Skip to main content
Topic: Fifth Ashes Test - The Clean Sweeper ?? (Read 21563 times) previous topic - next topic

Fifth Ashes Test - The Clean Sweeper ??

Starts Friday, the Poms are in virtual tatters and we are looking at a 5-0 series win if we don't let this all go to our heads.

Team selection will be interesting, there are a couple of guys who shouldn't be in the team but a big score recently has bought them some extra time. Watson is the one who has to go IMO, should never have been selected to play Test cricket in the first place (I'll give him some credit for that one delivery in the recent Test).
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: Fifth Ashes Test - The Clean Sweeper ??

Reply #1
Starts Friday, the Poms are in virtual tatters and we are looking at a 5-0 series win if we don't let this all go to our heads.

Team selection will be interesting, there are a couple of guys who shouldn't be in the team but a big score recently has bought them some extra time. Watson is the one who has to go IMO, should never have been selected to play Test cricket in the first place (I'll give him some credit for that one delivery in the recent Test).

I think you might get your wish re Watson, they won't drop him but he'll probably be rested with that groin strain. Harris might be another to miss as well.

I reckon Warner and Smith playing that Big Bash game messed with their test form. Wasn't a fan of them playing so close to the Melbourne test.

Reply #2

Won't drop him now for a while. Made 68, 176, 51, 103 and 83no (sweet FA admittedly in the other innings though of those Tests) in 5 of his last 6 Tests. Plus he bowls.

Changes depend on injuries although I'd play Doolan ahead of Bailey. Allows Clarke to play at 5 and Smith at 6.

If Watson is injured Doolan comes in for him and hence Faulkner in for Bailey to allow for that 5th bowler. If Harris is rested the Coulter-Nile will make his debut.

Reply #3

I think you might get your wish re Watson, they won't drop him but he'll probably be rested with that groin strain. Harris might be another to miss as well.

I reckon Warner and Smith playing that Big Bash game messed with their test form. Wasn't a fan of them playing so close to the Melbourne test.

I reckon you'll have to drag Harris away kicking and screaming if he's rested, it would be a travesty if the blokes who won the series weren't there for the actual Ashes presentation at the end of this one.  Plenty of time before the SA tour......as long as he's not expected to play any mickey mouse cricket in the meantime.

And I agree with Warner & Smith.....how the hell they could be allowed to play 20/20 in the middle of a Test Series is beyond me.  It's just clown cricket......as shown by the use of flight up flashing stumps & bails (that don't even fall off when the stumps are given a decent whack !)

cheers

Mal.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #4

I reckon you'll have to drag Harris away kicking and screaming if he's rested, it would be a travesty if the blokes who won the series weren't there for the actual Ashes presentation at the end of this one.  Plenty of time before the SA tour......as long as he's not expected to play any mickey mouse cricket in the meantime.

And I agree with Warner & Smith.....how the hell they could be allowed to play 20/20 in the middle of a Test Series is beyond me.  It's just clown cricket......as shown by the use of flight up flashing stumps & bails (that don't even fall off when the stumps are given a decent whack !)

cheers

Mal.

Agree on 20/20....its who cares cricket........one player who must be thinking when its going to be my turn is Klinger from South Australia...seems to make runs in all forms of cricket but cant get close to test selection...maybe the selectors deduct points for batting on the friendly Adelaide oval...

Reply #5
Warner fails, played a nothing shot that wasn't even anywhere near the line of the ball, lost his off peg.

Time for Watson to stand up in a first innings.

Reply #6
Three slips and a gully.

Reply #7
Clarke gone, caught at second slip off Stokes, 3/78 with lunch not far away.

Reply #8
Watson trapped in front one ball before tea !!

4/94

Reply #9
This top order will seriously embarrass us in South Africa.  Same old rubbish.

Warner bowled playing down wrong line - happens a lot and aside from the odd rush of blood appears to be a technical flaw he needs to address.

Watson out in the last over before an interval, anybody else see a pattern here?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #10
Bailey simply not up to this level. See ya.

Reply #11
Bailey's Test career just ended permanently, caught at slip for not very many.

Aussies in trouble now at 5-down.

Reply #13
Watson, Warner, Smith, Haddin & Bailey are always very susceptible to an early departure. It's mind-boggling to understand how we have got to be 4-0 at times.

Reply #14
Bailey simply not up to this level. See ya.

Yep....Doolan will bat five or six in South Africa....

I'd prefer to see Watson move down to six and play like a real all rounder but then you have the problem of who bats at three I guess.