Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs. Footscray at Footscray on Sunday (Read 15343 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northern Blues vs. Footscray at Footscray on Sunday

Reply #15
Cattapan 17

Could be a player.  What can you tell us about him Sheik?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
Flew home from Dishlicker land... packing the thermos before heading off to see the BlueBaggers.

More detailed report later, but...

Best for mine were Graham, McLean, Holman, Armfield, Wood and number 45? Johnson I think.

Graham played like a bloke wanting to get back into the seniors. Broke lines, went hard, played with confidence and dash. Was quiet for the early part of the 3rd qtr, but so were most of his mates... they took the lead. Fought his way back into the game.

McLean was good, hard at it. Getting back to form.

Holman was one of the highlights for me. Disposal not so good early but under real heat this kid was everywhere and very instrumental in getting us back into the lead then really taking over in the last quarter. Great to see a recruit who actually thinks and acts like a footballer.

Den Den was another highlight for me. His dash was back. He was barking orders and showing leadership in the qtr and 3 qtr huddles, from the boundary and on the field. Ready for a call-up.

Jeffy was much better than last week. Time on the ball. Went in hard and in the last, when the heat was on, he stood up. Ready.

Wood actually thinks, also, like a footballer! Good in the clinches, important grabs / spoils around the ground.

Docherty looked out of sorts early and didn't appear later in the game. Injured?

Apart from a couple of silly mistakes, liked Boots' game.

Watson was beaten.

McInnes okay. Nothing special.

Temay, okay, nothing special.

Reynolds and Giles busy. Like Reynolds.

Off to Etihad.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #17
2014 Peter Jackson VFL
Footscray Bulldogs   2.0  6.3  12.6  13.9 (87)
Northern Blues   4.8  7.10  11.10  16.16 (112)

GOALS:
Footscray Bulldogs: Dickson 5 Redpath 2 Jamieson  Campbell  Fogarty  Honeychurch  Tutt  Sullivan
Northern Blues: Johnson 4 Thomas 3 Garlett 2 Armfield 2 Graham 2 Wilson  Totevski  Holman

BEST:
Footscray Bulldogs: Honeychurch Dickson Fogarty Russell Redpath Roberts
Northern Blues: Johnson McLean Thomas Graham Watson Wood

I look at this and I get a warm glow. Hope the seniors can perform similarly.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18
5.6 in the last quarter, 4.8 in the first.

Ouch.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #19
Jeffy had a few spells thru the middle. Couple of mins in,  couple forward at times. Wonder if that's the plan for him more regularly.

Reply #20
Updated version of today's report from WO.

Flew home from Dishlicker land... packing the thermos before heading off to see the BlueBaggers.

Good win. The Dishlickers threw everything at us in the 3rd and took the lead. It was impressive that we fought our way back into the game and narrowed the 3 qtr margin to f*ckspence.

Best for mine were Graham, McLean, Holman, Armfield, Wood and Johnson.

Graham played like a bloke wanting to get back into the seniors. Broke lines, went hard, played with confidence and dash. Was quiet for the early part of the 3rd qtr, but so were most of his mates... they took the lead. Fought his way back into the game. Still like to see him show more physicality / mongrel.

McLean was good, hard at it. Getting back to form. Not sure he will gain much more from being in the magoos.

Holman was one of the highlights for me in terms of our future. Disposal not so good early (which is an issue for the kid, did the same last week) but under real heat he backed himself and was everywhere in the 2nd half. Very instrumental in getting us back into the lead then really taking over in the last quarter. Great to see a recruit who actually thinks and acts like a footballer.

Den Den was another highlight for me. His dash was back. He was barking orders and showing leadership in the qtr and 3 qtr huddles, from the boundary and on the field. Ran out the game really well. Ready for a call-up.

Jeffy was much better than last week - good attitude. Good to see him given bursts on the ball and go in hard. In the last when it was up for grabs, Jeffy stood up. Didn't try to finesse too much like last week... more grunt and effort. Ready for a call-up.

Wood actually thinks, also, like a footballer! Good in the clinches, important grabs / spoils around the ground. Must be tempting to upgrade him... but not yet.

Docherty looked out of sorts early and didn't appear later in the game. Injured? Unwell?

Apart from a couple of silly mistakes, liked Boots' game. Had an important defensive role and really contributed. Peeled off and helped out when appropriate. Seems to have grown some more! Showed a bit of offensive stuff. But, I recall one instance when he was all alone on a wing... perfect position to take the aggott from Watson, I think, but didn't yell or do anything to demand the aggott... he was in the clear and if Watson had passed it to him... away we go. Happened right in front of us and the crowd was doing all the calling to Watson!

Watson was beaten. Can't believe he was mentioned in the best players. Probably based on stats alone. Yes he got a good few kicks and handballs but they were the cheap kind - other defenders passing it back to him. But when it was one-on-one with his forward, he was beaten... either beaten to the ball or out bodied. But his disposal is terrific.

Cachia also really lifted when we needed to find another gear and wrestle back the lead. The coach asked him for a big win over his opponent at 3 qtr time... he obliged with some real hardness and negating. Still lacks an offensive game. Though if Curnow doesn't come up he could fill the breach.

McInnes okay. Did some really good 3rd man up stuff to support other defenders. Nothing special re offensive stuff though.

Temay, okay, nothing special. Has been overtaken by other newbies. Will be a strong, reliable seconds player.

Reynolds was busy. Really gets amongst it. Has a bit of dash and daring... reminds me a little of a young Ang Christou. Just needs some polish. I have no trouble imagining this kid breaking into the senior side next year. Maybe a game or two this year. But given another year in the gym / pre-season and education this is someone who could make it.

Giles is busy and he continues to improve. Really mobile and positive in the way he gets after the aggott. Another pre season will really help.

This Irish bloke, Sheehan is a beaut. Yes, makes a few rookie mistakes but is hard and never, ever gives up. Real potential.

Reckon Luke Webster is enjoying having some fair dinkum newbies at the place... sorry, but this 2014 crop is so far ahead of the McCarthy's and Mitchells etc. it aint funny, in fact it's tragic. 3 good wins on the trot says something.

After seeing both games today, and knowing that Juddy is out for a while, so might Curnow be and so might Dinger be (finger). Cripps probably needs to go back to the 2nds and learn a few things, and Lucas was as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike. So, you'd bring in Robbo, Den Den, Jeffy & Brock. Maybe Cachia for Curnow. If Jammo is okay for next week you'd leave out Rowe though it would seem he's become a project for the club. But maybe that is more changes than our coaching group would want to make...

Gee I'd be tempted to remove Temay from the senior list and replace him with one of our Rookies but you probably can't do that!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #21

Watson was beaten. When isn't he?  But when it was one-on-one with his forward, he was beaten... either beaten to the ball or out bodied. The only time he isn't beaten by his direct opponent is when he is a loose man and then he only breaks even. Rowe and White have left him behind as a competitive defender.

Temay, okay, nothing special. Deja vu from his first season it would seem

Thanks Baggers

I might get along to a game in the next few weeks - will let you know.

Reply #22

More detailed report later, but...

Best for mine were Graham, McLean, Holman, Armfield, Wood and number 45? Johnson I think.

Graham played like a bloke wanting to get back into the seniors. Broke lines, went hard, played with confidence and dash. Was quiet for the early part of the 3rd qtr, but so were most of his mates... they took the lead. Fought his way back into the game.

McLean was good, hard at it. Getting back to form

Holman was one of the highlights for me. Disposal not so good early but under real heat this kid was everywhere and very instrumental in getting us back into the lead then really taking over in the last quarter. Great to see a recruit who actually thinks and acts like a footballer.

Den Den was another highlight for me. His dash was back. He was barking orders and showing leadership in the qtr and 3 qtr huddles, from the boundary and on the field. Ready for a call-up.

Jeffy was much better than last week. Time on the ball. Went in hard and in the last, when the heat was on, he stood up. Ready.

Wood actually thinks, also, like a footballer! Good in the clinches, important grabs / spoils around the ground.

Docherty looked out of sorts early and didn't appear later in the game. Injured?

Apart from a couple of silly mistakes, liked Boots' game.

Watson was beaten.

McInnes okay. Nothing special.

Temay, okay, nothing special.

Reynolds and Giles busy. Like Reynolds.

Off to Etihad.

Thanks for that and great to hear that Cachia played well to replace Curnow in the same role.

Reply #23
Thanks for the reports ...did Buckley play?

Reply #25

Good win. The Dishlickers threw everything at us in the 3rd and took the lead. It was impressive that we fought our way back into the game and narrowed the 3 qtr margin to f*ckspence.

Graham played like a bloke wanting to get back into the seniors. Broke lines, went hard, played with confidence and dash. Was quiet for the early part of the 3rd qtr, but so were most of his mates... they took the lead. Fought his way back into the game. Still like to see him show more physicality / mongrel.

McLean was good, hard at it. Getting back to form. Not sure he will gain much more from being in the magoos.

Holman was one of the highlights for me in terms of our future. Disposal not so good early (which is an issue for the kid, did the same last week) but under real heat he backed himself and was everywhere in the 2nd half. Very instrumental in getting us back into the lead then really taking over in the last quarter. Great to see a recruit who actually thinks and acts like a footballer.

Den Den was another highlight for me. His dash was back. He was barking orders and showing leadership in the qtr and 3 qtr huddles, from the boundary and on the field. Ran out the game really well. Ready for a call-up.

Jeffy was much better than last week - good attitude. Good to see him given bursts on the ball and go in hard. In the last when it was up for grabs, Jeffy stood up. Didn't try to finesse too much like last week... more grunt and effort. Ready for a call-up.

Wood actually thinks, also, like a footballer! Good in the clinches, important grabs / spoils around the ground. Must be tempting to upgrade him... but not yet.

Docherty looked out of sorts early and didn't appear later in the game. Injured? Unwell?

Apart from a couple of silly mistakes, liked Boots' game. Had an important defensive role and really contributed. Peeled off and helped out when appropriate. Seems to have grown some more! Showed a bit of offensive stuff. But, I recall one instance when he was all alone on a wing... perfect position to take the aggott from Watson, I think, but didn't yell or do anything to demand the aggott... he was in the clear and if Watson had passed it to him... away we go. Happened right in front of us and the crowd was doing all the calling to Watson!

Watson was beaten. Can't believe he was mentioned in the best players. Probably based on stats alone. Yes he got a good few kicks and handballs but they were the cheap kind - other defenders passing it back to him. But when it was one-on-one with his forward, he was beaten... either beaten to the ball or out bodied. But his disposal is terrific.

Cachia also really lifted when we needed to find another gear and wrestle back the lead. The coach asked him for a big win over his opponent at 3 qtr time... he obliged with some real hardness and negating. Still lacks an offensive game. Though if Curnow doesn't come up he could fill the breach.

McInnes okay. Did some really good 3rd man up stuff to support other defenders. Nothing special re offensive stuff though.

Temay, okay, nothing special. Has been overtaken by other newbies. Will be a strong, reliable seconds player.

Reynolds was busy. Really gets amongst it. Has a bit of dash and daring... reminds me a little of a young Ang Christou. Just needs some polish. I have no trouble imagining this kid breaking into the senior side next year. Maybe a game or two this year. But given another year in the gym / pre-season and education this is someone who could make it.

Giles is busy and he continues to improve. Really mobile and positive in the way he gets after the aggott. Another pre season will really help.

This Irish bloke, Sheehan is a beaut. Yes, makes a few rookie mistakes but is hard and never, ever gives up. Real potential.

Reckon Luke Webster is enjoying having some fair dinkum newbies at the place... sorry, but this 2014 crop is so far ahead of the McCarthy's and Mitchells etc. it aint funny, in fact it's tragic. 3 good wins on the trot says something.

After seeing both games today, and knowing that Juddy is out for a while, so might Curnow be and so might Dinger be (finger). Cripps probably needs to go back to the 2nds and learn a few things, and Lucas was as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike. So, you'd bring in Robbo, Den Den, Jeffy & Brock. Maybe Cachia for Curnow. If Jammo is okay for next week you'd leave out Rowe though it would seem he's become a project for the club. But maybe that is more changes than our coaching group would want to make...

Gee I'd be tempted to remove Temay from the senior list and replace him with one of our Rookies but you probably can't do that!
Agree with you there mate, but i'd be inclined to give Cripps a couple more games, even as the sub, and also give Lucas more time off half back/wing. Jamo, Robbo, Army, Jeffy and Brock give us some fairly decent cover given that Bell(4 weeks) Juddy (5 weeks) and Ed (6 weeks) will all be missing till r10 or later. If Jamo is right he comes in for Rowe or White, probably Rowe.

Thanks for the report!

Reply #26

Agree with you there mate, but i'd be inclined to give Cripps a couple more games, even as the sub, and also give Lucas more time off half back/wing. Jamo, Robbo, Army, Jeffy and Brock give us some fairly decent cover given that Bell(4 weeks) Juddy (5 weeks) and Ed (6 weeks) will all be missing till r10 or later. If Jamo is right he comes in for Rowe or White, probably Rowe.

Thanks for the report!

Cripps needs a rest

Reply #27
What type of player is Blaine Johnson. ?

Is he a cut down Jack Darling type or more of a Medhurst.
He looked rather bulky in his draft vids but they don't really show what type of player he is.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #28
What type of player is Blaine Johnson. ?

Is he a cut down Jack Darling type or more of a Medhurst.
He looked rather bulky in his draft vids but they don't really show what type of player he is.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/player-profile/blaine-johnson

186cm, 84kg.

Will no doubt add a few kg?
Johnson is medium-sized forward who can also play through the midfield. Carlton’s Director of Coaching Rob Wiley has described the Western Australian as a player who can “jump up over the top of packs, but is also good at ground level”.

Johnson comes to Carlton from South Fremantle, where he played senior football in the WAFL.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2014-02-27/in-focus-blaine-johnson

1.   How would you describe your style of play?
Defensive – and I like to push up the ground.

2.   What would you say is your greatest strength?
My defensive pressure and tackling ability.

3.   Who was your football hero when you were growing up?
Nic Naitanui – he’s such an exciting player and I love watching him.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #29
Both he and Reynolds remind me of good old fashioned style left foot flankers. The kind we haven't had for ages.   Can't quite think of a direct player analogy... maybe Matt Clape with a bit more mobility?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?