Skip to main content
Topic: JLT Series - 5 days away (Read 10252 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT Series - 5 days away

Reply #30
Well, it does seem Bolts will pick on form so good luck to all the players, Daisy included!

Clearly, there is healthy competition for a lot of spots this year, even amongst the key forwards eg Charlie (a given), Levi, Kerr and Harry.

Can Charlie, Harry and Levi all play in the forward line?

Given Charlie's mobility and flexibiity he's essentially a giant ruck rover (think Kouta) and can play small (ish) for a high marking tall.

Essndon plat three tall in the forward half and they are the third highest scoring team in 2017 - with an AVERAGE MIDFIELD.

Havng three legitmate marking targets will surely make life easier for each of the three forwards as defenders can't focus on one solely....

It ain't rocket science!

Charlie / Harry / Levi can absolutely work. Especially if that means Curnow can spend more time up the ground to help us transition out of defense without robbing us of forward targets - and SOSOS can improve his marking.

Midfield of Kruezer, Cripps, Kennedy and Dow has got a completely different feel to what we ran with last year. Can't see us being second last again in clearances.

Murphy and Fisher on the wings.

My big hope for the year is that we keep Murphy away from any stoppage. You can't cover a guy who can't tackle - which our clearance numbers proved week in week out last year.

Reply #31
I see that The Aints are angling to have the JLT game moved based on "Poor Lighting!

I don't understand why we play night games at our ground without proper lights. The QEO in Bendigo has better lights.

Are the AFL serious about women's footy or not.

Reply #32
I think we are highly unlikely to field a team with SoJ, Charlie, Cripps, McKay, Casboult, Kreuzer, Jones, Marchbank and Weitering.

One or two of them won't be making the cut, as a group there are too many slow players.

Further to that, we have Phillips, Rowe and Lobbe on the sidelines with De Koning and Kerr making up senior list numbers.

If we add O'Shea and Macreadie to the list of KPP options, they are over 193cm, it's quite hard to see a balanced list taking the field with any more than 8 or 9 of the slower tall players.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33
I don't understand why we play night games at our ground without proper lights. The QEO in Bendigo has better lights.

I was talking about the JLT not the AFLW.

I don't think QEO has better lights, I've been to two night games there and it's about the same and our home.

The main complaints were coming from people sitting behind tinted glass, the media didn't complain, the players didn't complain.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
I think the correlation between height and success as a footballer is hugely overstated.

The last 2 premierships were won by teams who seriously lacked height.

True, and Polson is 10cm taller than Caleb Daniel.  It's fairly clear from what I've read that Polson is very together between the ears. 

I really do hope that he can put it all together and become a regular.  But then I thought the same about Nick Graham and it might be a case of once bitten, twice shy......
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #35
I think we are highly unlikely to field a team with SoJ, Charlie, Cripps, McKay, Casboult, Kreuzer, Jones, Marchbank and Weitering.

One or two of them won't be making the cut, as a group there are too many slow players.

Further to that, we have Phillips, Rowe and Lobbe on the sidelines with De Koning and Kerr making up senior list numbers.

If we add O'Shea and Macreadie to the list of KPP options, they are over 193cm, it's quite hard to see a balanced list taking the field with any more than 8 or 9 of the slower tall players.

I would say Jones, Charlie, Macreadie and Marchbank are as quick as any KPP tall types in the comp. On Marchbank:

"He's also not overly quick off the mark, but counters that by being able to read the play well and get ahead, in front or around opponents. "

Special K is a ruckman, Weitering and SoJ have excellent anticipation and footy smarts...it's not all about leg speed.

Cripps too has gotten quicker since he started.

Just because it happened to work for the Tiges and the Dogs, doesn't mean it's the only 'model' that works....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #36
Further on Marchbank:

He's versatile. Marchbank played much of his junior career as a wingman, including the under-16 championships, but grew a bit and became a mobile defender.

That's where he played his best footy for Vic Country, although he did push forward at times to mark well on the lead and read the ball nicely in the air.

Because of his size (193cm/85kg) and ability to move across the ground, some clubs view him as a tall midfielder at the next level. With his ball handling, smarts and strong marking, you can't pigeonhole Marchbank into one spot.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-02/meet-caleb-marchbank
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #37

Don't know about better, but far too similar. It is eerie watching night footy at QEO. We should be able to do better. And we need to.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #38
I was talking about the JLT not the AFLW.

I don't think QEO has better lights, I've been to two night games there and it's about the same and our home.

The main complaints were coming from people sitting behind tinted glass, the media didn't complain, the players didn't complain.

Debatable. Not good enough for broadcast matches - JLT / AFLW.

Reply #39
True, and Polson is 10cm taller than Caleb Daniel.  It's fairly clear from what I've read that Polson is very together between the ears. 

I really do hope that he can put it all together and become a regular.  But then I thought the same about Nick Graham and it might be a case of once bitten, twice shy......

Graham?

Am I missing something here. He keeps being compared to really slow players. Are we talking about the same guy?

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2016-11-25/cameron-polson-highlights-pick-59

Reply #40
1 minute mark of the highlights video:
http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2017/5/port-v-carl

The guy that is compared to McLean, Graham and Wright and is definitely not quick? Anyway - good luck to him. Hope he gets a game next Weds.

Reply #41
1 minute mark of the highlights video:
http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2017/5/port-v-carl

The guy that is compared to McLean, Graham and Wright and is definitely not quick? Anyway - good luck to him. Hope he gets a game next Weds.
Agree, I like Polson, he isnt slow like those mentioned above. Gee we got pantsed that night, PA were plucking them out of their asses at will.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #42
Agree, I like Polson, he isnt slow like those mentioned above. Gee we got pantsed that night, PA were plucking them out of their asses at will.

Yep... thankfully his tackle was in the 1st quarter so I only had to watch 1 minute.
Port did their flat track bully thing. Really owe the AFL one for putting that as our only Friday night game.

Reply #43
Yep... thankfully his tackle was in the 1st quarter so I only had to watch 1 minute.
Port did their flat track bully thing. Really owe the AFL one for putting that as our only Friday night game.

Did we really deserve any Friday night games?
If I was a broadcaster I would not have been keen having Carlton in my prime time slot
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #44
Forget Lang.

Hes suffering with an ankle and he wont be cherry ripe this year.

Paddy Dow is going to be a jet and Zac Fisher is the other key to our midfield this season.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson