Skip to main content
Topic: 2015 - Is This It For Matthew Watson ?? (Read 16725 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2015 - Is This It For Matthew Watson ??

Reply #30
I'll actually be disappointed if they don't start with him.
He has the position at the moment and played well his last game....it's for others to displace him.

That is a good fair call...

Reply #31
He has the position at the moment and played well his last game....it's for others to displace him.

Possibly, it depends on what you mean by "start". He still has to show a good attitude and perform well during the pre-season. If not, he should by no means start round 1.

Reply #32

That is a good fair call...

Pretty sure it will depend on how pre-season goes as to who gets the starting spot. Both training and games. That is the fairest way to do it.

In the NFL they refer to it a 'battle'. Incoming guys, traded for and drafted have battles with the existing guys. Unless you are a seasoned veteran, you have to battle it out for your position. Competition brings out the best in players.

It'd be unfair on Jones who is training 6 days a week months before he needs to be to not even get a look-in when we traded for him.

Reply #33
Pretty sure it will depend on how pre-season goes as to who gets the starting spot. Both training and games. That is the fairest way to do it.

Yes, no-one should be guaranteed a spot and the best performing players in the pre-season should be selected.  If that is Watson, Jones or someone else, so be it.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #34
Yep....because pre-season form is always a good indicator of how players will go in the regular season ::) ;D

However Watson often goes well pre-season....even in defence.

So let me clarify...I hope they start the pre-season with Watson  in the position he occupied in the last game of the year.

Jones may turn out to be the best forward since Fevola but at the moment, on the evidence, he is not vastly superior to Watson....let him earn his place.

Reply #35
Where Watson lets himself down is his defensive pressure. If the ball is out of arm's reach he just walks around looking lost.

This is where Jones is miles ahead of him.

Reply #36
Yep
Look, I'm not a huge Matthew Watson fan.
...and if I was to have a guess I'd suspect Jones will probably go past him.

but call me sentimental...
I just feel the kid's struggled to find his place and we all know the forward position is really his last opportunity.
I'd like to see him given a crack at it.
If he loses it then there's no coming back

Reply #37
I'd rather have two contenders battling for a position than one guaranteed of a walk up start.

Even if one gets the nod for round one, the other one will be breathing down his neck, and that's got to be good for team.

Neither may make it the end but at least we've got two blokes with the tools to do the job. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #38
I'd rather have two contenders battling for a position than one guaranteed of a walk up start.

Even if one gets the nod for round one, the other one will be breathing down his neck, and that's got to be good for team.

Neither may make it the end but at least we've got two blokes with the tools to do the job.

No problem at all with them battling for positions.
Training and pre-season aren't always a great indicator of how a player will go under AFL match conditions though.
...and if Watson doesn't start we all know his chances of breaking into the side are slim.

Reply #39
I hope you're not suggesting that preference will be given to the bloke brought in by the current brainstrust Lods  ;)

Reply #40
I'm afraid Watson would be lucky to be still on the list in 2016. People are reading way too much into the rd 23 game. He is a slow dumb footballer who is too small to play KPF. His one attribute is his kicking. I'd love the kid to prove me wrong.
Eat more chooks

Reply #41
I'm afraid Watson would be lucky to be still on the list in 2016. People are reading way too much into the rd 23 game. He is a slow dumb footballer who is too small to play KPF. His one attribute is his kicking. I'd love the kid to prove me wrong.

Too small to play KPF? He is 195cm and 100kg and Jones is 197cm and 97kg.

Watson is 18 months younger than Jones but their stats are remarkably similar.  We're pinning our hopes on a new bloke who hasn't shown much apart from a bag in the VFL grand final while writing off another bloke who hasn't had the same opportunities.

I'm not confident that either of them will be the answer, but I'm hoping like hell that one or both of them will bag 40-50 goals next season.

Reply #42

He's a huge boy, guessing you haven't looked at his physical stats.

His R23 game was identical to his last few games previous in the NBs, the reason he got his chance. He looked like he belonged there much more.

Reply #43

WTF???
The Force Awakens!