Skip to main content
Topic: Round 6 - Blues vs. West Coast Cokers (Read 54625 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 6 - Blues vs. West Coast Cokers

Reply #91
On the flipside, young Cripps has been flung after getting 17 touches last week.

Hope they know what they are doing here !!

It's called quality not quantity. He accumulated 17 possessions of mostly rubbish. He'll come good eventually as he's now had both a taste and a glimpse at what's required at AFL level. Dropping him was absolutely the right thing to do.

Is it though?

Drop him to an lesser league to learn the game? Or leave him in so as to fast track his development?
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #92
Cripps wasn't even named in the VFL. He wasn't dropped for form, he was dropped because the kid needs a rest.

Reply #93
Cripps wasn't even named in the VFL. He wasn't dropped for form, he was dropped because the kid needs a rest.

Doubt it. The kid is 19, uninjured and on an AFL list. More spin from the CFC unfortunately.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #94

Doubt it. The kid is 19, uninjured and on an AFL list. More spin from the CFC unfortunately.

Then explain why he isn't named to play VFL on saturday?

And why it says this on the CFC website:
Chris Judd (hamstring), Ed Curnow (leg) and Tom Bell (finger) have all been ruled out injured, while young gun Patrick Cripps has been rested.
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2014-04-24/blues-make-four-changes

Reply #95

Chris Judd (hamstring), Ed Curnow (leg) and Tom Bell (finger) have all been ruled out injured, while young gun Patrick Cripps has been rested.

I say spin because that is what this is. If he was injured ...Fine, If he had performed poorly and needed to be dropped, well yes again ...fine.

But to rest a bloke who's been just OK and try and justify selection on the basis of a dubious dismissal.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #96

I say spin because that is what this is. If he was injured ...Fine, If he had performed poorly and needed to be dropped, well yes again ...fine.

But to rest a bloke who's been just OK and try and justify selection on the basis of a dubious dismissal.

If he was dropped for form he would be playing in the 2s. If he was injured he wouldn't be listed as omitted.

Cripps has been cooked at quarter time in both games. He was never expected to feature this early in the season by anyone at the club. He got a game because of a standout performance in the VFL in their rd 1 which is fine. But he doesn't have the tank yet. And we knew that when we drafted him. It's no slight against him to be given a rest for one week.

Reply #97

If he was dropped for form he would be playing in the 2s. If he was injured he wouldn't be listed as omitted.

Cripps has been cooked at quarter time in both games. He was never expected to feature this early in the season by anyone at the club. He got a game because of a standout performance in the VFL in their rd 1 which is fine. But he doesn't have the tank yet. And we knew that when we drafted him. It's no slight against him to be given a rest for one week.

It's a slight on Gen Y, who always need an excuse to get out of hard work.

If Cripps isn't fit  enough for senior footy he should be playing in the twos, no ifs or buts.

Try selling that to some of our greats. ::)
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #98
Would've preferred to see Army in ahead of Robbo, don't want to see any of those brain fade trade mark Robbo kicks.

We looked so good last week because we hit targets, and Robbo worries me in that respect. Want to see Robbo and Brock really rough up S Selwood, as i assume he will be tagging Murph, putting blocks on for him and moving his tagger further into the stoppage, so he can get free.

Be good if Garlett can find his left boot again too, used to kick on the left all the time, give he and Yaz a couple runs in the guts to change it up a bit.

Jamo on Kennedy, Rowe on a resting ruck which is terrifying considering its Cox and Nic Nat, and White seems the only logical match up for Darling, as i think Walker and Everitt aren't strong enough for Darling. Walker probably on Josh Hill. Our Backline really needs to help each other out whenever they can manage it, I'd almost consider playing someone like Everitt as a seventh defender/loose man.

Our midfield really needs to stifle their supply, our forwards need to convert and i want to see big Levi ruffle a few eagles feathers in the process.

I wouldn't want to be an oppo defence lining up against Waite, Hendo, Yaz and Garlett.

Here's hoping the IN's can really have an impact and add a bit to the squad, let's see if we can resurrect our season and be 4-4 at the break. After our bye Judd and Curnow shouldn't be far off.

Blues by 11

Reply #99
@JK...
I think you'll find there are quite a few clubs nowadays who go into the season with limited expectations on their young blokes, so much so that they have pre-planned breaks scheduled into their season.

Ive heard a few coaches say 'he was scheduled for a rest' when talking about the latest draftees.

Given Cripps was never touted as having elite fitness, i think its quite plausible. We'll know if he comes straight back in next week after the week off.

Reply #100
AS many have said here already, the IN's tome reek of "same old same old". Our ball use was fairly good last week, Robbo worries me with respect to this. Their talls also wory me a lot. If they get a hold of us it could turn ugly. More of last weeks effort please Blues.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #101
@JK...
I think you'll find there are quite a few clubs nowadays who go into the season with limited expectations on their young blokes, so much so that they have pre-planned breaks scheduled into their season.

Ive heard a few coaches say 'he was scheduled for a rest' when talking about the latest draftees.

Given Cripps was never touted as having elite fitness, i think its quite plausible. We'll know if he comes straight back in next week after the week off.

As long as he plays in the next blockbuster.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #102
playing someone like Everitt as a seventh defender/loose man

He contributed very little last week. Is he learning Carlton's lazy skirt round the back of packs for a few easy stats ways?

I hope not. Needs to be given an important role and needs to perform.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #103
playing someone like Everitt as a seventh defender/loose man

He contributed very little last week. Is he learning Carlton's lazy skirt round the back of packs for a few easy stats ways?

I hope not. Needs to be given an important role and needs to perform.
I hadn't noticed that fly, haven't paid a heap of attention to him. What important role would you give him?

I think we need his height in defense given the opposition. He has to be accountable in defense one would think, really dont want to move Hendo or Waitey down back. We need both of them up forward.

Reply #104
I know, but is he ready... big ask for a young KP prospect to start vs the toasters.

Could he do worse than White did on Crameri?!!

I doubt it.

I thought White played very well on Crameri, who kicked (at least) two or (possibly) three of his four goals when White was on the interchange bench or had switched opponents in the team defence. He was outmarked for one goal but generally played tight and used good closing speed to spoil numerous marking contests.