Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 22: Pre Game Peril: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 15354 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 22: Pre Game Peril: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #60
We're not making finals, the game is of little importance to the Club.......why drop Armfield & deny him a final home game in Melbourne?

Pretty ordinary call by the MC imo.......

x3...Unless Armfield didnt want to play then, I would have left him in...would have thought.. Palmer deserved a game as well given he has been good in the NB's..and played Jaksch too.

Reply #61
You have a bug up your butt about something. We get it.

1. Senior players playing well need to be playing to instructions....and need to be doing so for an extended amount of time. Without knowing the instructions, or the criteria put on them, you can't say they were overlooked.

2. You don't know, but you take a pot shot anyway.

3. Some people were upset about Fish and/or Houlihan, doesn't mean everyone was, nor does that have anything to do with whats happening now.

Leave my butt out of this, and any bugs therein.

No, I can't say the senior players were overlooked. What I can do is compare a statement made by the coach with match reports from other forum members.

The Fisher/Houihan/Army comparison is perfectly valid.

Reply #62
We have no idea why any decisions about why these guys got games or didn't get games were made.

Trying to find links between these guys getting games or not getting games is futile.

Each circumstance was/is different and the only thing they all have in common is that their respective afl careers were ending.

Armfield could play vfl this week but that doesn't mean he was in line for an afl game.  It also doesn't prove he wasn't in line either.

You would have to ask Dennis for sure but I can tell you just because someone can get up for a VFL game doesn't mean they feel good about playing in the seniors.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #63
If folks had the facts and genuine knowledge about the footy club, there would be no need for them to be on here.

If we all knew the facts, this site would be 3 pages long. Speculating, second guessing, theorizing, surmising, is precisely why this site exists, and accounts for almost all its content.

Reply #64
If folks had the facts and genuine knowledge about the footy club, there would be no need for them to be on here.

If we all knew the facts, this site would be 3 pages long. Speculating, second guessing, theorizing, surmising, is precisely why this site exists, and accounts for almost all its content.
Never let the truth get in the road of a good story!  ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #65
Armfield himself has stated in the past he struggled week to week to get himself right for the games, things won't have gotten any better a year later.

It's one thing to get yourself across the line to start at VFL level, and a whole other thing to get yourself right just to be competitive at AFL level.

PS; Is Casey Byrne a potential trade option, could Casey also be calling it quits? Just thinking out loud!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #66
Given that Paddy is like a brother to him, I can't see why.  We have also extended his contract.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #67
Armfield himself has stated in the past he struggled week to week to get himself right for the games, things won't have gotten any better a year later.

It's one thing to get yourself across the line to start at VFL level, and a whole other thing to get yourself right just to be competitive at AFL level.

That's all fine.

Im my view, the club should have a farewell policy in place, that may take into consideration form, injury, years of service, farewell games etc. They should publish this on the website as a document that fans and members can refer to.

Additionally, what's wrong with a short 30 second video, also published on CFC, from the retiring player himself ? Nothing flash, just a thanks to the club and fans, and any other explanations etc. as may be required e.g, if they decline to participate in a farewell game. Not all fans can attend games, especially farewell games.

Army has played 144 games for us. He deserves better than punters second guessing whether a game a few weeks ago was his last in Melbourne, or giving him a farewell game in front of a hostile WCE crowd, even if his family is there. Can't the club fly a few of them to Melbourne ?

Those things are signs of a changing, improving culture. Those things are small signs of a club trying to evolve, and really set some sort of a standard.

Reply #68
That's all fine.

Im my view, the club should have a farewell policy in place, that may take into consideration form, injury, years of service, farewell games etc. They should publish this on the website as a document that fans and members can refer to.

Additionally, what's wrong with a short 30 second video, also published on CFC, from the retiring player himself ? Nothing flash, just a thanks to the club and fans, and any other explanations etc. as may be required e.g, if they decline to participate in a farewell game. Not all fans can attend games, especially farewell games.

Army has played 144 games for us. He deserves better than punters second guessing whether a game a few weeks ago was his last in Melbourne, or giving him a farewell game in front of a hostile WCE crowd, even if his family is there. Can't the club fly a few of them to Melbourne ?

Those things are signs of a changing, improving culture. Those things are small signs of a club trying to evolve, and really set some sort of a standard.
Perhaps Army wanted his farewell game in WA last week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #70
That's all fine.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-08-08/armfield-calls-time

He sent out an email to members thanking everyone.

I think there has been more from/about him than most of the boys get.

You want to throw him a parade as well?

Reply #72
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-08-08/armfield-calls-time

He sent out an email to members thanking everyone.

I think there has been more from/about him than most of the boys get.

You want to throw him a parade as well?

Army's email is similar to those Walks and Jamo sent ... and I think the club facilitating that is all that needs to be done for retiring servants of the club.  Army's retirement announcement video was posted on the website and he was also mic'd up after (I think) his retirement announcement.

While it is important to acknowledge individual contributions, that shouldn't detract from our primary objectives.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #73
Army's email is similar to those Walks and Jamo sent ... and I think the club facilitating that is all that needs to be done for retiring servants of the club.  Army's retirement announcement video was posted on the website and he was also mic'd up after (I think) his retirement announcement.

While it is important to acknowledge individual contributions, that shouldn't detract from our primary objectives.

Yes, I stand corrected. His letter and the clip addressing the players is on the cfc website. I did a search for Armfield, and it's all there.

Thanks for that.

Reply #74
And I should add, well done cfc.

Whilst I can appreciate the vagaries of injuries etc., I think the process could be improved by giving some advance notice of his final game, but that's a very good start.