Skip to main content
Topic: Round 18 Carlton vs. North Melbourne Pre Game pronouncements! (Read 18904 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 18 Carlton vs. North Melbourne Pre Game pronouncements!

Reply #45
When you consider that Jones + Daisy = well over a million for at least another two years that is something to get depressed about.

Very much my thought. Thomas may repay some of his money back eventually. I won't hold my breath on Jones.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #46
@ blue4life.

What ever Jones is being paid, he is costing us too much.

So is Watson, and Warnock, and Ellard, and another dozen spuds on our senior list.
We recruited Jones because we have no forwards and couldn't afford Franklin, Boyd or anyone else decent, assuming anyone decent would want to play for us of course.
I know a lot of Footscray supporters and none of them were sorry to see him go, sometimes the people running the show probably should just ask the punters.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #47
Yes. We may have something of a herd mentality, but we aren't blind. If we don't want someone there is usually a good reason.  :-[ C:-)
Or maybe I am thinking too highly of our humble opinions!  ;D ;D
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #48
So is Watson, and Warnock, and Ellard, and another dozen spuds on our senior list.
We recruited Jones because we have no forwards and couldn't afford Franklin, Boyd or anyone else decent, assuming anyone decent would want to play for us of course.
I know a lot of Footscray supporters and none of them were sorry to see him go, sometimes the people running the show probably should just ask the punters.

We should have come up with an alternative set up rather than getting a dud, hoping he will turn into a solid player and then banking on it. List clogging and culture killing in one fell swoop.

Reply #49
I reckon Liam Jones has the tools to be a solid AFL key forward, and will do it in the second half of his career.

It was a bit of hit and hope but I think it was a calculated risk that hasnt worked yet.

We will have a better idea after a couple more years.

Its the first time we have future proofed our team in a while no matter how poorly its working out thus far.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
I reckon Liam Jones has the tools to be a solid AFL key forward, and will do it in the second half of his career.

It was a bit of hit and hope but I think it was a calculated risk that hasnt worked yet.

Its the first time we have future proofed our team in a while no matter how poorly its working out thus far.

He has arms and legs but no football brain...you cant teach nous, Jarrod Waite is a smarter player.....think about it ;)

Reply #51

Liam Jones is 25 at R1 next year and struggling to get a game in a side with no forwards.The future is bleak if this is our future proofing.

Reply #52
Liam Jones is 25 at R1 next year and struggling to get a game in a side with no forwards.The future is bleak if this is our future proofing.

Take Henderson out of the team and then tell me he cant get a game...

The sad part is, it wont be an improvement.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #53

Agree. If he's not showing something by now then I would conclude that there can't be a lot to show. It looks like we have stuffed up with him unfortunately, but I guess he's got the rest of the year to turn it around.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #54
Take Henderson out of the team and then tell me he cant get a game...

The sad part is, it wont be an improvement.

I think he'd be first picked but I think he'd be dropped after 4 weeks for someone else.

Reply #55
I would take Hendo any day of the week over Jones, even playing poorly as he is at the moment.

So far as I can tell, Jones can't mark, his leading and running patterns are ordinary, kicking is average, appears to have no tank and no second effort. The thing that really bugs me about him is his demeanor. He plays footy as if he's doing a great job, as if he's pleased with his efforts. I've never seen him filthy on himself, never see any agro, never see any..... anything. I expect he's completely forgotten about the match as soon as he's in the car.

Incredibly irritating player for mine.

Reply #56

I admire you optimism Thry but I suspect that your judgement is out on this one.

I would love Jones to succeed and I agree that he has the physical attributes to to be an very good key forward.  Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have the football nous required and I reckon he will be making up the numbers in the NBs for the balance of his contract.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #57

I would have loved him to succeed as well, and he has taken a few grabs, kicked a couple of goals, but if your side is beaten by 130 odd points and you are dropped , with out any other forwards coming in , it's not saying much?

Reply #58

I have seen more effort from Jones than several others so I am willing to give him a bit more time - not that there is much choice anyway.

Reply #59

I don't reckon there will be a second half.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.