Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 24415 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #165
So I got to watch the game last night. Here are my observations;
While H McKay did better than I thought he would a couple of his goals were the result of him being "out the back" of a contest so I'm still concerned about his work ethic. At least he'll get another week to see what he's made of.
We really blew any chance of winning this in the last quarter when we had all the play and continued to take the wrong option when streaming into the forward line. Could argue it was due to a lack of experience but on two occasions it was Simmo and Wright making the dumb decision. Boy we blew it against a very average WC side.
O'Shea is a hack and has had enough chances. Needs to go.
Lamb did nothing and has had enough chances. Needs to go.
Mullett can kick OK but does nothing much else and has had enough chances. Needs to go.
One of either Garlett or SPS need a rest. I'm leaning towards SPS.
Rowe adds a bit of stability to the backline but should never be allowed to kick the ball.
O'brien looked OK. Does add a bit of pace.
Good return to form for Liam Jones (Rowe inclusion?)

Hope they can bring the same intensity to this Friday nights game but I won't hold my breath. Wish it wasn't at Etihad.

Reply #166
So I got to watch the game last night. Here are my observations;
While H McKay did better than I thought he would a couple of his goals were the result of him being "out the back" of a contest so I'm still concerned about his work ethic. At least he'll get another week to see what he's made of.

Agreed, we need this kid to watch some Johnno Brown's early games, not use the bad old Casboult type as a role model.

From day one Brown used his size and strength to advantage even if he wasn't a prolific goal scorer early, he worked in a way that created opportunities for every other forward even at the expense of his own success and welfare.

If McKay doesn't learn to use his bulk and presence well have our own version of Joe Daniher, a 200cm small forward difficult to match up on but not really a KPP.  That doesn't help your mediums and smalls at all, it just robs them of their opportunities when the 200cm type competes with them at ground level for the same ball!

I'm dead-set over our KPFs trying to play like Rioli! We need a KPF that creates opportunities for our otherwise utilitarian small and medium forwards and the teams overall performance will increase dramatically. We may actually get to see the ball locked in our F50!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #167
re McKay.

Stats will show he kicked 4 goals and is a 3rd gamer. That automatically gets a big tick from everyone.

However, watching the game showed that he was lucky to get 4 goals. The free kick he got for a push when he wasn't even touched was about as lucky as you can get. I reckon a couple of others were pretty lucky too.

Positives...
Doesn't matter how you get them, they all count. If you can get them every week. No problem.

Cons...
He won't get them every week, so will need to earn them himself in the future. Can he?? We dont know.

Reply #168
Agree with all of that, but I think he has at least shown enough to deserve a string of games and let's see what he can do

Reply #169
The bloke didn't trouble the stats sheet for a half of football.

He won't be the first player to do that, nor the last.

It basically means he's not quite afl ready yet.

That's ok too.  He's shown enough to suggest he should remain a Carlton player and start building towards putting in 4 quarter performances.  Whether that happens at AFL level, or not depends largely on his teamates,  injuries and himself.  
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #170
Agree with all of that, but I think he has at least shown enough to deserve a string of games and let's see what he can do

...and i agree.

I said all i'd hoped to see of him (pre-game) was that he put in effort and didn't drop his head. Didn't care if he got a kick, as long as we saw effort.
I'm not expecting him to dominate yet, but he needs extended exposure.

But being realistic, it was potentially one of the most forgettable 4 goal games you're ever likely to see.

Reply #171
Yep, fair enough too. I'm going on Friday night and I'll keep an eye on how hard he is working off the ball

Reply #172
Haven't seen the game, but he kicks 4 thats all he did , we'll call it balance we have players with opportunity & plenty of the ball but can't convert , some has to do it. So if he is that lucky I will take it