Skip to main content
Topic: RD 17 : North Melbourne v Carlton (Pre-game Jibber-Jabber) (Read 46398 times) previous topic - next topic

RD 17 : North Melbourne v Carlton (Pre-game Jibber-Jabber)

Apparently there's a game next week.

North Melbourne v Carlton
Friday, July 19 - 19:50
Etihad Stadium

A win puts us temporarily in the 8 and if St Kilda beat Port, we stay there (assuming West Coast don't give Sydney a frightful flogging).

Does Carrots start as sub? Does Watson get another gig?

Re: RD 17 : North Melbourne v Carlton (Pre-game Jibber-Jabber)

Reply #1

Friday, July 19 - 17:50
Etihad Stadium

Discuss. Does Carrots start as sub?
If he isn't fit, then he shouldn't be playing. We need him right, not half fit and formless.
The question also comes up about Murphy's hamstring.

Then the unfortunate truth that we have little to promote to replace them, if we must. Menzel & Graham?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2

Friday, July 19 - 17:50
Etihad Stadium

Discuss. Does Carrots start as sub?
If he isn't fit, then he shouldn't be playing. We need him right, not half fit and formless.
The question also comes up about Murphy's hamstring.

Then the unfortunate truth that we have little to promote to replace them, if we must. Menzel & Graham?

You negative Nelly. ;D
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #3
Hopefully the AFL beef up security to stop the North fans from booing and abusing Judd.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #4
The Diving Cheat is back from suspension just in time for his annual Friday night birthday.

Reply #5
The Diving Cheat is back from suspension just in time for his annual Friday night birthday.

Zac Touhy will be waiting for him, did the job on Milne and can get the job done on Thomas IMO.

Reply #6

Zac Touhy will be waiting for him, did the job on Milne and can get the job done on Thomas IMO.

The more I see of this kid, the more I like him. Need more 2E types.

Reply #7

I think Touhy might have to be very wary of Thomas, he goes to ground so much that Touhy could find himself in that indecisive mindset of not knowing which way to go. Clubs should be taking tapes of Thomas to the AFL and asking them if they now get that they have made it near impossible to play on cheats. This game really is the season defining game. Brisbane knocked off North after they gave up yet another lead, but overall North have been competitive and in a position to win almost every game this year and have had terrible lapses that have thrown their season away (remind you of another club?). I think they have probably in fact (at their best) played pretty much like a top 4 team, but they simply cannot manage to sustain it and (like when clubs play us), every single club in the competition knows that it is not over until the final siren, because they give up huge leads.

I wrote something about Watson and who he plays on if he plays, I don't see there being any option other than Tarrant, but then again I would seriously consider dropping Tarrant and bringing in Majak and I would do that because you know that it would be Watson playing on him. Watson doesn't initiate body contact (something Daw has a really really bad time with) and he doesn't have quick acceleration.

If the forward line is Daw/Black/Petrie, then it leaves us with a huge conundrum. I imagine Hendo will be up forward, so that leaves McInnes, Jamo and Watson as the tall defenders.
Jamo on Petrie... I don't know why but he has had issues with Petrie before, which is strange, because while Petrie is very strong, he is not quick at all and is poor at ground level.
McInnes on Black... Probably the best match-up for Black if Hendo is up the other end.
Watson on Tarrant/Daw... I think Watson can beat Tarrant (who is as soft as butter), but I could imagine Daw producing a result like he did against the Dogs if Watson played on him.

Do we play Rowe plus (Casboult or another tall) up front and bring Henderson back, then drop Watson?

It will be interesting to see how a master like Mick goes about handling one of the genuine 3 tall forward lines in the competition.

The other thing is that they don't have exceptional runners, but they do have excellent clearance players and a brilliant ruck. I would be asking our ruck to not try and get to fancy against Goldstein, barrel into him all night and thump the ball. Try and blow him up by around 3/4 time.
If we can do that, they are going to need to consider pulling Petrie from the forward line to assist Goldy in the ruck and then we our talls should be able to take hold of Tarrant/Daw and Black. Neither Tarrant nor Daw is likely to be a great option with a major defender on them.

If we win this game we can genuinely consider ourselves back in the hunt, but if we lose then we should be sending the likes of Murphy (who has had a horrible season) off for some early operations in preparation for next season.

Footnote: Statistically Murphy has not been this poor since 2007 (his 2nd season), his disposals this year are on average between 79-80% the number of his  disposals the previous 2 seasons, basically Murphy's full game output is similar to what he was doing in 3 quarters last season and it shows.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #8
The interesting question will be what to do if Waite is ok to play. I thought Watson did enough to keep his spot, only conceded 1 goal and disposal around the ground was A grade. Having Hendo up forward makes us look a lot more dangerous. Rowe did everything that was asked of him. Would we have a look at the 3 (genuine) forward set up?

Reply #9
Gees we owe this mob of diving, sniping, squealing hypocrites more than just about anybody, but thanks to the small paper for the acid treatment...  just about guaranteed norf win this week.

Don't expect anything other than a truckload of pineapples from the judicating personnel as well... really worried that what we saw against ST K will be amount to nothing more than a "dead cat bounce".

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #10
Hopefully the AFL beef up security to stop the North fans from booing and abusing Judd.
Yep, and they show how hypocritical they are by passionately defending Jack "I'm not going to change the way I play" Zeibell to the last breath.

Reply #11
A win puts us temporarily in the 8 and if St Kilda beat Port, we stay there (assuming West Coast don't give Sydney a frightful flogging).
Why are you talking about the 8?  We're in the 9, and that's all that's needed.  If the AFL don't remove Essendon from the finals, it will be a laughing stock, especially if they go on to win the flag. 

Reply #13
I thought Watson did enough to keep his spot

It concerns me though how slow he is when his opponent leads off him.

He can only learn this by playing AFL games and working hard on his closing speed with training drills. His big body was fine where he came from but he needs to develop more speed and stamina, along with endurance to take the next step. he has plenty of potential if he is prepared to do some hard work to get there.

Reply #14
I thought Watson did enough to keep his spot

It concerns me though how slow he is when his opponent leads off him.

He can only learn this by playing AFL games and working hard on his closing speed with training drills. His big body was fine where he came from but he needs to develop more speed and stamina, along with endurance to take the next step. he has plenty of potential if he is prepared to do some hard work to get there.

Well I hope his selection was based around your premise Mants. The kid is a sublime kick so if he could improve dramatically his deficiencies he would become a huge asset.
IN WADA WE TRUST