Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Rd 7: Northern Blues vs Box Hill Hawks (Read 6093 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 VFL Rd 7: Northern Blues vs Box Hill Hawks

Reply #15
Lost 96-58, never in it.  Good news Williamson got through his scheduled 3/4s, had 10 possession first quarter and was our equal second best possession winner (with Weitering) for those 3 quarters behind only the 100-game skipper Tom Wilson with 24.  Cuningham went better as the game went on and influential in the last.

Waiting on stats.

Thanks for the report IH. Bummer about that result.

Reply #16
Result only to be expected given the respective squads.  Wilson finished with 31 touches, Cuningham 24 Weitering 17.  No multiple goalkickers.

Reply #17
DISPOSALS: Wilson 31, Cuningham 24, Penrith 17, Schumacher 17, Weitering 17, Strachan 15.
Very difficult to get any information about this game or the VFLW game beforehand (which we also lost). Not something I am enjoying.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18
DISPOSALS: Wilson 31, Cuningham 24, Penrith 17, Schumacher 17, Weitering 17, Strachan 15.

#Northbound #PJVFL #Willo100

Reply #19
Very difficult to get any information about this game or the VFLW game beforehand (which we also lost). Not something I am enjoying.

Might be a blessing in disguise Stephen.

Reply #20
Towards the end of the North game they talked about North having their own VFL side.
Development becomes the main focus rather than winning in this situation...not that we're winning a lot at VFL level...but we need this too.
I know we do it to a large extent but there shouldn't be any grey area.
Our sole focus needs to be on what's best for the Carlton AFL team.

Reply #21
yes, his ankle.

i think he did it Rd 1 vs the Tigers (you will recall we lost him in Q2, after he did it in Q1 then Special K went down too) and it's never been allowed to fully heal....

Now he's reinjured it playing with NB's.
Bugger me. Get the injury management right already  :(
Must be very frustrating for young Bam Bam.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #22
Now he's reinjured it playing with NB's.
Bugger me. Get the injury management right already  :(
Must be very frustrating for young Bam Bam.

I think the question is whether it was ever right - was he really fit Rd 1 before the 'injury' and was he given sufficien time post Rd 1 to get fully healed and fit....i'd say no to both....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #23
Watching the first half yesterday, it really was a case of skinny kids against seasoned hard bodied men. NBs is definitely a development area, getting the kids battlehardened.

Reply #24
Might be a blessing in disguise Stephen.
Perhaps.

Northern Blues

B: 7. M. Blakey, 43. J. Glass-McCasker, 49. A. Schumacher
HB: 51. A. Mullett, 18. J. Weitering, 8. T. Williamson
C: 31. J.  Lamb, 1. T.  Wilson, 45. M.  Shaw
HF: 3. J. Palmer, 30. P. Kerr, 2. C. Polson
F: 26. J. Silvagni, 36. M. Lobbe, 46. M. Wright
R: 34. A. Phillips, 48. D. Cuningham, 32. N. Graham
Int: 9. S. Fisher, 29. J. Hill, 10. J. Johnston, 25. K. Keppel, 22. C. McCabe, 12. B. Myers, 24. F. Pearce, 57. E. Penrith, 6. G. Strachan, 16. J. Velissaris, 55. J. Williams

23P: 11. A. Federico

Of the 15 Carlton players named in this side, 5 of them played senior football. One was kept out as an Emergency. One played half a game only due to management. That leaves 8 Carlton listed players.
Of those Silvagni and Weitering played reasonably well (according to the club website). Cuningham is considered a potential senior footballer. He was also in the best. Phillips kicked 2 goals and was also among our best. Polson also shows that he may just have a future.
Of these 5 players Phillips is the only one with a mature body. The other 4 are kids.

We got not much out of our bigger named recruits this week. Josh Hill continues to fire blanks. I am very disappointed in him and his distinct lack of leadership.
Tom Wilson, on the other hand, continues to show the sort of grit and determination that we need much more of.

Lobbe continues to underwhelm. I hope his off field work is good, as he hasn't delivered much yet. Yes, I do know he started the year with injuries. So far his half against Frankston has been his only claim to fame and even in that he did not win many ruck taps.

Box Hill Hawks   5.1-31   8.5-53   11.10-76   14.12-96
Northern Blues   1.2-8   2.4-16   3.6-24   8.10-58

We were competitive after half time, but the damage had been done.

NORTHERN BLUES
Goal Kickers: J. Silvagni, C. McCabe, M. Lobbe, S. Fisher, A. Federico, D. Cuningham, J. Palmer, A. Phillips
Best Players: A. Phillips, D. Cuningham, T. Wilson, C. Polson, J. Weitering, J. Silvagni

In the paper this morning Phillips is down as having kicked 2, as is Silvagni. I cannot comment on that.

BOX HILL HAWKS
Goal Kickers: R. Schoenmakers 3, B. Whitecross 2, A. Brolic 2, K. Lovell, O. Hanrahan, J. Ceglar, V. Adduci, W. Murphy, W. Hams, A. Moore
Best Players: A. Moore, J. Ceglar, K. Lovell, W. Hams, B. Whitecross, R. Schoenmakers

Yes, Box Hill had a lot more seasoned bodies than we did. I note with interest that Ceglar was named as one of Box Hill's best. Considering that Phillips was our best, then that must have been an interesting battle. I do rate Ceglar: his ability in the ruck helped Hawthorn win premierships. McEvoy was very much behind him.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #25
Perhaps.

Northern Blues

B: 7. M. Blakey, 43. J. Glass-McCasker, 49. A. Schumacher
HB: 51. A. Mullett, 18. J. Weitering, 8. T. Williamson
C: 31. J.  Lamb, 1. T.  Wilson, 45. M.  Shaw
HF: 3. J. Palmer, 30. P. Kerr, 2. C. Polson
F: 26. J. Silvagni, 36. M. Lobbe, 46. M. Wright
R: 34. A. Phillips, 48. D. Cuningham, 32. N. Graham
Int: 9. S. Fisher, 29. J. Hill, 10. J. Johnston, 25. K. Keppel, 22. C. McCabe, 12. B. Myers, 24. F. Pearce, 57. E. Penrith, 6. G. Strachan, 16. J. Velissaris, 55. J. Williams

23P: 11. A. Federico

Of the 15 Carlton players named in this side, 5 of them played senior football. One was kept out as an Emergency. One played half a game only due to management. That leaves 8 Carlton listed players.
Of those Silvagni and Weitering played reasonably well (according to the club website). Cuningham is considered a potential senior footballer. He was also in the best. Phillips kicked 2 goals and was also among our best. Polson also shows that he may just have a future.
Of these 5 players Phillips is the only one with a mature body. The other 4 are kids.

We got not much out of our bigger named recruits this week. Josh Hill continues to fire blanks. I am very disappointed in him and his distinct lack of leadership.
Tom Wilson, on the other hand, continues to show the sort of grit and determination that we need much more of.

Lobbe continues to underwhelm. I hope his off field work is good, as he hasn't delivered much yet. Yes, I do know he started the year with injuries. So far his half against Frankston has been his only claim to fame and even in that he did not win many ruck taps.

Box Hill Hawks   5.1-31   8.5-53   11.10-76   14.12-96
Northern Blues   1.2-8   2.4-16   3.6-24   8.10-58

We were competitive after half time, but the damage had been done.

NORTHERN BLUES
Goal Kickers: J. Silvagni, C. McCabe, M. Lobbe, S. Fisher, A. Federico, D. Cuningham, J. Palmer, A. Phillips
Best Players: A. Phillips, D. Cuningham, T. Wilson, C. Polson, J. Weitering, J. Silvagni

In the paper this morning Phillips is down as having kicked 2, as is Silvagni. I cannot comment on that.

BOX HILL HAWKS
Goal Kickers: R. Schoenmakers 3, B. Whitecross 2, A. Brolic 2, K. Lovell, O. Hanrahan, J. Ceglar, V. Adduci, W. Murphy, W. Hams, A. Moore
Best Players: A. Moore, J. Ceglar, K. Lovell, W. Hams, B. Whitecross, R. Schoenmakers

Yes, Box Hill had a lot more seasoned bodies than we did. I note with interest that Ceglar was named as one of Box Hill's best. Considering that Phillips was our best, then that must have been an interesting battle. I do rate Ceglar: his ability in the ruck helped Hawthorn win premierships. McEvoy was very much behind him.

Lobbe and Phillips are probably similar types of player and would possibly be stealing each others thunder somewhat.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #26

This gives us a very interesting image of the game.

[1] Our rucks got a lot more taps, but Ceglar had more possessions than anyone else on the ground. Does this remind you somewhat of Kreuzer against Essendon? It does me.
I rate Ceglar. He was really important in Hawthorn's better periods and is quite underrated.

[2] Schoenmakers had 10 possessions (granted that 3 were goals), while Weitering had 10 marks (and 17 possessions). Which of these deserves to mentioned in the best players? Schoenmakers was.

[3] They had 4 of the top 5 possession winners. Tom Wilson was the only Blue to make that list, although Cuningham was 6th.

[4] We had 4 of the bottom 5 possession winners. And they were not necessarily our worst players.

[5] We were pounded in the midfield. Really pounded.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #27
Phillips get BOG with only 6 possessions?

Looks like he played a lot forward as he kicked 1.1 from those 6 possessions, but still....BOG?

Reply #28
Phillips get BOG with only 6 possessions?

Looks like he played a lot forward as he kicked 1.1 from those 6 possessions, but still....BOG?

He's a better player than many give him credit for. And you don't always need high possession numbers to play well. It must also be said, that the competition for BOG in the 2's would not exactly be fierce. Much err............. like the 1's.

Reply #29
He's a better player than many give him credit for. And you don't always need high possession numbers to play well. It must also be said, that the competition for BOG in the 2's would not exactly be fierce. Much err............. like the 1's.

I'm a wrap for Phillips and was the first one to suggest we keep Kreuzer on the sidelines recovering and let Phillips do his thing.

But 6 possessions shouldn't get you BOG no matter what level of game you are playing.
Considering Lobbe had more hitouts than him, and Ceglar got the most points on the ground, i don't think he had a dominant game in the ruck.

So...