Skip to main content
Topic: Where To For Dylan Buckley ?? (Read 11827 times) previous topic - next topic

Where To For Dylan Buckley ??

Dylan Buckley was drafted in 2011 but debuted in RD 3 of 2013 yet to date, he has only managed 31 senior appearances.

Of greater concern is what strategic position is he best suited to ??

He's been trialled up forward as a goal-sneak but looked like a fish out of water, he has also been thrown into the midfield but it wasn't his strongest role. It's only been as a small defender where there has been any consistency of performance.

Out of contract at the end of this year, he is firmly under the microscope with no guarantees to be retained either.

I can't find a role for him at all in our team so I'm expecting him to be given a 1-year extension with some serious KPI's to go with it. Failure to cement a core position in the team will see him not achieve the KPI's and in turn, will be delisted at the end of 2017.    
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: Where To For Dylan Buckley ??

Reply #1
Delist
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #2
Depends whether or not he can make a senior impact this year. If he can't he may well be gone.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3
I think he's best suited as a mid-forward, unfortunately I don't know if he's good enough to hold that position at AFL level and I don't think we'll give him the chance.

He should come to WA or SA and play on big dry grounds in the WAFL or SANFL if he gets delisted. I think he's smash it in these comps and they will play him in those positions.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #4
He has pace, has a booming kick, is hard at it and always puts in so heis  exactly what we need but he consistently makes terrible decisions and has shown no signs of improving in that area.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #5
He has pace, has a booming kick, is hard at it and always puts in so heis  exactly what we need but he consistently makes terrible decisions and has shown no signs of improving in that area.

Buckley's biggest shortcoming is that he simply doesn't get enough of the ball.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
Buckley's biggest shortcoming is that he simply doesn't get enough of the ball.

Agree on getting the ball but...think his biggest problem is nous......makes the wrong choice/takes the wrong option too often....

Reply #7
Seemed to play his best when playing in defence on small forwards. Think he was doing that in 2014 when he had his best season. Provided alot of run out of there.

Thought he could go ok as a small forward but not so. Try him back in defence again and maybe release Touhy into the midfield.

Reply #8
Seemed to play his best when playing in defence on small forwards. Think he was doing that in 2014 when he had his best season. Provided alot of run out of there.

Thought he could go ok as a small forward but not so. Try him back in defence again and maybe release Touhy into the midfield.

This is an ok idea, but it seems to be about ensuring Dylan can get a game, rather than whats best for the team.

Tuohy is just as capable defensively, as is Byrne, and Sheehan who once again showed that he is a good kick of the footy even playing under duress on saturday.  They all provide the same amount of dash off half back as Dylan, and they can all get up the field and be a threat like Dylan.

Dylan needs to give us better link up play running up the field or get into the centre and become more of a threat before even getting into the above conversation unfortunatley.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
This is an ok idea, but it seems to be about ensuring Dylan can get a game, rather than whats best for the team.

Tuohy is just as capable defensively, as is Byrne, and Sheehan who once again showed that he is a good kick of the footy even playing under duress on saturday.  They all provide the same amount of dash off half back as Dylan, and they can all get up the field and be a threat like Dylan.

Dylan needs to give us better link up play running up the field or get into the centre and become more of a threat before even getting into the above conversation unfortunatley.

Not really. I said it because it was one position he did play well that year. Hasn't been tried since. We know Touhy's as capable defensively but could be valuable in the midfield too, especially with his run and ball use.

Reply #10

Dylan needs to grow some smarts and some efficiency of ball use. His decision making and ball use as as bad or barely better than Mitch Robinson, and he doesn't have Mitch's ability to stop or hurt opponents.

Point in case pick one out of Buckley or Nahas, I suspect it would be 50/50 for a decent sample size and that is damning!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
Dylan needs to grow some smarts and some efficiency of ball use. His decision making and ball use as as bad or barely better than Mitch Robinson, and he doesn't have Mitch's ability to stop or hurt opponents.

Point in case pick one out of Buckley or Nahas, I suspect it would be 50/50 for a decent sample size and that is damning!

Ball use isn't really much of an issue if you can't get the ball to begin with.

Buckley has to win more of his own ball, make better position for handball receives, become a tackling machine or, preferably, all three if his career is going to flourish.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12
Has so many laudable attributes but doesn't get it enough, too light, makes poor decisions and has scratchy disposal.  I hate to say it but I fear he is gone.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #13
If scardey-Tutt gets a game before you at this time of the year then you would have to seriously think your position is in jeopardy at Carlton

Reply #14
Any chance he could make it as a midfielder ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"