Skip to main content
Topic: Robin Williams Dead (Read 6423 times) previous topic - next topic

Robin Williams Dead

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/08/11/robin-williams-dead-at-63/

Oscar winner and comedian Robin Williams died this morning at 63. While his publicist wouldn’t confirm that it was a suicide, they did issue this statement. “Robin Williams passed away this morning. He has been battling severe depression of late. This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time.”
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Re: Robin Williams Dead

Reply #1
Found this fairly shocking. RIP

Reply #2
Really sad news to be honest. Loved his work & if anyone hasn't had the chance to have a look at it, his most recent work - the TV series 'The Crazy Ones', was quite brilliant. Damn, really sad news......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #3
This one affects me more than most.  In part, I think it's because he was still productive - the same with James Gandolfini.  Sad news.

Reply #4
Wow remember him all the way back to Mork and Mindy. Nanoo nanoo. RIP.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #5
RIP.  Robin Williams.  That Stand up Routine about Golf was Comic genius. If anyone gets a chance go onto youtube to see it.  

NB:  Don't know how to put links up on this thing

Reply #6
It's probably a measure of the bloke that my facebook has a lot of my friends and family paying tribute to his talent...... and they represent such a wide variety of ages and different interests.

It just shows how widespread his appeal was.
RIP

Reply #7
There was a bit of a generational divide, though, Lods.  Not sure he was so popular with gen y and z.  Of course, that doesn't mean he didn't have some younger fans, but I think he was much more popular with those around his age.

Reply #8
Shazbut !!!

He's always been such an intense & tightly wrapped person that it looked like he was incapable of relaxing.

Some comics are very loose & easy going on stage but in their personal life fight a lot of internal demons (complete opposite to their public persona) and it is this yin & yang that makes them such a talented performer.

Sad that he has taken his life in this manner though, still very young.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #9
Very sad news indeed. He was a very talented and very funny man who's passing is a massive loss.
RIP.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #10
It's really funny how people have reacted to this sad news.

It seems that he's been woven into the lives of most over the age of 35, through Mork & Mindy, into his movie work, stand up movies and back to TV. He's been someone that most people enjoy watching.

Still love him in Birdcage the most. It was so against the grain not to have him as the flamboyant one, the chemistry with Nathan Lane and Hank Azaria is still one of the best combination of actors ever.

Can't say I'll miss him but he will be greatly remembered.  :'(

Reply #11
Genius entertainer. My older daughter's godfather is (was!) a close friend of Robin and described him away from the spotlight as a highly sensitive, deep thinking and incredibly intelligent person.

As others have noted, his talents and affections are woven into the lives of so many over so many decades. will be hugely missed.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #12
There was a bit of a generational divide, though, Lods.  Not sure he was so popular with gen y and z.  Of course, that doesn't mean he didn't have some younger fans, but I think he was much more popular with those around his age.

That's the funny thing though Mav....I've got 18-20 year old nieces and nephews upset by the news.
His movies have a good run on the tele so these kids do know his work and enjoy it.

Reply #13
He seemed like a really genuine guy. He was outstanding in all of his roles and will be greatly remembered.

So tragic that he resorted to taking his own life (not confirmed COD but highly suspected). Just shows that no-one is out of depressions reach. I think depression and mental illness can be added to the list of things which have no mercy.
Why did the Carlton FC fall? So they could learn to pick themselves up.

Reply #14
I should have limited my comment to his comedy rather than his film roles.  Not sure his stand-up, including his stand-up-like appearances as a guest on talk shows) appealed as much to a younger audience.  But he did act in a number of family films and take on a number of voice roles in animated films which would have built a fan-base amongst younger people: Jumanji, Mrs Doubtfire, Night at the Museum, Happy Feet, Aladdin, Robots and others.  Some of his film roles gave him the chance to improvise (e.g. Good Morning Vietnam) but others would have required him to stick to scripts.