Skip to main content
Topic: Anzac Day in NZ (Read 8726 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Anzac Day in NZ

Reply #15
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2014-10-24/blues-to-face-saints-in-new-zealand

The Australian Football League (AFL) today announced St Kilda would host Carlton in Wellington New Zealand as the opening game on Saturday April 25, 2015, to mark the 100th anniversary of the landing at Gallipoli.

In 2015, Anzac Day will fall on a Saturday and the AFL will play five matches throughout the day and evening across New Zealand and Australia, including the traditional Essendon / Collingwood afternoon match at the MCG. The full fixture for the Anzac Day Round and the 2015 Toyota AFL Premiership Season will be released next Thursday, October 3

Interestingly the Collingwood/ Essendon match wont be a stand alone.
Is that a move being made because of an expected lack of Essendon participants at that stage of the season? ;)

More the fact that it's a Saturday I'd say.

Reply #16
The AFL says the RSL should consider holding marches on another day to ANZAC Day. ;D ;D
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #17
Intresting about the new schedule, I bet Ch.7 are not happy.

I had a chat with a bloke only yesterday about the broadcast deal and the match scheduling. He reckons that the reason for the dodgy 2014 schedule is all cost related and nothing more. It seems under the terms of the broadcast agreement they must broadcast games, and if they are spaced to closely together the stations costs go through the roof with resources being duplicated all over the place!

Staggering games and lead-ins to the news broadcast were all smoke and mirrors, the real reason was to allow the whole thing to run in minimal OB staff!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
Maybe now we will get ANYONE other than BT darcy and richo crapping on during our game... 'tards.

Fly me over, I will commentate for free.

Reply #19
The RAAF will be playing one of the other military forces in the curtain-raiser at Wellington, outside chance the Son of Sheik will be representing the RAAF.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #20
The AFL says the RSL should consider holding marches on another day to ANZAC Day. ;D ;D

Yep those Veterans need to listen to the AFL ..what have those old men and  women done for the country anyway...they should march when polo playing  GilMac tells them to march... ;) :P :-[

Reply #21
The RAAF will be playing one of the other military forces in the curtain-raiser at Wellington, outside chance the Son of Sheik will be representing the RAAF.

Still think he's a dud? :P

Reply #22

Still think he's a dud? :P

Yep !!!   ;D

He narrowly missed out last year but has worked hard on his fitness and has given himself a better chance now. The other advantage he has is that being based in Darwin, they play their footy now so he would be coming off a full season and into the ANZAC Day gig.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #23

This almost sounds like it might be more worthwhile watching than our game...  Thank god we are playing the Saints.  Surely we cant lose to them??
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #24
International game and not FTA... humble supporter gets shafted again.  How are you supposed to follow a side under such scheduling?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?