Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 13: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs GC (Read 38753 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 13: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs GC

Reply #165
Agree....think the harassment of Ablett was a well engineered plan rather than a after thought.......
TARGET this week....not Dusty as most would expect but the captain Trent Cotchin...the Cotch is a nice clean ball player who has had his moments with taggers and I reckon Ed Curnow and his band of merry assistants might find him suitable prey. ;)

The old West Indies tactic of targetting the captain to bring down the rest of the team.

Reply #166
The old West Indies tactic of targetting the captain to bring down the rest of the team.
i'd be expecting Richmond to attack Docherty this week. I hope he's ready.

Reply #167
I don't think that's going to work this time.  Vickery isn't there anymore to rough up the little blokes and kids.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #168
i'd be expecting Richmond to attack Docherty this week. I hope he's ready.
Go to 00:50 and listen to Doc, he and his team mates will be ready.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2017-06-17/the-journey-s2e4
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #169
We have successfully taken Martin out of a game. Not surprisingly nobody remembers, because it is the often overlooked Simon White who did it. Ran with him through the middle and matched up on him up forward.

I reckon it might be worth attempting to do that again.

That also allows us to play Weitering forward who towelled up Rance in R1 - kicking 3.

OUT: Willo (rest)
IN: White.

Now that you mention it I do remember White playing on him and doing well....yep worth a try and Weitering forward to play on Rance isnt a bad idea either.
Be more inclined to drop Boekhorst who was suited to GC but  I'm not so keen on him vs the Tigers but I take your point that Williamson looks a bit jaded and might need to be managed..

Reply #170
While there is no doubt that targetting players has gone on forever, I think that the spirit of how it is done now is quite nasty and unwarranted - something that seems to have come into the game over the last few weeks (hadn't noticed it before we targetted Heeney? from the Swans) - particularly before the first bounce.

Hopefully the umpires crack down on it hard and quickly for even the slightest misdemeanor.  It seems that we haven't had anyone targetted yet, however, it will happen.

MRP also has to lift its game.  We need clean, strong, tough footy, not a whole lot of cheap shots.

Reply #171
I am the opposite I love it.
It isn't dirty shots hitting a player whilst down, but it is putting a body on a player at every opportunity and there is no thing within the rules stopping it.

I wanted us to stop being so 'nice' on the field. All premiership teams recently have some real mongrel in them and Hawthorn in particular was a nasty bunch of screws that let you know you were playing a physical game at ever opportunity. Remember this was not the Hawthorn model 12 years ago, they made an effort to become more nasty.

I have been calling for to play a more anti-social brand of football for a while, so I LOVED seeing this against the Suns and I hope we keep it up. I hope clubs start to hate playing us.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #172
I wanted us to stop being so 'nice' on the field.

I agree, so long we've been the road kill that the vultures of other clubs pecked at!

On the issue of the Ablett type treatment, as long as the bumps and knocks are within the rules I'm OK with that. Having heard Judd talk about the attention he got he's OK with it as well, for him that is football and changing it would make the game irrevocably different.

I think you'll find Ablett is OK with that as well, as long as it's fair. He got frustrated, but I think you'll find that was partly because what was lacking at the weekend was cover from his own team-mates. GC played in the way we use to play, they left Ablett to the wolves like we used to leave Murphy! When Ablett got himself back in the game after 1/2-time, that is a moment footballers can be proud of, it really means something to succeed despite adversity!

The thing we don't want are the king hits and cheap shots, which are very different from what we saw at the weekend. If one of our players or any opposition player throw a Rosa type cross I want them banned for even minimal impact, if the impact is major I want severe penalties. That sort of sh1t, king hits, raised elbows(Lindsay Thomas style), short arm jabs, there is no room in the game for it! Players have the right to expect the game to be played hard but fair!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #173
While there is no doubt that targetting players has gone on forever, I think that the spirit of how it is done now is quite nasty and unwarranted - something that seems to have come into the game over the last few weeks (hadn't noticed it before we targetted Heeney? from the Swans) - particularly before the first bounce.

Hopefully the umpires crack down on it hard and quickly for even the slightest misdemeanor.  It seems that we haven't had anyone targetted yet, however, it will happen.

MRP also has to lift its game.  We need clean, strong, tough footy, not a whole lot of cheap shots.

Agree - there are numerous negating tactics that can be employed by teams on star players, or players that are deemed to be the weak link. Some of these tactics are fair enough - strong tackles, clean hits, close checking etc. But some are not.

If I pay good money to see a game, I want to be able to see the likes of Ablett ply their trade and play footy at a high level. If they are to be challenged, then challenge them legitimately. I have no interest in seeing someone like him buffeted, bumped, jumper punched, held onto etc., by some no name twerp who can't earn their keep any other way.

Reply #174
I agree, so long we've been the road kill that the vultures of other clubs pecked at!

On the issue of the Ablett type treatment, as long as the bumps and knocks are within the rules I'm OK with that. Having heard Judd talk about the attention he got he's OK with it as well, for him that is football and changing it would make the game irrevocably different.

I think you'll find Ablett is OK with that as well, as long as it's fair. He got frustrated, but I think you'll find that was partly because what was lacking at the weekend was cover from his own team-mates. GC played in the way we use to play, they left Ablett to the wolves like we used to leave Murphy! When Ablett got himself back in the game after 1/2-time, that is a moment footballers can be proud of, it really means something to succeed despite adversity!

The thing we don't want are the king hits and cheap shots, which are very different from what we saw at the weekend. If one of our players or any opposition player throw a Rosa type cross I want them banned for even minimal impact, if the impact is major I want severe penalties. That sort of sh1t, king hits, raised elbows(Lindsay Thomas style), short arm jabs, there is no room in the game for it! Players have the right to expect the game to be played hard but fair!

From what I have seen the umps let it go  when its just bumping, pushing etc like Ablett received however the team initiating that stuff dont get any favours back when the opposition ie Rosa have a crack back and they get away with it even though it can be more severe. I'd expect Richmond to give us what we gave GC and it will a spiteful game... a player like Murphy might need the helmet on again...
Vlastuin and Ellis fancy themselves as hard men and I think they are the types that will try and start the Ablett like treatment...hope we dont get sucked in...
Miss Robbo in these games, he was always good value vs the Tigers...

Reply #175
From what I have seen the umps let it go  when its just bumping, pushing etc like Ablett received however the team initiating that stuff dont get any favours back when the opposition ie Rosa have a crack back and they get away with it even though it can be more severe. I'd expect Richmond to give us what we gave GC and it will a spiteful game... a player like Murphy might need the helmet on again...
Vlastuin and Ellis fancy themselves as hard men and I think they are the types that will try and start the Ablett like treatment...hope we dont get sucked in...
Miss Robbo in these games, he was always good value vs the Tigers...

EB1, on the Ablett Jnr issue.

We've watched this sort of stuff happen to Judd and Murphy for almost a decade without so much as a peep coming from the media or social media. Now we turn the tables on Ablett Snr, and all of a sudden there is an outrage!

I suspect the outrage is more about shock around non-Carlton people that Carlton is no longer laying down for it's regular thrashing! The bullies have become too use to bullying us and they are bitching when we push back, they are struggling to deal with losing to us when the excuse that they were off their own game doesn't fly!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #176
EB1, on the Ablett Jnr issue.

We've watched this sort of stuff happen to Judd and Murphy for almost a decade without so much as a peep coming from the media or social media. Now we turn the tables on Ablett Snr, and all of a sudden there is an outrage!

I suspect the outrage is more about shock around non-Carlton people that Carlton is no longer laying down for it's regular thrashing! The bullies have become too use to bullying us and they are bitching when we push back, they are struggling to deal with losing to us when the excuse that they were off their own game doesn't fly!

The AFL website and the Age realfooty website make no mention at all of the treatment dished out to Gaz. Where is this media outrage ?

Reply #177
The one thing I think is unsavoury is what the Melbourne players did on twitter with Johanisson from the Bulldogs.

Telling him hes "next" for physical intimidation by the two players looking to do it ahead of time on Twitter is outright borderline bullying.

Despite that, giving him a warning that its coming is quite stupid and means he can start working on ways to nullify it or get prepared (mentally) for it.  Don't underestimate the surprise factor in terms of accomplishing the job.

I hope we never resort to such stuff, and are known as being tough, but fair to play against, which ties into the respect side of things.

Melbourne are not ever going to earn respect, and I am absolutely unsurprised to see this stuff emerge under an ex-Essendon coach in Simon Goodwin.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #178
The AFL website and the Age realfooty website make no mention at all of the treatment dished out to Gaz. Where is this media outrage ?

They made a bit of a deal of it on Fox Footy last night.

Curnow's tactics aren't good for the game but when "Lingy" used to do them he was a legend.

All the callers think it's hilarious when "Mummy" flattens blokes but it's undisciplined when Lyndsey Thomas does it.

When Mitchell, Hodge and Selwood all punch on it's great to see warriors going at it but when Yarran beat up Paul Chapman it was uncalled for.

These are the same commentators that called fans racist for booing Adam Goodes.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #179

Mostly today I'm hearing attempts to beat it up on radio, but I think they are failing which is a good thing, it's like the last few days when the media tried it's best to beat up the Daisy bump.

I heard today a comment in relation to Buckley's anti-media rant that players fully understand that the role of the media is to express an opinion, but that's not correct. It's the media's role is to report, it's the editors role is to express the opinions of the organisation they and the journalists represent!

The players are confusing the right of bloggers or journalist to publish a private opinion in a private forum, with the role and responsibilities of a journalist in a public media entity!
The Force Awakens!