Skip to main content
Topic: Round 14: Pre-Game Richmond (Read 17133 times) previous topic - next topic

Round 14: Pre-Game Richmond

Crash has yet to start this thread, so will kick it off.

Round: 14
Date: Sunday May 25th
Time: 15:20
Home Team: Richmond

Last 5
======
Richmond 5-0
Average Margin: 24.2 Points

Last Win
=======
EF 2013
Richmond  3.5     10.7     12.10     14.12        (96)   
Carlton     2.3       6.5     12.6       18.8        (116)

Last Game
===========
Round 1: 2017
Carlton        4.3     7.4       12.4      14.5         (89)
Richmond    7.3    13.5       15.11    20.12     (132)

Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Re: Round 14: Pre-Game Richmond

Reply #1
If Casboult plays (and there is no reason to assume that he won't) and if Rance plays on him, then we need Casboult to do what Carey used to do to us. Lead away from the play, act as a decoy and the lads need to keep the ball away from him.

Keeping Rance away from the drop of the ball isn't going to be easy but if we manage that I think it gives the rest of our forwards the best chance of kicking a winning score.

Richmond can be kept to low scores and have been kept to about 76 or below in all of their losses this year. We just have to make sure they don't get a big start like the Kangas did. If we keep it tight we can win this game.

Their midfield is extremely dangerous though and we need to match them in the contested possession.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #2
I've a feeling Rance will go to Charlie Curnow.

Clubs deal with Casboult by taking away his run at the pack, it was a glaring omission from the recent GC and GWS, you don't need a guy his height just a player heavy enough to wrestle with him behind play. I reckon Astbury or Grimes will get Casboult.

But one thing, I believe we can stretch Nthmond right across the ground, they do not look that big at the moment!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
I can't believe we have lost 5 in a row to these peasants. Got to do something about that!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
I can't believe we have lost 5 in a row to these peasants. Got to do something about that!
And that is what they are Crash Peasants! A good analogy. Silence is always deafening with a Richmond crowd  :)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #5
For something a bit different I would put Jones on Rance and tell him not to worry about goals but to play Rance like you played Lynch etc. Deny Rance any freedom in the back line and you're well on the way to beating the Richmond. 

Weiters or Marchbank can look after Jack.

Reply #6

We've had some of the top rated players on the ground in recent times, but our middle tier and bottom end players have been smashed.

An aside, how was Tony Jones at the weekend having a dig at Carlton for not promoting the game, it's a Nthmond home game for a start!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
For something a bit different I would put Jones on Rance and tell him not to worry about goals but to play Rance like you played Lynch etc. Deny Rance any freedom in the back line and you're well on the way to beating the Richmond. 

Weiters or Marchbank can look after Jack.

Would you want our back-line disrupted after the last few games?

I'd leave Jones on Riewoldt, and keep Marchbank and Weitering free to do their intercept marking thing which by reckoning they are just about better than Rance at doing!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
Would you want our back-line disrupted after the last few games?

I'd leave Jones on Riewoldt, and keep Marchbank and Weitering free to do their intercept marking thing which by reckoning they are just about better than Rance at doing!

Don't forget the Plow and the Doc for intercept marking prowess!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #9
Don't forget the Plow and the Doc for intercept marking prowess!

Agreed.

I think Jones can clearly disrupt Jumping Jack, Jones has the closing speed and the leap as long as he can maintain proximity with Jack.

Posters under-rate Riewoldt, but you do that at your peril, straight line or lateral leads won't work against Jones, so I expect clever Jack to be repeat leading like a chook with his head cut off. His running patterns will look like a bowl of spaghetti by the final siren. He may even try to drag Jones way up the field to turn him back towards goal.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
Agreed.

I think Jones can clearly disrupt Jumping Jack, Jones has the closing speed and the leap as long as he can maintain proximity with Jack.

Posters under-rate Riewoldt, but you do that at your peril, straight line or lateral leads won't work against Jones, so I expect clever Jack to be repeat leading like a chook with his head cut off. His running patterns will look like a bowl of spaghetti by the final siren. He may even try to drag Jones way up the field to turn him back towards goal.

It's all about the defenders helping each other out - and the mids doing their bit defensively.

The reality is if the mids work as hard as they've done the last few weeks the back 6's job is much, much easier....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #11
For a left field suggestion what about bringing in Kerridge to go head to head with Dusty? Sam has been playing well in the NB's, and when Dusty goes forward I worry about who goes to him. Plowman is not quick, and Willo is too young for his big body. I think when we have played them in the past White has gone to Martin when resting forward.

Not sure what other changes we might make. Willo and Fisher are probably 2 who may need a rest. Willo only played 50% game time and didn't do too much last week, and Fisher is a terrier with his chasing but he hasn't hit the scoreboard or been an offensive threat. Both might benefit from time back in NB's, but they are both coming along nicely and showing some good signs. Maybe it's time to give Fish a spell and give Pickett another run??

The sooner we bring in H the better - the wide open spaces of the G will suit him and I would to see give him a block of 5-10 games to prepare him for 2018.

Reply #12
If Casboult plays (and there is no reason to assume that he won't) and if Rance plays on him, then we need Casboult to do what Carey used to do to us. Lead away from the play, act as a decoy and the lads need to keep the ball away from him.

Keeping Rance away from the drop of the ball isn't going to be easy but if we manage that I think it gives the rest of our forwards the best chance of kicking a winning score.

Richmond can be kept to low scores and have been kept to about 76 or below in all of their losses this year. We just have to make sure they don't get a big start like the Kangas did. If we keep it tight we can win this game.

Their midfield is extremely dangerous though and we need to match them in the contested possession.
Pretty simple, kick the ball to where Rance aint.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #13

I agree, but I don't think it is that simple. In the split second you get to look for a lead, I am not sure you also then have the time to kick away from Rance. Which is why it would be good to know that Levi is leading Rance away from the hot spots and allow us to just honor other leads or hit the hot spots.

Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #14

Or kick it on his head and let Casboult do the rest, not unlike May early on last week!
The Force Awakens!