Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 9: Northern Blues vs Werribee on TV (Read 8440 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL Rd 9: Northern Blues vs Werribee on TV

The Blues get their 2nd chance on TV this year with a game against Werribee on Saturday afternoon.
As the senior play on Saturday night on the Gold Coast, that will make some interesting decisions as to who is where and for how long.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL Rd 9: Northern Blues vs Werribee on TV

Reply #2
NORTHERN BLUES v. WERRIBEE

Round 9 – 17/06/2017

02:10

IKON Park

Northern Blues

B: 47. C. Sheehan, 43. S. White, 7. D. Buckley
HB: 59. C. Byrne, 70. H. Macreadie, 49. D. Armfield
C: 72. S.  Kerridge, 32. N.  Graham, 60. J.  Pickett
HF: 31. P. Kerr, 48. K. Jaksch, 67. C. Polson
F: 5. B. Smedts, 19. H. McKay, 56. A. Gallucci
R: 15. A. Phillips, 33. R. Palmer, 1. T. Wilson
Int: 76. K. LeBois, 21. C. Barrett, 13. C. O’Shea, 8. L. Russell, 34. J. Glass-McCasker, 6. G. Strachan, 50. D. Gorringe, 20. D. Stevens

23P: 52. S. Fowler

In: G. Strachan, D. Gorringe, S. Fowler, C. Barrett, J. Glass-McCasker, D. Stevens
Out: J. Corboy,  B. Boekhorst

Nice to see a team this strong, but at least 2 emergencies will probably not play: they will be on the Gold Coast. It would be nice if there were only 2, as we have taken 3 in the past.
Interesting to see Fowler named, as he was named on the bench for the Development team last week. Still, he has a reputation as someone not far from being draftable.

Werribee

B: 48. N. Meredith, 22. S. Durdin, 60. N. Buykx
HB: 12. R. Barrack, 26. D. Nielson, 9. A. Swallow
C: 37. W.  Fordham, 11. M.  Hanson, 39. M.  Hibberd
HF: 36. J. Williams, 40. N. Larkey, 76. J. Anderson
F: 44. C. Zurhaar, 38. M. Daw, 78. L. Thomas
R: 31. B. Preuss, 4. T. Gribble, 7. D. McFarlane
Int: 63. T. Ellard, 10. J. Maishman, 56. M. Augerinos, 6. J. Sharp, 2. M. Munro, 5. J. Jones, 18. J. Cleeland, 46. M. Taylor

23P: 29. D. Brew

Nick Buykx is a kid who has exceeded expectations since his debut, getting around 20 disposals per game. He is the son of one of my co-workers at Werribee Secondary College. He is small and light, but quick and skilled. Look for him: he isn't North listed.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
NORTHERN BLUES v. WERRIBEE

Round 9 – 17/06/2017

11:00

IKON Park

Northern Blues

B: 18. B. Jordan, 25. K. Keppel, 22. C. McCabe
HB: 4. S. Russell, 34. J. Glass-McCasker, 6. G. Strachan
C: 3. K.  Declase, 44. W.  Krithararis, 57. F.  Pearce
HF: 21. C. Barrett, 50. D. Gorringe, 12. Z. Ballard
F: 9. J. Corboy, 53. H. Payne, 54. M. Romero
R: 80. M. Korcheck, 11. T. Jones, 20. D. Stevens
Int: 41. S. Glover, 16. J. Thorpe, 35. M. Stavrou, 46. J. Bradley, 24. T. Roos, 30. S. Bolger, 27. A. Milham, 23. C. Adams, 78. M. Walson

In: J. Corboy, M. Walson, S. Bolger, J. Thorpe, T. Roos, M. Stavrou

Out: S. Fowler,  R. Maibaum

It looks like Korchek's papers are stamped - being at Development level at this point does not look good. Gorringe and Glass-McCasker also have to worry.
I'd be playing Glass-McCasker forward, to be honest. He hasn't improved enough as a defender to challenge Jones, Silvagni or Rowe and he has enough weapons to make a decent forward. But I seem to be calling on deaf ears with this one.

Werribee

B: 35. D. Watson, 46. M. Taylor, 15. B. Iles
HB: 6. J. Sharp, 79. L. McLeod, 58. L. Pinnuck
C: 10. J.  Maishman, 5. J.  Jones, 56. M.  Augerinos
HF: 63. T. Ellard, 32. J. Corbett, 25. A. Adams
F: 54. B. Shelley, 18. J. Cleeland, 2. M. Munro
R: 30. K. Galloway, 27. E. Petterwood, 19. N. Laracy
Int: 57. H. Boyd, 8. H. King, 62. I. Miller, 1. B. Hodgson, 80. J. Edwards, 52. J. Marshall, 65. S. Amarantidis, 59. B. Houlihan, 70. B. Crofts
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
Have not seen all of the game but Kerr and Harry showing little or nothing. KJ has 3 to half time. (Kerr is out there right?)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #5
After a very close contest the wheels have fallen off the NB train in the third.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #6
Gorringe injured in the first. Phillip she injured in the 3rd. Kerr in the ruck.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #7
And I can see why AFL umpiring is no good, it's worse in the VFL. Thomas receives a kick from the boundary line that traveled 5-6m a best. Called a mark and a shot at goal.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #9
No rucks after half time made it tough but we looked undersized and were out muscled in the end...

Buckley...couple of dashes from half back and had some good long kicks on the run but doesnt grab me as the small defender we need.....too light and not strong enough IMO.
MacReadie...battled on but was well beaten by another thin tall kid called Larkey.
White....tackled well but a few dumb moments in the game reminded me of how ordinary he can be, will probably get a week for contacting the umpire accidentally after giving away a 50m penalty....
Polson. ordinary early but tagged Swallow after half time and did better..
Armfield....Denis is done and dusted, might get the charity last senior game.
JGM...got hurt but was getting beat up by Daw anyway...not big or smart enough vs good players..
Philips...BOG till he got hurt, beat Pruess and Daw in the ruck and was doing well around the ground..
Pickett...couple of goals but doesnt do enough.
Lebois...still finding his way...
Palmer....went ok without being brilliant, when he gets it he usually does something with it but not enough to warrant senior footy.
Kerridge...probably our best player in the end, worked hard and presented well especially in the air where he took some good marks...
Kerr...not sighted early but had to share ruck duties with Jaksch vs Preuess/Daw and found some footy around the ground..looked a bit heavy and slow.
Jacksh...kicked a couple of goals and worked down both ends but didnt excite me too much..did some ruck work and actually wasnt too bad but he wont be playing senior footy anytime soon and looks gone. Not intense enough and doesnt seem to have much care factor...
HarryMac...looks good when he gets the footy and makes it look easy but doesnt do enough at times...marking is good but kicking needs work...lazy approach and a bit .
careless at times...
Gorringe...injured early but wasnt much chop anyway...playing very bruise free footy...
Graham....along with Kerridge probably our best but I remain unconvinced about him at senior level......tackled well, got plenty of ball, couple of goals and we all know he can play well at this level but he doesnt hurt teams with his field kicking enough and his lack of pace makes his disposal more of an issue.

Reply #10
Following twitter it seemed we had two bad patches in the 2nd and 3rd qtrs where we let Werribee rattle on 4 and 5 goals quickly. Cost us in the end. We we lazy last week and it seemed it carried over this week.

Reply #11
No rucks after half time made it tough but we looked undersized and were out muscled in the end...

Buckley...couple of dashes from half back and had some good long kicks on the run but doesnt grab me as the small defender we need.....too light and not strong enough IMO.
MacReadie...battled on but was well beaten by another thin tall kid called Larkey.
White....tackled well but a few dumb moments in the game reminded me of how ordinary he can be, will probably get a week for contacting the umpire accidentally after giving away a 50m penalty....
Polson. ordinary early but tagged Swallow after half time and did better..
Armfield....Denis is done and dusted, might get the charity last senior game.
JGM...got hurt but was getting beat up by Daw anyway...not big or smart enough vs good players..
Philips...BOG till he got hurt, beat Pruess and Daw in the ruck and was doing well around the ground..
Pickett...couple of goals but doesnt do enough.
Lebois...still finding his way...
Palmer....went ok without being brilliant, when he gets it he usually does something with it but not enough to warrant senior footy.
Kerridge...probably our best player in the end, worked hard and presented well especially in the air where he took some good marks...
Kerr...not sighted early but had to share ruck duties with Jaksch vs Preuess/Daw and found some footy around the ground..looked a bit heavy and slow.
Jacksh...kicked a couple of goals and worked down both ends but didnt excite me too much..did some ruck work and actually wasnt too bad but he wont be playing senior footy anytime soon and looks gone. Not intense enough and doesnt seem to have much care factor...
HarryMac...looks good when he gets the footy and makes it look easy but doesnt do enough at times...marking is good but kicking needs work...lazy approach and a bit .
careless at times...
Gorringe...injured early but wasnt much chop anyway...playing very bruise free footy...
Graham....along with Kerridge probably our best but I remain unconvinced about him at senior level......tackled well, got plenty of ball, couple of goals and we all know he can play well at this level but he doesnt hurt teams with his field kicking enough and his lack of pace makes his disposal more of an issue.

Nice summary, EB1. We lost our way without Phillips but it did get Kerr into the game! Those lapses in concentration were really costly.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #12
The little I saw I was really impressed by Polson's work in close, especially by hand.  The NBs are light years ahead if previous years, actually playing with some system.

Mackay has a great hands but a lazy kicking style that concerns me.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #13
Thanks to EB and co for the great summaries.

Gee our ruck stocks have been pushed with injury this season. (Please let big Kreuz stay fit). No doubt H needs our patience.

Did Byrne play?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #14
Thanks to EB and co for the great summaries.

Gee our ruck stocks have been pushed with injury this season. (Please let big Kreuz stay fit). No doubt H needs our patience.

Did Byrne play?

LN...Apologies..Forgot Byrne.....given he is a bit rusty he wasnt too bad....still the same attacking player but just hasnt picked up the pace fully yet but that will come and he showed he is still the promising player we all knew from last season..

Sheehan....had Lindsay Thomas for company and did the job on him without being a star himself....Apart from one early soccer type goal Thomas spent most of the afternoon trying to cheap shot opponents and had little interest in the game. Gus used the ball well when he did get it and remains in the mix for the future but is still 50/50 IMO...

Galluci...early goals but faded when the game got tougher....gets sucked in and loses concentration......back to Willy for him I'm reckoning...