Skip to main content

Poll

How will Carlton react to recent results?

The Quick Fix, it's back to the bad old ways!
[ 1 ] (2.1%)
Nothing, they have no idea what to do!
[ 5 ] (10.4%)
They'll stick fat, and stay on course!
[ 42 ] (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Topic: The Quick Fix (Read 17575 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Quick Fix

Reply #31
Interesting that last night of FC Judd declared they had thought this season would be the worst of the three given the large number of players turned over.

If they had communicated that correctly they would still have members going to games but with a very different level of expectation.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Missing Neil Craig???

Well maybe a "father figure" on the back row of the coach's box? Maybe that would be of some help but I think that our collective onfield confidence is currently shot and the dearth of onfield leadership and inspiration has largely caused that. The loss of Murphy is yet another blow and Kreuz's fitness is also a worry. We need to address this both immediately and in our longer term list management strategy. We definitely need a couple of solid cool inspirational onfield leaders desperately or we are in grave danger of stuffing up the futures of more promising kids as well as our own.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #33
Well maybe a "father figure" on the back row of the coach's box?

Possibly, I thought Parkin was still mentoring BB, but he is obviously not a match day figure.

I would have thought, as long as there is cohesion, that Barker and Bolton now have enough experience to work through this without consulting a Godfather! If the Godfather appears, that will be the old Carlton returning!

I do worry that on match day that BB is thinking himself into a corner, he seems to justify the same old same old, a sort of tsactical paralysis. It no different from the players 2nd year blues, opposition are learning BBs tricks, so I think he needs to be a bit more unpredictable, almost do a Dimma and throw away any plan and allow the players to play! Make use of those new players and the tricks and skills that the opponents do not yet know about.

That was probably the cause of our honeymoon period, the first year effect. Lots of young players that the opposition knew little about. Now we have 3/4 of our list as 1st, 2nd or 3rd year players which means a lot of them are suffering 2nd year blues, they have become known knowns and the rest are babies at war scattered around the odd general!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
Interesting that last night of FC Judd declared they had thought this season would be the worst of the three given the large number of players turned over.

If they had communicated that correctly they would still have members going to games but with a very different level of expectation.

Some of us expected this.

Granted we thought the injury to Docherty was going to be much more significant to the loss of synergy, and its also why I started that thread selection dissection.

What we didnt expect was for the team to be as limp competitively as it has been.

We havent seen some of this stuff since the Pagan days.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #35
Some of us expected this.

Granted we thought the injury to Docherty was going to be much more significant to the loss of synergy, and its also why I started that thread selection dissection.

What we didnt expect was for the team to be as limp competitively as it has been.

We havent seen some of this stuff since the Pagan days.

x2....Yep most of us didnt expect finals but more to tread water , but we didnt expect to be drowning.....

Reply #36
It's interesting EB1.

A mate made a nice analogy to our current situation. He said it's like we were building a jigsaw puzzle, we made the border then instead of filling in the middle we destroyed the border and re-started from the inside out.

He thinks we went too far, we haven't retained enough of the early framework, and that has hurt us!

I also wonder, if as a club we are sensitive to the AFL's recent AFLW interference regarding game style, relative to our AFL prime time TV scheduling. Are we serving two masters?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
The NB's went from a 130 point defeat to losing by a couple of points in the shadows of the post within a week, without their most prolific ball winner in Graham and last year's best defender in O'Shea.
A fortnight ago Brisbane pushed Port to the limit then last week kicked 2 goals for the game.
Sport throws up all sorts of results some of which are inexplicable, we won't keep being thrashed every week because that's just not the way it goes.
Keep the faith folks, there are brighter days ahead.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #38
The NB's went from a 130 point defeat to losing by a couple of points in the shadows of the post within a week, without their most prolific ball winner in Graham and last year's best defender in O'Shea.
A fortnight ago Brisbane pushed Port to the limit then last week kicked 2 goals for the game.
Sport throws up all sorts of results some of which are inexplicable, we won't keep being thrashed every week because that's just not the way it goes.
Keep the faith folks, there are brighter days ahead.

At the moment, this is the way I feel. So long as we don't lose key players to homesickness, long term injury etc.

Reply #39
At the moment, this is the way I feel. So long as we don't lose key players to homesickness, long term injury etc.

We've already lost arguably our best player for the season so that's about as bad as things can get on that score, imagine Richmond without Martin, Cotchin or Rance.
As far as the go home factor that's a problem for every team, the best you can do is to make sure that the players are all in it together and if the urge is too strong get the best price for them that you can.
It helps if they're getting a game and not cooling their heels in the seconds like Jacobs and Grigg, but teams often lose out under those circumstances.
I'm fairly certain that Brisbane would see pick 30 odd for Docherty as a loss.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #40
It's interesting EB1.

A mate made a nice analogy to our current situation. He said it's like we were building a jigsaw puzzle, we made the border then instead of filling in the middle we destroyed the border and re-started from the inside out.

He thinks we went too far, we haven't retained enough of the early framework, and that has hurt us!

I also wonder, if as a club we are sensitive to the AFL's recent AFLW interference regarding game style, relative to our AFL prime time TV scheduling. Are we serving two masters?

LP, I remember my daughter learning to swim, in the shallow end she could swim across the pool no problems, no fear, all great, she then graduated to the deep end with the big kids, she said the wall on the other side was further away and she couldnt see the bottom of the pool anymore, took a bit of time to convince her it was the same distance and overcome her fear of the deep...maybe with the L plates off now in Boltons 3rd year and more expectation both coach and players need a bit of time to overcome the deep end fear....

Reply #41
maybe with the L plates off now in Boltons 3rd year and more expectation both coach and players need a bit of time to overcome the deep end fear....

Losing your captain and best midfielder in the warm up was the equivalent of the deep end fear for some of our young fellas.
All of a sudden the likes of SPS, Fisher and Dow were asked to play 20 or 30 percent above what would normally be expected of them to cover the loss of the skipper.
If they'd had since Thursday night to get their heads around it they would have made a better fist of it but it was always going to be very tough at a few minutes notice.
It was almost as tough on Nick Graham who was looking forward to a seat in the stand until 10 minutes before the game.

Reply #42

You know that it was Norp's first ever game as a stand-alone side, they had never played a real game before as a group! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43
Losing your captain and best midfielder in the warm up was the equivalent of the deep end fear for some of our young fellas.
All of a sudden the likes of SPS, Fisher and Dow were asked to play 20 or 30 percent above what would normally be expected of them to cover the loss of the skipper.
If they'd had since Thursday night to get their heads around it they would have made a better fist of it but it was always going to be very tough at a few minutes notice.
It was almost as tough on Nick Graham who was looking forward to a seat in the stand until 10 minutes before the game.

Who else did we lose other than Murphy pre game?

???  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #44
Who else did we lose other than Murphy pre game?

???  ;)

I read this to mean - Murphy as he's both our captain and our best midfielder.  Two titles same person.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.