Skip to main content
Topic: Our tackle count (Read 9707 times) previous topic - next topic

Our tackle count

Last year we were clear bottom of the tackling ladder averaging 56.6 per game and after the first 4 games not much had changed.

Rd 1: 51
Rd 2: 62
Rd 3: 53
Rd 4: 57

Avg: 55.75

Something did change though after round 4. Our intensity has gone up and we have reaped the rewards.

Rd 5: 77
Rd 6: 67
Rd 7: 73
Rd 8: 70

Avg: 71.75
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Re: Our tackle count

Reply #1
Averaged out per quarter :

R1-4 : 13.9 tackles
R5-8 : 17.9 tackles

Can 4 extra tackles per quarter really make a big difference ? I guess they must.

Reply #2
Interesting to hear Beveridge say that Liberatore tackle count was amazing as they don't consider themselves a high tackling team as they are a high possession team.
So tackle counts can show intensity and effort but should be tempered with the style that you play.

If you are controlling the ball and hitting the scoreboard, then your tackle count wont be as high.

However you have to say on this occasion the correlation between our tackle count and wins is strong.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #3
Interesting to hear Beveridge say that Liberatore tackle count was amazing as they don't consider themselves a high tackling team as they are a high possession team.
So tackle counts can show intensity and effort but should be tempered with the style that you play.

If you are controlling the ball and hitting the scoreboard, then your tackle count wont be as high.

However you have to say on this occasion the correlation between our tackle count and wins is strong.

I was going to make mention of this but didn't want to want to complicate things. GWS have the worst tackle count this year but they have been thrashing everyone so it's a bit different to when we were getting smashed and still having a low tackle count.

One thing I have noticed is our tackles are actually sticking better lately so not only are our numbers up but the quality is better too. Port fans complained about the free kick difference but a lot of those free kicks were holding the ball.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #4
It's still only an extra tackle every 5 minutes per quarter. I know you need to factor in % of time in possession for both teams, % of time ball is in dispute etc. I can't quite make a connection between this and our victories. Clearly a lot more to it iMO.

Reply #5
It's still only an extra tackle every 5 minutes per quarter. I know you need to factor in % of time in possession for both teams, % of time ball is in dispute etc. I can't quite make a connection between this and our victories. Clearly a lot more to it iMO.

16 tackles a game is huge, I'm not sure why you're dividing it into quarters and then 5 minute segments to try make it seem insignificant?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #6

I think you are missing how many initiated attacks on the ball carrier will happen for every effective tackle statistic. I read it as a clear indication of pressure and intent when we do not have the ball.

An extra 10 or 20 effective tackles probably means an extra 50 to 100 pressure acts. Given how we set up, I suspect a good portion of those happen inside our F50 which lets us lock the ball in our forward zone.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Just to give an insight into the evolution of our game our tackle count in our famous 99 prelim was only 27!
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #8
Just to give an insight into the evolution of our game our tackle count in our famous 99 prelim was only 27!
Or 26 plus 1 very important one ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #9
We should have that "one tackle" running continuously in a GIF on the front page of the site just to remind the CheatsFC trolls what they are in for!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
We should have that "one tackle" running continuously in a GIF on the front page of the site just to remind the CheatsFC trolls what they are in for!
What a brilliant idea.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #11
16 tackles a game is huge, I'm not sure why you're dividing it into quarters and then 5 minute segments to try make it seem insignificant?

It's a search for meaning and context, not an attempt at diminution.

I think tackle count is one of the more deceptive statistical indicators. As the article below states, the Hawks won the 2014 flag with the 3rd lowest tackle count of all 18 clubs.

When I get some time, I would like to compare other stats of R1-4 v 5-8, to try and get a fuller picture of how to account for the 4 wins. 

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-10/stats-show-richmond-tackling-a-major-problem

Reply #12
Last year we were clear bottom of the tackling ladder averaging 56.6 per game and after the first 4 games not much had changed.

Rd 1: 51
Rd 2: 62
Rd 3: 53
Rd 4: 57

Avg: 55.75

Something did change though after round 4. Our intensity has gone up and we have reaped the rewards.

Rd 5: 77
Rd 6: 67
Rd 7: 73
Rd 8: 70

Avg: 71.75
I REALLY like that out tackle count is up, but what I'm wondering about is, how many MISSED TACKLES do we have now?
One of the frustrating things I noted last year was that lots of guys just got past our tackles too easily. One of our main offenders was Tutt, who couldn't have retarded a 10 year old early last year. He improved his tackling a fair bit over last season, highlighted by his tackle on Isaac Smith. However, he is still not a tackling machine.
Nor was he alone. He had plenty of mates whose tackles just lacked something, and were consistently broken.
However, this year I would reckon the number of missed tackles has been considerably down. I do not have any stats to back this up: I am sure somebody keeps this sort of info, but I don't know whom. The other things is that we appear to be making more chase down tackles. I don't know that our side is all that much faster, but we may be a little faster on the whole. I think that is simply the intensity we are showing. And I like it a lot!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #13
Tackling is like chasing ladies/men at a pub/club/bar. If you ask enough, you'll miss a few but you'll eventually cut one from the herd.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #14
As pointed out there are a lot of variables in play here. What i cannot Q having watched all games (all Melb games live) is the intent to tackle & chase and to tackle hard. Many players are skilled in different aspects of our game (speed, height, marking etc) but any player with the right attitude should be able to chase and tackle and I believe we are far better at this of late and it is making a difference.