Skip to main content
Topic: Leaders; Bolton's view (Read 9884 times) previous topic - next topic

Leaders; Bolton's view

In discussing the steps to be taken to ensure Charlie Curnow doesn't stuff up, Brendon Bolton had this to say:

"The thing is, we have got some good leaders here ... Marc Murphy, Bryce Gibbs, Simmo (Kade Simpson); he's going to be able to learn from those boys as well. It is going to be ongoing education.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-draft-2015-carlton-recruit-charlie-curnow-to-learn-from-his-blue-20151124-gl77c1.html#ixzz3sbNb1M9p

I reckon Bolton is a good judge but I suspect some folk won't agree with him  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Leaders; Bolton's view

Reply #1
In discussing the steps to be taken to ensure Charlie Curnow doesn't stuff up, Brendon Bolton had this to say:

I reckon Bolton is a good judge but I suspect some folk won't agree with him  ::)

I hope he's right DJC but some of our old boys were not obviously listening to what that group had to say.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #2
Not a bad approach. These guys have been told they're no good for a decade. Anyone coming in is going to believe that meaning they are cut off at the knees before they've even started. So a nice strong endorsement from the coach right off the bat, as soon as the new blokes are in the door.

Let's see how positive BB stays through the year.

Reply #3
Let's see how positive BB stays through the year.

In that sentence hides the truth, the problems created by the past cannot just be resolved by changing the coach. If the club is serious it needs to stick fat, as it should have stuck fat back going as far back as the Brittain days.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
The dynamics of the playing group are a bit of a mystery to supporters.

In the main you get the feeling that guys like Murphy Gibbs Jamison, even Judd in his day, aren't strong leaders.
Then you look at the guys that have left the club and you wonder how much influence the leaders had in seeing them off.

I've had the feeling for some time that the playing group hasn't been  a cohesive unit but rather a group of little cliques.
I think there's been a group or two of dedicated professional players and a group who haven't really invested in the cause.

Is it poor leadership to not be able to keep the group together and on the straight and narrow?...probably
Is it poor leadership not to be able to turn troubled players around...or for some guys is that just a futile exercise and just not worth the effort.
Could it be the case that those who haven't been totally committed to the cause have been isolated...I get the feeling that's what happened with Yarran.
He couldn't wait to get out of the place.
There would be reasons for that.

With the turnover we start with a pretty clean slate.
The fringe players that have been retained are in the main players who have shown a good attitude and effort.
The players we've recruited seem to be of a similar stock.
Curnow may have made an off-field mistake 'just prior to the draft but if his on-field efforts are anything like his brothers he'll be fine.

Developing leaders is a long term strategy.
While the current and recent crop may have been lacking in some areas it's something to build on.
It's our next generation of leadership that looks to have a fair bit of potential.

Reply #5

Wasnt Kade Simpson the player who Levi Casboult was tied to on that booze cruise....?

Reply #6
Thought that was Houlahan
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #7
Thought it was Betts...

Reply #8
Wasnt Kade Simpson the player who Levi Casboult was tied to on that booze cruise....?
Scotland
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #9

If you're right Simmo could speak from experience  ;)

A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then EB  :)

I suspect that the players have sat through many sessions on drug and alcohol consumption since then too - as they should.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #10
Twas Fevola wasnt it?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #11
It was a big night ::)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/captive-carlton-rooke-and-booze-cruise-shame/story-e6frf7jo-1225813309312

Hours after the players were kicked off the boat, Eddie Betts was arrested in the city for being drunk, while Mitch Robinson was believed to have hurt his shoulder in a scuffle.

The club yesterday fined Betts $5000.

Carlton has also slapped $5000 fines on Ryan Houlihan - who organised the boat trip - and Andrew Walker after they brawled with staff at Crown's Promenade Hotel on Sunday morning.

Carlton players also made a drunken nuisance of themselves at The Fitz Cafe in Brunswick St, owned by former Carlton player Mil Hanna, before heading to swank Southbank nightclub Eve.

Reply #12
Haha wow how much worse does it seem in today's climate of political correctness.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #13
Just watching the journey latest episode. Half way through Murphy addresses the team post Geelong loss.

Jeeeeesus. How uninspiring can you get? Didn't help it followed Sticks / Parkin addressing the group.

No charisma, natural leadership, gravitas,  etc. Mumbled, chewed his words, looked uncomfortable, quiet as a church mouse.

Why are we kidding ourselves that this is a leader that will take us somewhere?

It's just wrong. So wrong. Leadership is so important... and this bloke.... bloooody he'll.

Can we finally drop this bloke and move on? Drop him as captain, player, whatever. Just move on.

Reply #14
Maclure on 360 tonight said it's time for the succession.
Said he thought Murphy would hand it over without to much angst.

Docherty or Cripps were the suggestions.