Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - Trade (Read 11220 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW - Trade

Tayla Harris has requested a trade back to Melbourne!

Apparently we are the front runner! :o

Great article in The Hun by Eliza Sewell linked HERE.

Note the lack of spin and bullcrap, just the facts!

For the next draft there is a one game Father & Daughter rule I never knew about! :D

PS: Our club now has a nice summary of the new AFLW Trade / Draft rules. HERE
The Force Awakens!

Re: AFLW - Trade

Reply #1
Maybe this is where our Marquee signing will be????

Perhaps Trigg has been foxing all this time!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
Maybe this is where our Marquee signing will be????

Perhaps Trigg has been foxing all this time!

Pretty sure the rumour came out before the AFLW was even a thing.

Reply #5
I'm a bit surprised Stevens wasn't an automatic re-signing by Collingwood, who do we lose?

3 first round draft picks is the reported story.

I'm so so about this thinking.

That's a big price to pay for a proven performer, but the data on the draftees is probably not at the level to make any draft pick a certainty in the women's competition at this stage meaning that your chances of recruiting well are probably a little bit more down to good fortune, than anything else.

we will see how it all pans out later I guess.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #6

3 first round draft picks is the reported story.

I'm so so about this thinking.

That's a big price to pay for a proven performer, but the data on the draftees is probably not at the level to make any draft pick a certainty in the women's competition at this stage meaning that your chances of recruiting well are probably a little bit more down to good fortune, than anything else.

we will see how it all pans out later I guess.

It's since been reported that Stevens' requested the trade for personal reasons and Collingwood let her go.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
The thing to be mindful of is that the draft picks for this comp aren't as valuable as the mens. Also we have an excellent age profile at our club. A few clubs went pretty heavy with the older, more established players, but most of our best players are 24 and under. We can afford to forgo a draft to get top end talent in, especially when we could just as easily land a great kid later in the draft than early. It's much more speculative.

Reply #8
I'm a bit surprised Stevens wasn't an automatic re-signing by Collingwood, who do we lose?
3 Draft picks. We got Stevens and Collingwood's pick 28.

Probably some more wheeling and dealing to come.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #9
I would like us to get some real pace in our midfield. Our mids are a hard working lot, but they don't have the real ZIP I like to see. We do struggle somewhat against the teams with good midfields.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #10
I would like us to get some real pace in our midfield. Our mids are a hard working lot, but they don't have the real ZIP I like to see. We do struggle somewhat against the teams with good midfields.

I think we also need another KPF, most of our scoring came from our mids or Vescio who plays more like a small forward.

One more marking target to give Jakobsson a chop out would be nice, if they have enough aerobic capacity to go through the midfield even better.

Something tells me this draft is going to be chock-a-block full of youthful talent, there will be a lot of kids hearing the words all aboard the AFLW! I see a group of them down at the foreshore most mornings training on the sand, doing hill runs and handball drills.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
I think we also need another KPF, most of our scoring came from our mids or Vescio who plays more like a small forward.

Taylah Harris?

Reply #13
Agreed, Harris marking with Vescio crumbing would be a devastating combination, and Vescio would end up with a lesser defender.

But you would think after the Stevens deal we are out of the running, but who knows, is Jo Silvagni part of the AFLW negotiating team?

One gets the feeling there is some Victorian bias in the AFLW, they want a Victorian team to be in the finals to allow greater interest. It will be interesting to see how trade / draft week pans out.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
From what I read yesterday, it seems as though the players will become unrestricted free agents if a trade isn't agreed to, with compensation given to the team losing a player. So there's a chance we could wait until after the trade period to pick up Harris and let the AFL compensate them.