Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 13: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs GC (Read 39192 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 13: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs GC

Reply #180
They made a bit of a deal of it on Fox Footy last night.

Curnow's tactics aren't good for the game but when "Lingy" used to do them he was a legend.

All the callers think it's hilarious when "Mummy" flattens blokes but it's undisciplined when Lyndsey Thomas does it.

When Mitchell, Hodge and Selwood all punch on it's great to see warriors going at it but when Yarran beat up Paul Chapman it was uncalled for.

These are the same commentators that called fans racist for booing Adam Goodes.

I won't comment on your last sentence, but existing hypocrisies should not be used to legitimate further hypocrisies, and should not be used to legitimate further unsavory behavior.  Hypocrisy exists - we all know that, and it's endemic to being human. There's a difference between hypocrisy and genuinely believing that two situations are different, however similar they may seem to others, but that's for another time.

As for Ling, no player is perfect, but I thought as far as taggers go, he was cleaner than most. Granted, i didn't watch every game he played, so I can't comment further.

Reply #181
So to be clear here Paul.

Just to be sure I am understanding your position...
Do you think bumping into a player off the ball is dirty?
Do you think what we done to Ablett needs to be stamped out?

If so I think every player who has ever played the game has to be classed as dirty.
Nothing done to Ablett last week was dirty (in my opinion).
An players injury wasn't targeted, we haven't heard unsavory personal sledging.
To me it was absolutely perfectly played.

From what I can tell, the players let Ablett know he was playing a physical contest and it has happened forever and I would had to see it disappear.

God how often even at junior football would you have a bit of push and shove, shoulder bumping, chest pumping... seriously. The game must stay physical (whilst stamping out dirtiness).
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #182
MIO,

no. I think that Ablett's treatment was within the rules. No, I don't think it's dirty, but personally I don't like it.

Reply #183
MIO,

no. I think that Ablett's treatment was within the rules. No, I don't think it's dirty, but personally I don't like it.

I loved it when I saw Fox Footy talking about us like this last night. Imagine being known for physically bullying other clubs when half our team are U21!

I do not recall anyone taking up this baton when it was Murphy on the receiving end.

It is a physical game and Bolton is teaching the youngsters if you're not the bully you're probably the bullied. Physical intimidation is an important part of the game.

Love it.

Reply #184
I loved it when I saw Fox Footy talking about us like this last night. Imagine being known for physically bullying other clubs when half our team are U21!

I do not recall anyone taking up this baton when it was Murphy on the receiving end.

It is a physical game and Bolton is teaching the youngsters if you're not the bully you're probably the bullied. Physical intimidation is an important part of the game.

Love it.

I would assume your views correlate with the majority.

Reply #185

Hopefully the umpires crack down on it hard and quickly for even the slightest misdemeanor.  It seems that we haven't had anyone targetted yet, however, it will happen.

MRP also has to lift its game.  We need clean, strong, tough footy, not a whole lot of cheap shots.

I hate it as well. Don't agree with what we did to Ablett at all. To condone it would make me a hypocrite of the highest order because I hated how teams did it to Judd and Diesel. If Ablett got off the hook and won the game for the Suns as he very nearly did then I'd be ok with that - means the team with the better footballer/s would have won.  This macho moose butting is just ridiculous - even U12 teams are doing it off the ball now. Just go for the ball FSS.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #186
Best part was Willo knocking him on his arse per team instructions.

Docherty says in the Journey Ep 4 "We wont be letting other clubs walk over us"

We did nothing untowards towards Ablett and stuff 10 times worse happens in Ammo's. Stop finding fault in everything.

"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #187
Best part was Willo knocking him on his arse per team instructions.

Docherty says in the Journey Ep 4 "We wont be letting other clubs walk over us"

We did nothing untowards towards Ablett and stuff 10 times worse happens in Ammo's. Stop finding fault in everything.

Agree. I've seen a lot worse, and perpetrated on us. The AFL is a shark pool and players know that when they step onto the field. We are at a critical and formative time and we need to show we can handle and dish out the tough stuff when needed. Ablett is a big boy.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #188
I hate it as well. Don't agree with what we did to Ablett at all. To condone it would make me a hypocrite of the highest order because I hated how teams did it to Judd and Diesel. If Ablett got off the hook and won the game for the Suns as he very nearly did then I'd be ok with that - means the team with the better footballer/s would have won.  This macho moose butting is just ridiculous - even U12 teams are doing it off the ball now. Just go for the ball FSS.

I would have to agree.

But as I said earlier, Bolton is a niggle fan, so we should expect to see plenty of this in the coming seasons.

Reply #189
They were talking someone on the radio recently, perhaps Luke Hodge. Basically talking about players copping fines from the MRP and who pays them.

Basically if a player does something stupid off his own bat, he has to deal with the fine himself. (Think Waite)
If a player gets fined for sticking up for a teammate, even melee's, then they pass the hat around and people chip in.

It's basically expected that you stand up for your teammates, especially the kids, and clubs ensure that you are not penalised financially for doing so.

If it was indeed Hodge and the hawks, i expect Bolton has brought that rule to us as well. Perhaps thats why players are more willing to stand up for a teammate now more than ever.

Its good to see some controlled aggression.

Reply #190

Love it.
x2.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #191
Big difference between slamming people in the back Bugg style, taking out a kid with a high bump Buddy style, running past the ball to slam a player like Hodge, jumper punching and a bit of relatively  harmless grappling and close attention.

I'd rather be known as a side that goes 100% at the ball but there is a line between dirty play and niggle that I don't want to cross.  Footy is a gladiatorial sport after all.

If umpires and the MRP did their job in the first place there wouldn't be a problem .... if the AFL was serious about untoward play they'd do something about instead of kowtowing to a tin medal and a heap of corporate gambling agencies.  Can't believe how they warp every situation to protect the "integrity of the Brownlow".... what a total crock.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #192

Yeah, I can see your point of view.....I don't like the look of it either, and yes I hated the continual scragging of Judd (Which by the way, was usually quite a bit worse than what Ablett got on the weekend) ......but as the Umps or the AFL are doing nothing to prevent the best players in the game being targeted, then unfortunately it's a case of us either joining in, or playing the moral high ground & getting walked over.

That's the decision.

I'd rather the niggle that Ed & the lads indulged in than cheap shots that the likes of Scott Thompson practice every game.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #193
I'd rather be known as a side that goes 100% at the ball but there is a line between dirty play and niggle that I don't want to cross.  Footy is a gladiatorial sport after all.

Most of the Ablett niggle, like the Judd and Murphy niggle before it, comes when the ball isn't in play around a stoppage.

If players didn't have to wait for umpires and broadcasters, if they could get on with the game, there would be little opportunity to behave this way! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #194
The aspect thats changed is that it used to be one player doing the niggle ie Ryan Crowley was the high prince of close tagging but we are now seeing half  the team trying to bang into players like Ablett.....one on one its ok IMO but on mass its probably not a great look for the game.
Its going to end in a massive brawl one day when the tagged one decides to belt the would be aggressors.....when that happens the AFL might look at it more closely...