her once  ;)

In fact, I couldn't ask for better children; both high achievers with well developed social consciences (not sure what I did right) but they both did the odd irresponsible thing when they were growing up. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #14
The OP is pretty ridiculous when it doesnt balance the pros/cons of jail time.