Skip to main content
Topic: Cripps on the couch (Read 14848 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cripps on the couch

Reply #15
Cripps hasn't enough AFL experience in my opinion and hasn't yet delivered to his full potential.

Same could have been said of Kernahan and Carey when they were given the job.

Reply #16
Cripps is an on-field 'follow me' type leader.

Docherty is a 24/7 type leader.

Cripps lets his hair down a bit during media interviews and what not.
Docherty is always in full business mode. More serious.

I guess it depends on what the club prefers its leader to be.

Reply #17
Cripps is an on-field 'follow me' type leader.

Docherty is a 24/7 type leader.

Cripps lets his hair down a bit during media interviews and what not.
Docherty is always in full business mode. More serious.

I guess it depends on what the club prefers its leader to be.

Perhaps the idea is not to think 'either/or' but rather, 'and...'
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #18
If Docherty gets it over Cripps it will only be a matter of time before its another Mitchell/Hodge situation especially if we are not doing well.......the media/supporters will see Cripps as the spiritual on field leader like Hodge was and want the change.....

Reply #19
If Docherty gets it over Cripps it will only be a matter of time before its another Mitchell/Hodge situation especially if we are not doing well.......the media/supporters will see Cripps as the spiritual on field leader like Hodge was and want the change.....

I just hope the club makes the right decision using proper processes and protocols, and ignores the outside noise. If it's Cripps, then so be it. If it's Doch, ditto.

The media don't know sh1t about what happens behind closed doors.

Reply #20

See I don't get that....and it it just a matter of opinion

Cripps is there at the moment
Docherty is on the bench.
Hard to make a judgement.

I reckon Docherty is just the type of captain we need.
A grade player, but also a coach in waiting.
Let Cripps concentrate on being a superstar.

The reality is though, that this decision will be made a lot closer to the action, and the players and coaches who know better than we do will make that choice.
I'll be happy with that.

Reply #21
Same could have been said of Kernahan and Carey when they were given the job.

Don't agree.

Firstly I believe Kernahan was already a premiership player in SA before he entered the AFL, was the leading goalkicker multiple years, had won at least two club B&Fs, as well as a league best for the GF, he was at the top of his game when he arrived and if I recall he may have even captained his state.

Carey was already arguably the leagues best when he was named captain, he was named AA Captain the same year, I don't think he improved much after getting the job and it would have been scary if he did!

Cripps isn't at his peak yet, and has much to learn, he is not even regularly getting the basics right, and he is miles away from the level Carey or Kernahan were at, but he'll get there!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Perhaps the idea is not to think 'either/or' but rather, 'and...'

Personally, i think thats a cop out.

A decision that is made when someone can't make up their mind. Too afraid to not get it right, so they automatically get it wrong.

...but that a personal opinion.

Reply #23
Don't agree.

Firstly I believe Kernahan was already a premiership player in SA before he entered the AFL, was the leading goalkicker multiple years, had won at least two club B&Fs, as well as a league best for the GF, he was at the top of his game when he arrived and if I recall he may have even captained his state.

Carey was already arguably the leagues best when he was named captain, he was named AA Captain the same year, I don't think he improved much after getting the job and it would have been scary if he did!

Cripps isn't at his peak yet, and has much to learn, he is not even regularly getting the basics right, and he is miles away from the level Carey or Kernahan were at, but he'll get there!

Kernahan was captain in his second year at Carlton.
He won his first B&F in his first year as captain in 87.

Reply #24
Personally, i think thats a cop out.

A decision that is made when someone can't make up their mind. Too afraid to not get it right, so they automatically get it wrong.

...but that a personal opinion.

Wasn't it Einstein who said that the mark of real intelligence is the ability to hold two different/opposing views in your head at the same time without feeling compelled to chose one over the other (Einstein updated the original F Scott Fitzgerald quote). Sometimes the smartest thing to do is think laterally, or different to the status quo... sometimes the toughest thing to do is be different. In 1964 we did the unimaginable and hired a playter from another club to be our captain/coach... who knows what our leadership group will look like in 2019, 3 Captains, or 1... doesn't matter, as long as we do what is best for the club and takes full advantage of the talents available. But status quo thinking is for the unimaginative (and deeply conservative types...  ;) )
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #25
Wasn't it Einstein who said that the mark of real intelligence is the ability to hold two different/opposing views in your head at the same time without feeling compelled to chose one over the other (Einstein updated the original F Scott Fitzgerald quote). Sometimes the smartest thing to do is think laterally, or different to the status quo... sometimes the toughest thing to do is be different. In 1964 we did the unimaginable and hired a playter from another club to be our captain/coach... who knows what our leadership group will look like in 2019, 3 Captains, or 1... doesn't matter, as long as we do what is best for the club and takes full advantage of the talents available. But status quo thinking is for the unimaginative (and deeply conservative types...  ;) )

Couldn’t agree more.
Our young group could get younger again with Simpson or Rowe or Murphy moving on in the next two years.
We all talk about the importance of development so why not have two senior on field leaders assisting the coaches in providing examples and direction

Reply #26

By the same logic we could make Daisy captain. Or even OShea.

Thinking different, doesn't mean right. ;)

I'm all for thinking different, but i stand by my opinion on this matter.

Reply #27
BTW, has a team ever won a flag with dual captains? Not sure, but don't think so.

Reply #29
The important thing is to make a rational decision on the capt. Set the criteria first and then identify and evaluate candidates based on those using an agreed process. No more pulling decisions out of the ani of club deities.
Reality always wins in the end.