Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 13: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs GC (Read 38754 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 13: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs GC

Reply #150
Yes, Gibbs is sure to get a lot of attention.  However, that should mean free rein for Murphy and Cripps.

Exactly why he should tag Martin

Reply #151
Totally against Gibbs tagging Martin. He should be playing basically the exact same game as last week.
He should put a lot of body pressure on Martin as often as he can, but Curnow should have the run with role.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #152
Neither Curnow or Gibbs can mix it with Martin ....we have been trying for years to limit him without success. Gary Ablett jr is a nice clean player but he doesnt have the power of Martin in close and thats where he always gets our players as none can lay a tackle on him.
Maybe Gibbs can play off Martin and hope to cause equal amount of damage but I'd expect Hardwick to tag Gibbs and play defensive forwards on at least Docherty and maybe Simpson..

If Cripps had more pace I would try him on Martin...thought he was down last week and his direct opponent in Lyons was GC's best player....

Reply #153
Neither Curnow or Gibbs can mix it with Martin ....we have been trying for years to limit him without success. Gary Ablett jr is a nice clean player but he doesnt have the power of Martin in close and thats where he always gets our players as none can lay a tackle on him.
Maybe Gibbs can play off Martin and hope to cause equal amount of damage but I'd expect Hardwick to tag Gibbs and play defensive forwards on at least Docherty and maybe Simpson..

If Cripps had more pace I would try him on Martin...thought he was down last week and his direct opponent in Lyons was GC's best player....
Martin ran riot rnd 1, that will not happen this Sunday, of this I am supremely confident.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #154
Martin ran riot rnd 1, that will not happen this Sunday, of this I am supremely confident.

i would be telling the Bolt to clean up Dusty if he gets the chance, ditto Jones....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #155

Some of our blokes will have to grit their teeth and attempt to tackle him then...1st round they were throwing one arm out or jumping out the road...it was shades of when we played Barry Hall in the bad old days. You have to take the beast head on and show you wont be intimidated...needs a leader to do that....

Reply #156
SOS is this week's Rising Star!

Reply #157
i would be telling the Bolt to clean up Dusty if he gets the chance, ditto Jones....

The Bolt and Dusty tangled in the 1st round and from memory the Bolt didnt want to mix it....bit embarrassing ....

Reply #158
SOS is this week's Rising Star!
Dusty is not going to be put off his game by pushing him around... id prefer us to win it without any of those dirty tactics, I've always hated how Murph has been targeted by opposition players and I'd prefer to show our skill rather than rough play

Reply #159
Dusty is not going to be put off his game by pushing him around... id prefer us to win it without any of those dirty tactics, I've always hated how Murph has been targeted by opposition players and I'd prefer to show our skill rather than rough play

I agree, but we're firmly in the minority. The tagging scragging niggling etc. is seemingly here to stay, by popular demand as much as anything else.

Reply #160
And I should add - I get the feeling Bolts is a bit of a fan of the niggle, either in verbal or physical form, so i expect we'll see plenty of this in the near future.

Reply #161
And I should add - I get the feeling Bolts is a bit of a fan of the niggle, either in verbal or physical form, so i expect we'll see plenty of this in the near future.

Agree....think the harassment of Ablett was a well engineered plan rather than a after thought.......
TARGET this week....not Dusty as most would expect but the captain Trent Cotchin...the Cotch is a nice clean ball player who has had his moments with taggers and I reckon Ed Curnow and his band of merry assistants might find him suitable prey. ;)

Reply #162
I dont agree with anything cowardice behind play or taking players out, but there is nothing wrong with strong, close attention with abit of niggle. Its simply reducing his space to operate. If he is good enough and fit enough, he will get off the chain, if he isnt, he gets nullified. Thats footy. As for his fending off, Ive said it before and Ill say it again, its easy to deal with. Our little mate Rioli at Hawthorn is 2/3 of Martin's size but could deal with him easy as he has the technique of tackling by the arm down pat.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #163

We have successfully taken Martin out of a game. Not surprisingly nobody remembers, because it is the often overlooked Simon White who did it. Ran with him through the middle and matched up on him up forward.

I reckon it might be worth attempting to do that again.

That also allows us to play Weitering forward who towelled up Rance in R1 - kicking 3.

OUT: Willo (rest)
IN: White.

Reply #164

he grew up with it, as a DaWKS' coach....
Finals, then 4 in a row!