Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 4: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 26698 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 4: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #135
Agree. Point is, every coach would have players not on the same page as him for a host of reasons.

Yep Most teams have a Waite, Stringer, Vickery, Fev, Hall etc on their list, someone talented who frustrates you to the max and it ends up going South....

Reply #136
Waite didn't play too many bad games in his time at Carlton, his biggest problem was that he was injury prone so he struggled to get a consistent run at it.
Nothing's changed at North but his current coach seems happy with him.

My recollection is that he was inconsistent, and infuriatingly so.

Reply #137
Name one coach who has won a flag in the past 10 years with his original club. The last were Roos and Worsfold in 2005 and 2006. Hardwick, Beveridge, Clarkson, Scott, Malthouse and Longmire all played with different clubs to the ones they coached to a premiership. Think also Parkin, Matthews, Sheedy, et. al. Bringing in a ‘Carlton man’ is folly.

Good points Jofo.
The discussion was initially in relation to a mentor for our novice coach. Not the Carltonness of the coach per se.
There's suggestion that BB could do with a mentor, particularly in the box. What do you think?

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #138
Waite didn't play too many bad games in his time at Carlton, his biggest problem was that he was injury prone so he struggled to get a consistent run at it.
Nothing's changed at North but his current coach seems happy with him.

You my friend have a memory that is failing you badly.

Reply #139
Agree. Point is, every coach would have players not on the same page as him for a host of reasons.

Malthouses favourite saying in regards to this is simple.

The 22nd player on the list thinks you are a genius,
The 23rd player on the list thinks you are a hack.

That can be extrapolated out

Reply #140

I think that his best games were elite level and we expected it more often, but I can't recall too many bad ones.
I actually thought that the best football I saw him play was at half back, but later on we didn't have the luxury of playing him there.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #141

Re: Waite at CFC
My recall is also of his inconsistencies. Perhaps related to missing games through injury and (frustratingly) suspensions.
This is probably digressing from the thread though.
Henry Ford.

Reply #142
There were some games he was so bad he may as well have been dropped.

Waite was very hot and cold at times and the excuse made for him is that he wasn't a key forward but had to do it through lack of other options.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #143
A lot of older players were not happy with Ratt's including TBird and a few others, they were the tail trying to wag the dog.

In the end those players got the kibosh as well, it is best to remember that!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #144
A lot of older players were not happy with Ratt's including TBird and a few others, they were the tail trying to wag the dog.

In the end those players got the kibosh as well, it is best to remember that!

Yet people blame Malthouse for doing the same thing in regards to Laidler.

Reply #145
It's always amazed me how Carlton can take highly experienced and successful AFL coaches, Premiership coaches no less, and turn them into hacks in a few short years.
And what of our players, are they so lacking in discipline and team ethic and so thoroughly spoiled that these successful coaches can't cut through with them, or do they rebel against them because they are lazy and comfortable and can't be bothered with the challenge?

X2. Couldn’t agree more. 

Reply #146
Yet people blame Malthouse for doing the same thing in regards to Laidler.

I think quite different circumstances.

Ratten still valued blokes like TBird and Waite but they allegedly tried to white-ant him in the end.

MM didn't value Laidler, we really do not know why, all we know is that Laidler sort of proved him wrong and MM's success was all in the past.

Anyway, it's all subjective.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #147
Remember those photos of SOS and Bolts sitting is the stands at Round 22/23 taking notes of players while Barker was in charge? This is what he was looking at:
Backs
 Sam Rowe Michael Jamison Sam Docherty
H/Backs
Matthew Dick Zach Tuohy Kade Simpson
C
Jason Tutt Ed Curnow Blaine Boekhorst
H/Forwards
Troy Menzel Tom Bell Chris Yarran
Forwards
Andrew Walker Matthew Watson Andrejs Everitt
Rucks
Matthew Kreuzer Patrick Cripps David Ellard
Int
Dylan Buckley Mark Whiley Cameron Wood
SUB
Bradley Walsh

I feel far more confident with our current list than with at least 12 of these players.  (2 very good servants have retired)

Not hard to see what SOS and Bolts were writing down.

(2 best for us in the 80+ pt beating? Curnow and Cripps...half backs for GWS. Marchbank and Plowman)

Reply #148
Our forward line was poor last night, but the delivery to it was almost criminal. How were we going to take big pack marks in those conditions? Unbelievable! Had they looked to open the forward line and find a leading target, we still would have lost, but maybe not quite so badly.

At the moment we bomb the ball in and have no structure to stop the ball coming out. For that matter, we get very few crumbing goals. We usually just turn the ball over.

Rewatch the game.
Have a look at our guys when we have the ball in our half forward line... Specifically watch the "forwards"
You might see one of them make a lead. If Jack is in the forward line you will see some movement out of him, but the rest...
You wanna know why we bomb the ball in forward, it's because that's what our forwards are demanding with their ridiculous stationary, lazy @rse play.
The reason our forwards are the worst in the league is because they are lazy, and they don't work.

Reply #149
Remember those photos of SOS and Bolts sitting is the stands at Round 22/23 taking notes of players while Barker was in charge? This is what he was looking at:
Backs
 Sam Rowe Michael Jamison Sam Docherty
H/Backs
Matthew Dick Zach Tuohy Kade Simpson
C
Jason Tutt Ed Curnow Blaine Boekhorst
H/Forwards
Troy Menzel Tom Bell Chris Yarran
Forwards
Andrew Walker Matthew Watson Andrejs Everitt
Rucks
Matthew Kreuzer Patrick Cripps David Ellard
Int
Dylan Buckley Mark Whiley Cameron Wood
SUB
Bradley Walsh

I feel far more confident with our current list than with at least 12 of these players.  (2 very good servants have retired)

Not hard to see what SOS and Bolts were writing down.

(2 best for us in the 80+ pt beating? Curnow and Cripps...half backs for GWS. Marchbank and Plowman)

I'd rather not  :-\
We got it wrong for so long...... hence we now have babies and senior citizens  with nothing of note in between :-[
Henry Ford.