Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 9: Pre game Anticipation: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 13562 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 9: Pre game Anticipation: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #15
Marc Murphy, Pat Kerr, Jacob Weitering, Matt Shaw, Jack Silvagni

Out

Ed Curnow (Suspension)

Interchange From*
36 Pat Kerr
13 Jed Lamb
46 Matthew Wright
18 Aaron Mullett
32 Nick Graham
23 Jacob Weitering
37 Matt Shaw
1 Jack Silvagni

Reply #16

Out

Ed Curnow (Suspension)

Interchange From*
36 Pat Kerr
13 Jed Lamb
46 Matthew Wright
18 Aaron Mullett
32 Nick Graham
23 Jacob Weitering
37 Matt Shaw
1 Jack Silvagni

Would give Shaw a run for Mullett.

The 4th a raffle - no place for Kerr with Charlie and Harry up there....Jack? Maybe as a goal kicking mid?

Or keep Graham in - who'd been very serviceable...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #17
Would give Shaw a run for Mullett.

The 4th a raffle - no place for Kerr with Charlie and Harry up there....Jack? Maybe as a goal kicking mid?

Or keep Graham in - who'd been very serviceable...

Think the coach likes Mullett ....Graham probably deserves another game but I think is the most vulnerable and probably JackS the one to take his palce...

Reply #18

Out

Ed Curnow (Suspension)

Interchange From*
36 Pat Kerr
13 Jed Lamb
46 Matthew Wright
18 Aaron Mullett
32 Nick Graham
23 Jacob Weitering
37 Matt Shaw
1 Jack Silvagni

Basically I reckon In Murphy Out Ed Curnow. At a pinch, Weiters might come in for OShea.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #19
I would like to see Jack tried as a coalface mid supporting Cripps. Good chance to test him out in that role at senior level. Not sure he's got the tank yet to go the whole game in that role so would have to rotate somewhere else, say spells forward. Be a shame to drop any from last week but maybe one in addition to Ed will be unlucky?
We will miss Ed's negating talents and for this reason I think Shaw may get a gig to replace him.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #20
I would like to see Jack tried as a coalface mid supporting Cripps. Good chance to test him out in that role at senior level. Not sure he's got the tank yet to go the whole game in that role so would have to rotate somewhere else, say spells forward. Be a shame to drop any from last week but maybe one in addition to Ed will be unlucky?
We will miss Ed's negating talents and for this reason I think Shaw may get a gig to replace him.
I think Kerridge can do a similar role if need be.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #21
I think Kerridge can do a similar role if need be.

Very true GTC - I forgot about Kerridge. He could definitely take that role.
Hard to see too many changes apart from Murph then. Possibly one more?

Reply #22
Very true GTC - I forgot about Kerridge. He could definitely take that role.
Hard to see too many changes apart from Murph then. Possibly one more?
Kerridge, like Ed, is an aerobic beast. I think Ed does the role better because he can negate and win his own ball. Sam is the next best thing IMO.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #23
CARLTON

B: Lachie Plowman, Sam Rowe, Dale Thomas
HB: Cameron O'Shea, Liam Jones, Kade Simpson
C: Lochie O'Brien, Marc Murphy, Sam Kerridge
HF: Jarrod Garlett, Charlie Curnow, Darcy Lang
F: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Harry McKay, Paddy Dow
R: Matthew Kreuzer, Patrick Cripps, Zac Fisher
Int: Pat Kerr, Jed Lamb, Matthew Wright, Aaron Mullett, Nick Graham, Jacob Weitering, Matt Shaw, Jack Silvagni (Three to be omitted)

IN: Marc Murphy, Pat Kerr, Jacob Weitering, Matt Shaw, Jack Silvagni
OUT:Ed Curnow (Suspension)

NEW: Pat Kerr, Matt Shaw

I don't like that Kreuzer has no back-up against one of the best rucks going around. We were well beaten in the taps last week, even though Kreuzer put in a great effort in getting clearances and such. That really needed addressing and we haven't.

MELBOURNE
B: Michael Hibberd, Oscar McDonald, Neville Jetta
HB: Angus Brayshaw, Jake Lever, Mitch Hannan
C: Jordan Lewis, Nathan Jones, Christian Salem
HF: Clayton Oliver, Jesse Hogan, Jake Melksham
F: James Harmes, Tom McDonald, Christian Petracca
R: Max Gawn, Bernie Vince, Jack Viney
Int: Charlie Spargo, Dom Tyson, Cameron Pedersen, Jayden Hunt, Alex Neal-Bullen, Bayley Fritsch, Jeff Garlett, Timothy Smith (Three to be omitted)

IN: Jack Viney, Cameron Pedersen, Jayden Hunt, Jeff Garlett, Timothy Smith
OUT: Sam Weideman (Injured)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24
I'd like to see Shaw get a run, he's been OK for a few weeks now.

He gives us a couple of options in Ed's absence and helps with our medium/small leg speed.

Sunday is going to be wet, I can't see Kerr coming unless McKay is out.

Not sure why Wright would be listed on the bench unless he's suffering from that head knock.

It might be time to give O'Shea or Plowman a rest, Rowe has had two ordinary weeks and I'd be keen to see SoJ tag Hogan, but given Gawn presses hard forward they may keep Rowe but I think Jones and Weitering are better match ups for the Demons forward setup. Given the history you'd think Rowe wants to play this one though.

If the weather was dry I'd go tall against the Dees, they are one of the lowest marking / kicking sides but high handball so they obviously run the ball a lot. If you force them to kick and then mark the ball they won't get hold of it.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25

He gives us a couple of options in Ed's absence and helps with our medium/small leg speed.

Not sure why Wright would be listed on the bench unless he's suffering from that head knock.

It might be time to give O'Shea or Plowman a rest, Rowe has had two ordinary weeks and I'd be keen to see SoJ tag Hogan, but given Gawn presses hard forward they may keep Rowe but I think Jones and Weitering are better match ups for the Demons forward setup. Given the history you'd think Rowe wants to play this one though.

I thought he was quite good against the Bombers.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #26
SOJ would get destroyed by Hogan.

Bigger, stronger and faster!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #27

If the weather was dry I'd go tall against the Dees, they are one of the lowest marking / kicking sides but high handball so they obviously run the ball a lot. If you force them to kick and then mark the ball they won't get hold of it.

Rowe or Jones has to play on Hogan...Weitering would get slaughtered IMO..  Melbourne as listed are not a big forward line and more mobile, we dont need anymore slow players down back...
Hogan would monster Jack IMO...
Agree on Shaw.....Melbourne are a mobile team and he would be handy......I'd expect Lewis, Viney to go the knuckle on Cripps at every opportunity too.......Vince will probably do a Lamb on Murphy as well.
I would have played the extra ruckman vs Gawn too....

Reply #28
If Jack plays I want to see him start his move towards a midfield role. I don't think we need him in defence.

Reply #29
I thought he was quite good against the Bombers.

The Bombers were rubbish Thry, and Rowe was the least influential of any defender against a rubbish side, and never really gave us control of the footy which I think is key to his role.

One of our KPDs needs to be marking the football or else the Demons mobile medium / small forward line will have a feast. They run with a three way forward/midfield rotation using Petracca, Hogan and Oliver, they will add a fourth to that this week with Viney.

SOJ would get destroyed by Hogan.

Bigger, stronger and faster!

Hogan's hardly played forward for the last four weeks, and nobody would suggest SoJ stand Hogan inside D50, Jones is our best option for Hogan because the Dees will almost certainly have Hogan working up the field leaving McDonald inside F50.

Well I'm afraid if young SoJ he wants to play mid then Hogan is the sort of player he needs to go head to head against. Name some other more suitable midfield opponent, Blicsav, Fyfe, Kennedy, just about all the other options are either faster or more mobile! There is not that much difference in size and speed, Hogan has recently worked a lot inside like Cripps leaving Oliver and Petracca on the outside.

We cannot leave Cripps one out against Petracca, Hogan, Oliver with only support from lightweight smalls like Murphy, O'Brian, Fisher or Dow. To win this game we must win the midfield because our HB line is far slower than the Dees forward line, we won't be running off them if we are unable to mark!

This week, after the Clarko whinge, you can expect umpires to be red-hot on blocking, so attempts to double up defenders on guys like Hogan or Charlie will be penalised.
The Force Awakens!