Skip to main content
Topic: Umpire Critisism - Yes or No? (Read 7366 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Umpire Critisism - Yes or No?

Reply #15
No room for personality in footy because we are far too judgemental about them.

I'm not sure I entirely agree Thry; personality is good as long as it strong, thoughtful, independent and wise.  There's no room for sycophants or tossers.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
Not your standard footy forum fare I suppose.................

You need to get back in the gutter with the rest of us Paul...we need more AFLX sucks posts and less of
the Ernest Hemingway wartime romantic offerings..... ;) :)..this a fair dinkum football site, cant have posters trying to be
philosophical smartar$es... ;D

Reply #17
I think you are blaming Alex Ferguson for the way refs are treated at lower levels right Jeza?
I disagree completely. Fergie was a tosser, but you can bet he was a tosser at Aberdeen as well.
Wenger was just as bad at Fergie (and still is). Mourinho also.

But it has been happening at lower leagues for a long time and saying it filtered down from Alex Feguson I think isn't accurate.

In soccer the rules have always been different and you can come out still now and say that you think the referee got the decision wrong, but you can't have a go at their integrity.

But.. you can certainly come out and say.. No, that wasn't a penalty. It was clear to us that it wasn't a penalty and there is no fine for that

You're right it's unfair to blame 1 bloke for all of that.

I guess the main point here is that he presented the administrators the perfect chance to make a stand and they bent over. It's not going to change if the administrators don't want it to or lack the required courage.

Rugby Union refs are the best. One word of cheek and you're penalised or off. Quite common for them to say to a disrespectful player - what do you think this is soccer?

Reply #18
You need to get back in the gutter with the rest of us Paul...we need more AFLX sucks posts and less of
the Ernest Hemingway wartime romantic offerings..... ;) :)..this a fair dinkum football site, cant have posters trying to be
philosophical smartar$es... ;D

Yes, and here's me thinking that being an irritating, insufferable, pompous twerp is just what the forum needed.

Silly Paully.

Reply #19
I'm not sure I entirely agree Thry; personality is good as long as it strong, thoughtful, independent and wise.  There's no room for sycophants or tossers.

So they can have a personality so long as it passes what you deem to be acceptable??

Basically no room for personality.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #20
So they can have a personality so long as it passes what you deem to be acceptable??

Yes, I’d like everyone to conform to the standards I set ????

Of course, many folk can’t or won’t but that doesn’t mean that I have to accept it.  I may tolerate marginal departures but not tossers and sycophants ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21

Only if "personality" a code word for abuse?

If you become abusive, subversive or derogatory then you open yourself up to being judged because by your own actions you have already judged someone.

Some people are accustomed or accepting of abuse, possibly because it was the only form of feedback or criticism they were exposed to when growing up, so they think it's normal. It's like those friends everyone has that cannot help but shout whenever they are involved in a debate. They think raising a voice makes a point a winner!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Anyone with personality cops it.  These days you have to pay them lip service.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson