Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW trade/poaching period begins (Read 10954 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW trade/poaching period begins

Reply #30
North have done Collingwood a favour here.  Mo hope has been the most overrated footballer since Shane wowoeful.

Her first season she was coming back from an injury...and i think got injured during the season.

Her second season she lost heaps of weight which may have had a negative effect on her in terms of one on one stuff.

I reckon the Pies will be filthy losing the 'female' face of the club and doubley so when she finds form for the kangas.

Reply #31
So we get the raw end of the wedge again, obviously we've been in AFLW TPP violation!

SELECTION ORDER FOR 2018 NAB AFL WOMEN'S DRAFT:

ROUND ONE
1 Geelong Cats (compensation pick)
2 Geelong Cats (compensation pick)

3 Carlton
4 Fremantle
5 Collingwood
6 Adelaide
7 GWS Giants
8 Melbourne
9 Brisbane Lions
10 Western Bulldogs
11 Geelong Cats
12 North Melbourne

ROUND TWO
13 Collingwood (compensation pick)
14 Geelong Cats (compensation pick)
15 Geelong Cats (compensation pick)

16 Carlton
17 Fremantle
18 Collingwood
19 Adelaide
20 GWS Giants
21 Melbourne
22 Brisbane Lions
23 Western Bulldogs
24 Geelong Cats
25 North Melbourne

ROUND THREE
26 Western Bulldogs (compensation pick)
27 Carlton
28 Fremantle
29 Collingwood
30 Adelaide
31 GWS Giants
32 Melbourne
33 Brisbane Lions
34 Western Bulldogs
35 Geelong Cats
36 North Melbourne

ROUND FOUR
37 Melbourne (compensation pick)
38 Carlton
39 Fremantle
40 Collingwood
41 Adelaide
42 GWS Giants
43 Melbourne
44 Brisbane Lions
45 Western Bulldogs
46 Geelong Cats
47 North Melbourne

ROUND FIVE
48 Carlton (compensation pick)
49 Carlton
50 Fremantle
51 Collingwood
52 Adelaide
53 GWS Giants
54 Melbourne
55 Brisbane Lions
56 Western Bulldogs
57 Geelong Cats
58 North Melbourne
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Does anyone know WHY Geelong are getting those compensation picks?

New team and all, sure, but why don't North get the same?

I do like how they offered us pick 48 as compensation for losing Hardiman and KGJ...hardly going to replace them with one pick.  :-\

Reply #34
Does anyone know WHY Geelong are getting those compensation picks?

New team and all, sure, but why don't North get the same?

I do like how they offered us pick 48 as compensation for losing Hardiman and KGJ...hardly going to replace them with one pick.  :-\

According to Daniel Cherny in the Age, North missed out on compensation picks because they have already recruited 17 players including Emma Kearney and Moana Hope.  It seems that North have gone for established players while Geelong will rely on the draft to build their list.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #35
Was unaware this was underway, but here is some important info....

Key AFLW dates

May 4                         Expansion Clubs presented their list strategies to the AFL

May 11-21                  Expansion signing period commences / closes

May 22                       2018 NAB AFLW Draft order set

May 23 - June 4         Sign & Trade period commences / closes

June 4 - 7                   Free agency period commences / closes

June 8                        Preliminary List Lodgement

I more day to go in the sign/trade period which is the same day FA opens.

Currently we've done OK i think, although we might be losing yet another defender with Maddie Gay wanting out to the Dees.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-31/aflw-threeway-trade-stalemate-looms
A THREE-WAY stalemate is looming between Melbourne, Carlton and Collingwood as the NAB AFL Women’s trade deadline approaches.

Former netballer Maddison Gay has informed Carlton that she wishes to join Melbourne for the third season of the competition. 

It comes as Collingwood's Amelia Barden intends to depart the Holden Centre to follow former Pies assistant Daniel Harford, who was recently appointed Blues coach.

A three-way trade between the clubs – Collingwood would receive draft picks – has been one suggestion to break the deadlock, with the AFL now believed to be involved in the process.

Losing Hardiman and Gillespie-Jones already leaves a hole, but Bri Davey back basically fills it back up. Losing Maddie Gay on top of that could be 1 player too many to cover the loss of.

Although this is encouraging somewhat if it happens....
Barden played every match for Collingwood in the first two seasons of the competition and was described as a "wrecking ball" by the club in her debut season. 

Reply #36
Sounds like at the close there was no deal done between Carlton, Collingwood and Melbourne on Maddison Gay and Amelia Barden.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
Sounds like at the close there was no deal done between Carlton, Collingwood and Melbourne on Maddison Gay and Amelia Barden.

Nope.

Maddie Gay is now a melbourne player.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2018-06-04/gay-radan-join-melbourne

No actual mention of how the deal got done though.

Reply #38
Nope.

Maddie Gay is now a melbourne player.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2018-06-04/gay-radan-join-melbourne

No actual mention of how the deal got done though.

Weird the AFL/AFLW website said no further trades were completed at 5pm today and listed all the signings, yet that article you list came out at midday!

The club has issued this at 5pm, http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-06-04/blues-sign-barden-lose-gay
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
Weird the AFL/AFLW website said no further trades were completed at 5pm today and listed all the signings, yet that article you list came out at midday!

I actually went searching for info over the past hour.

There is a headline on the AFLW section with talk of a mega 5-way trade to end the trade period.
Clicking on the link takes you to a different story though.

So i searched google and found melbourne tweet, so went to their homepage and thats the link you see.
Nothing on AFL website (apart from dead link)
Nothing on our website.

Very hard to find info.

Reply #40
From that link, that wasn't there 10 minutes ago, despite the timestamp on it saying 5:04pm...
The Club also wishes to thank Madeline Keryk, Laura Attard, Kate Shierlaw and Sarah Last for their contributions to the AFLW program, having been delisted from the primary list today.

Carlton now currently holds picks Nos. 3, 16, 21, 27, 38, 40, 48 and 49 in this year’s NAB AFL Women’s National Draft, the equivalent of Victorian picks Nos. 3, 12, 14, 19, 26, 27, 32, 33.

Don't think we've lost anything there.
Keryk was brilliant in her first season. Pathetic last year.
Ditto Attard.
Shierlaw showed promise, but lacked improvement
Last was just making up the numbers.

Reply #41
From that link, that wasn't there 10 minutes ago, despite the timestamp on it saying 5:04pm...
Ditto Attard.

Yes, Shierlaw was a little disappointing, showed a lot of promise with plenty of athleticism but turned out to be a tap ruck and not much else. I had expected her to have far more influence around the ground than she showed!

In the women's game winning the tap is even less valuable than the men's, primarily because the girls hardly ever find truly clean possessions. You just don't find the girl's doing a Judd style breakaway, there isn't that differential in strength and speed in the midfield that you find as a differential in the men's competition. To me it's a big reason why the girls should not be coached in men's style game plans and tactics, and that AFL fans should not expect to go to AFLW and see the female equivalent!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
Ditto Attard.
Disappointing, but we had to make changes after last season. That was a disaster.
I'm really disappointed to lose Maddie Gay. She looked good. Not sure about Barden: I have seen her in action, but I don't remember her as an opponent.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #43
Disappointing, but we had to make changes after last season. That was a disaster.
I'm really disappointed to lose Maddie Gay. She looked good. Not sure about Barden: I have seen her in action, but I don't remember her as an opponent.

Either do I, but i searched google images to remind me who she was and a lot of photos had 2 players attempting to take her down, so the 'wrecking ball' description seems apt.

I think we needed a bigger bodied, more aggressive mid in the lineup, so its a good get in that regard.

Reply #44
I've heard Vescio might be moving into more of an on-ball role for the coming season!
The Force Awakens!