Skip to main content
Topic: Goaltracker (Read 52719 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Goaltracker

Reply #240
There have been times through the year whether I've wondered whether it was worth the effort but once having started  I thought I'd see it through to the end.

I don't think there's a great deal we can take from it but there are a few positives.
Statistically we may not have appeared to have made major advances but the fact we've stayed a bit ahead of last year in goals, goalkickers and percentage despite dropping down the ladder a bit kind of balances that fall a bit.

Yes, they're fair points lods.

Only 2 weeks to go, and then you're done.

Reply #241
I concur with you Lods particularly as the draw isn't the same as last year.

Having said that it is sort of interesting matching some of the current rhetoric against last year.  I don't think any one on gut feel would say that our scoring has improved more than our scores against.

Thanks for doing this...

Reply #242
There have been times through the year whether I've wondered whether it was worth the effort but once having started  I thought I'd see it through to the end.

I don't think there's a great deal we can take from it but there are a few positives.
Statistically we may not have appeared to have made major advances but the fact we've stayed a bit ahead of last year in goals, goalkickers and percentage despite dropping down the ladder a bit kind of balances that fall a bit.

Biggest difference is that 2 of our top 4 goal kickers are 19... and Samo is 7th which is a good sign.

Our inside 50s are down this year from 50.8 per game to 46. Disappointing.

Though we're generally much younger all over the ground this year so maybe I should expect more dropoffs this year.

Somehow feels like we've overachieved this year though. Given half the team is <21 most weeks.

Reply #243

Lods I really appreciate your efforts, I have been looking at them every week. Thanks for doing this for the whole year.

Reply #244

It was definitely worth the effort; thanks very much!

The results are quite interesting, particularly in the context of doom and gloom merchants claiming that we had no-one to kick goals.  Of course we have a long way to go but there are promising signs, particularly with our young lads starting to trouble the scorers quite regularly.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #245
After 21 Games

Goals 214 Behinds 205-1489 (points against- 1875)
Percentage 79.4%

2017(Target 224-224-1568)

Goals 224 Behinds 193-1537 (points against- 1900)
Percentage 80.9%

Goalkickers after 20 games (Target 2016- Wright 22)

Casboult 33
Wright 30
Silvagni 19
Curnow 18
Gibbs 17

2016-Final figures after 22 rounds
Matthew Wright-22
Bryce Gibbs-18
Levi Casboult-18
Andrejs Everitt-17
Dennis Armfield-16

This week.
-We’ve managed to equal our 2016 goal total of 224 with one round to go
-Our top 5 goalkickers have all ‘bested’ the corresponding totals of the 2016 top  5
-We no longer have the ‘worst attack’ in the league…we’ve gone past Freo for ‘Points For’ ;D

Reply #246
Thanks for your work on this lods. 1 more week, and then it's "siddown time", as our indigenous brothers put it.

They're all signs of progress to me, albeit small signs. Happy with that.

Reply #247
Interesting that our goal spread is much thinner this year - top 5 have kicked 52.2% or our goals, against 40.6% last year and that our defence is worse!  Overall we are currently 23 points better than last year...

Reply #248
Interesting that our goal spread is much thinner this year - top 5 have kicked 52.2% or our goals, against 40.6% last year and that our defence is worse!  Overall we are currently 23 points better than last year...

The defence has leaked about 1 point per game more than last year. More of a drip than a leak.

We all know there is still huge amounts of work to be done, on all fronts.

Reply #249
Fremantle have really stunk it up over the back half of the year - since round 10 they have lost 3 times by 100 points plus, and scored 7 goals or less 5 times. They are embarrassingly bad and we are miles ahead of them right now with a much better list.

With our goal kicking the problem remains that our mids don't get forward enough and kick goals. Murphy, Cripps, Samo, Kruz , Daisy all look good at times, but have been very inconsistent in terms of hitting the scoreboard and they all average 0.5 goals per game.

Pickett, Lamb and Fisher have all hit the scoreboard over the last 2 weeks which makes a big difference to our offensive threat. Long may it continue.......

Reply #250
Stats are funny things.
I don't think you'd get a lot of argument that our 2017 team is better than our 2016 team but...

If you look at it in really simplistic terms you could say that the improvement in our goal tally from 2016 to 2017 is all down to Casboult being a bit more accurate ;D

Reply #251
The defence has leaked about 1 point per game more than last year. More of a drip than a leak.

We all know there is still huge amounts of work to be done, on all fronts.

and our attack has had a flood of an additional 2 pts per game, breaking it down like that.

I don't care - this is just observational fun, purely on the surface interest for me, particularly as we are seeing improvement in the team - just not really on the scoreboard (either way), yet.  Next year, hopefully...

Reply #252
and our attack has had a flood of an additional 2 pts per game, breaking it down like that.

I don't care - this is just observational fun, purely on the surface interest for me, particularly as we are seeing improvement in the team - just not really on the scoreboard (either way), yet.  Next year, hopefully...

Yes, no disagreement from me matey.

Reply #253
6 smashings last year by 10+ goals.

Only 2 this year (so far). To achieve that with a younger team is a real achievement.

Reply #254
6 smashings last year by 10+ goals.

Only 2 this year (so far). To achieve that with a younger team is a real achievement.

Yep. This is what I go on. 6 v 2 humiliating Monday's. That's progress in my book ;)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.