Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 5 : BLUES Defeated Dogs (Finally Final Siren Elation) (Read 60153 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 5 : BLUES Defeated Dogs (Finally Final Siren Elation)

Reply #180
Watson may be able to roost the ball a long way but Rowe actually gets to contests and hits them hard.

Watson's use isn't just about the long kick, he is very cool in traffic and can lower his eyes to hit targets, it seems he has good peripheral vision. Like Rowe, Watson looks much better when he attacks the contest. He is just a kid.

The club has given Casboult five years so far, they need to be equally patient with Watson, Watson has shown more in his early games than Casboult did at the same stage!

I suspect Watson will be ideal in the long term, he has a reliable kicking action and he can kick goals from outside F50!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #181
Rowe ahead of Watson and White every day of the week at this stage. Watto would be played forward at 2's level if I had my way with an eye to play him there at AFL level, White also.

My 3rd tall defender aat AFL level at some point in the near future would be Cam Giles.

Reply #182
Different player, but I reckon that when 1AW kicks, the ball spins a lot faster.  It happens both left and right foot, and I think it is most of the time.  Does anyone know what the effect of this is on the footy (not always a turnover!), or what he does differently, or am I wrong?

Reply #183
Different player, but I reckon that when 1AW kicks, the ball spins a lot faster.  It happens both left and right foot, and I think it is most of the time.  Does anyone know what the effect of this is on the footy (not always a turnover!), or what he does differently, or am I wrong?

Interesting observation.  I'll pay more attention in future.

I wasn't terribly good at physics but I'll hazard a guess that ball spin is related to timing; the instep making contact with the ball at the optimum point on the kicking arc will impart the greatest ball spin.  Faster ball spin should mean that the footy travels faster, straighter and longer.

Now, someone who understands physics can correct me  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #184
Faster maybe but not necessarily straighter and most definitely not longer IMO.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #185
Faster maybe but not necessarily straighter and most definitely not longer IMO.

Correct, the more energy that goes into a faster spin the less energy gets converted to forward motion.

The fast spin might result in a straighter flight but only if the ball is perfectly balanced and symmetrical(Hardly any are!)

1AW must be striking the ball close to the point.

In years gone by fast spinning drop kicks were a sign that the kick either came a fraction too late or the drop angle was wrong, the ideal strike was around 2~3 rotations per second.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #186

Interesting observation.  I'll pay more attention in future.

I wasn't terribly good at physics but I'll hazard a guess that ball spin is related to timing; the instep making contact with the ball at the optimum point on the kicking arc will impart the greatest ball spin.  Faster ball spin should mean that the footy travels faster, straighter and longer.

Now, someone who understands physics can correct me  ;)

A spinning ball, due to the gyroscopic effect, will be more stable in its trajectory and less liable to wobble or tumbling (end over end) leading to it going further, straighter and faster as you say. I think there is an optimum rate of spin in fact, faster is better is only true up to a point?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #187
Think of a Golf Ball.

You need spin to launch it in the air and keep it in the air. However there becomes a point where too much spin will let the ball fly higher and faster initially, but fall out of the sky creating a balloon affect. When choosing the best Driver for you think of a hose running with water.

You lift the hose up as far as can to let the water reach the furtherest point you can. Obviously you need to pull it higher to get the water to arc to a point, but keep lifting it, and the water starts to reduce in distance as the arc becomes greater and balloons.

having said all that, Walker just kicks tumblers on a regular basis. He has such great hands and pace so its a conundrum and would play him forward and on the wing regularly.

"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #188
A spinning ball, due to the gyroscopic effect, will be more stable in its trajectory and less liable to wobble or tumbling (end over end) leading to it going further, straighter and faster as you say. I think there is an optimum rate of spin in fact, faster is better is only true up to a point?

For optimal length the line of strike vector must be directed through the center of the ball, spin will be a result of torque that develops when the force is not directed through the ball mid point in conjunction with any asymmetry in the ball and the balls deformation.

For 1AW to have faster than normal spin he must be kicking close to the point and the force vector of his strike must be on a line significantly mis-aligned to the center of the ball.

The elliptical ball does not behave like a round ball, (soccer, golf, volleyball, etc., etc..) Round balls can develop lift as a result of spin. Footballs only develop lift when the angle of the torpedo punt is correct to allow the ball profile to act like a wing cross section. A drop punt spinning correctly develops no lift.

If you really wanted to you can use a free software package called Tracker Video Analysis to do a serious study. You would need some good quality video of a football, make a great high school project for kids.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #189
That's of course if it's true that the ball spins faster when walker kicks it.

It's not a bad theory but I can't say I have noticed.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #190
Think of a Golf Ball.

You need spin to launch it in the air and keep it in the air. However there becomes a point where too much spin will let the ball fly higher and faster initially, but fall out of the sky creating a balloon affect. When choosing the best Driver for you think of a hose running with water.

You lift the hose up as far as can to let the water reach the furtherest point you can. Obviously you need to pull it higher to get the water to arc to a point, but keep lifting it, and the water starts to reduce in distance as the arc becomes greater and balloons.

having said all that, Walker just kicks tumblers on a regular basis. He has such great hands and pace so its a conundrum and would play him forward and on the wing regularly.

Another two handed ball drop player, the best kicking players drop the ball with one hand and guide it on the boot. one hand allows you to kick quickly when under pressure and on the run...AW isnt a bad set shot for goal but thats because he can kick slowly and under no pressure and when he drops the ball he can balance up but on the run or under pressure that ball drop lets him down.

Reply #191

For optimal length the line of strike vector must be directed through the center of the ball, spin will be a result of torque that develops when the force is not directed through the ball mid point in conjunction with any asymmetry in the ball and the balls deformation.

For 1AW to have faster than normal spin he must be kicking close to the point and the force vector of his strike must be on a line significantly mis-aligned to the center of the ball.

The elliptical ball does not behave like a round ball, (soccer, golf, volleyball, etc., etc..) Round balls can develop lift as a result of spin. Footballs only develop lift when the angle of the torpedo punt is correct to allow the ball profile to act like a wing cross section. A drop punt spinning correctly develops no lift.

If you really wanted to you can use a free software package called Tracker Video Analysis to do a serious study. You would need some good quality video of a football, make a great high school project for kids.

I'm not sure i can agree with you on this point.

I'm willing to accept your point on NOT creating lift, but i believe there is a similar benefit which you may argue is called something else.

I believe the drop punt (if it does not CREATE lift) at least minimizes the effect of wind resistance on it (some may argue its the same thing) by comparison to any other random spinning it may encounter otherwise.

How do you explain a banana kick? Its the same principal, just sidewards instead of upwards. Clearly curves.
How do you explain the tumble punt kick? Same again, except it turns down.

Reply #192
Couple  of other things I noticed last week:
1. Murph shaved the beard off
2, MM sat at the back of the coaches box not the front
3. Judd no longer wears Puma boots (now wears Asics).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #193
Couple  of other things I noticed last week:
1. Murph shaved the beard off
2, MM sat at the back of the coaches box not the front
3. Judd no longer wears Puma boots (now wears Asics).

Re the judd boots. No longer wears puma because they are no good for players with Achilles issues - something about their design.

Reply #194
The Asics boots have a raise in the heel and will force you to artificially stand more on the balls of your feet than heel striking.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson