Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round #14: Northern Blues vs. Casey Scorpions (Read 16039 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL Round #14: Northern Blues vs. Casey Scorpions

This week the football returns to Ikon Park on a Saturday afternoon (1400 hours) for the big game against the Casey Scorpions (aka Melbourne 2nds).
Casey have had the wood on us in recent times, especially on their mud heap. Now we have a chance to show how to the play at a ground with real stands (no matter how dilapidated).

The line up for this week's game is very much up in the air at the moment. Carlton will definitely have to replace Gibbs and Armfield due to their injuries. Jamison is also uncertain after his concussion last week. So, whether he plays or not, another tall defender will certainly get on the plane and fly to Perth with the seniors.
Will we retain Fields in the seniors? Tutt? I am not certain that either will play in Perth, so there looks like there will be a significant number of changes.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL Round #14: Northern Blues vs. Casey Scorpions

Reply #1
I am not sure whether anyone noticed, but we have an interesting guy now on the list: Cameron Conlan. A couple of years back big Conlan was touted to be a top 10 pick before injuries stuffed him around. On the comeback trail, big Conlan is now playing with the development side and has been named in the best players in the last couple of weeks.
This is good news because Conlan is something we have in very short supply: a real ruckman. As an U18 he was known for his marking and mobility. I have no idea just how mobile he still is after his injuries, but he is definitely the tallest guy on the Northern Blues' list.
Hopefully we can keep this big boy around and he can develop - for us.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
I am not sure whether anyone noticed, but we have an interesting guy now on the list: Cameron Conlan. A couple of years back big Conlan was touted to be a top 10 pick before injuries stuffed him around. On the comeback trail, big Conlan is now playing with the development side and has been named in the best players in the last couple of weeks.
This is good news because Conlan is something we have in very short supply: a real ruckman. As an U18 he was known for his marking and mobility. I have no idea just how mobile he still is after his injuries, but he is definitely the tallest guy on the Northern Blues' list.
Hopefully we can keep this big boy around and he can develop - for us.

This is hopefully one way we can recruit some more of your speculative prospects and get a few wins on the board.

Tom Wilson was another one in this vein wasnt he?  Too undersized and not enough tricks but doing pretty well for us since he has been playing with the NB's.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #3
Do we have direct access to him being in our development side Crash??
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #4
Do we have direct access to him being in our development side Crash??
Actually, it is open season on him. But we have the inside running because we see him while others don't and we can supervise his training.

In the past we have been pretty good at ignoring guys under our noses. Hopefully we have learnt to look at home as well as away.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #5
Northern Blues vs. Casey Scorpions       
Saturday, July 18               
IKON Park at 2pm

Northern Blues

B: J. Roberts Jaksch Johnston
HB: Dick Foster Smith
C: Boekhorst Perry Viojo
HF: Byrne Jones Bransgrove
F: Wilson Watson Johnson
R: Aurrichio Whiley Ballard
Int: Mattingly* Murray Strachan Armitage Dirago Kilpatrick Walton Cattapan Soncin

Casey Scorpions
B: Panozza Fitzpatrick Terlich
HB: Grimes Hutchins White
C: Toumpas Riley Newton
HF: Bail King M.Jones
F: Harmes Spencer Kennedy-Harris
R: Jamar Tyson Michie
Int: Roos* Paredes Morris Rutherford O.McDonald McKenzie Hunt Byrnes Walmsley  Scott Moncrieff Munro Gent

Our side looks a little light on this week. Too many injuries. Hopefully we can get a few guys back in the next few weeks. But we seem to be losing them much quicker than we can get them back.

On paper they look much stronger than we do. C'est la vie. We just have to deal with it. Wood is not named.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
In the past we have been pretty good at ignoring guys under our noses. Hopefully we have learnt to look at home as well as away.

Has it ever come back to bite us though?

Ahmed Saad is probably one of the bigger names that we've 'missed' and i reckon we probably dodged a bullet there courtesy of a protein shake.

Reply #7
Lambert is another... possibly.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #8
No Wood???

Reply #9
That's what she said!?!

I said a couple of weeks ago Wood looked like a man who needed a freshen up and I would say that's what the selection panel are doing.

Reply #10
That's what she said!?!

I said a couple of weeks ago Wood looked like a man who needed a freshen up and I would say that's what the selection panel are doing.

Macca actually said yesterday that Wood "needed a rest". He indicated that would be in the NBs but obviously a change of plan.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #11
It is probably to his benefit by not playing, but it is a disaster for the Baby Blues. This week's team is even more inexperienced than normal and seriously lacking big man power. Imagine depending on Jones in the ruck!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #12
Has it ever come back to bite us though?

We have been able to find duds elsewhere using the 'grass is greener elsewhere' approach.

Reply #13
We have been able to find duds elsewhere using the 'grass is greener elsewhere' approach.
One of the problems with the Northern Blues is that there doesn't appear to be a path from there to us. Other clubs appear to mine their VFL affiliates. We send them elsewhere. We'd have a lot more better kids trying out with us if we could convince them there was a chance of a Carlton future.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
One of the problems with the Northern Blues is that there doesn't appear to be a path from there to us. Other clubs appear to mine their VFL affiliates. We send them elsewhere. We'd have a lot more better kids trying out with us if we could convince them there was a chance of a Carlton future.

But doesn't the draft system make that hard to do?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball