Skip to main content

Poll

How will Carlton react to recent results?

The Quick Fix, it's back to the bad old ways!
[ 1 ] (2.1%)
Nothing, they have no idea what to do!
[ 5 ] (10.4%)
They'll stick fat, and stay on course!
[ 42 ] (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Topic: The Quick Fix (Read 17447 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Quick Fix

Reply #45
Losing your captain and best midfielder in the warm up was the equivalent of the deep end fear for some of our young fellas.
All of a sudden the likes of SPS, Fisher and Dow were asked to play 20 or 30 percent above what would normally be expected of them to cover the loss of the skipper.
If they'd had since Thursday night to get their heads around it they would have made a better fist of it but it was always going to be very tough at a few minutes notice.
It was almost as tough on Nick Graham who was looking forward to a seat in the stand until 10 minutes before the game.
Yes blue4life , a lot to ask first yr players eg Dow & OBrien , rest are still finding there way, u fortunately Graham hasn't taken this chance again on all counts I have read. Not the way you would want to come into the side, but if there's an opportunity need to grab it. ,

Reply #46
I read this to mean - Murphy as he's both our captain and our best midfielder.  Two titles same person.

Flyboy77 was taking the piss, he knew exactly what B4L meant!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
I think it's time to bring some better AFL class (not rejects) in via FA.

Someone like Guthrie, maybe Gaff or Dalhaus. Just another couple of guys that can manage AFL football and take some pressure off the kids. SPS, Dow etc would be better off being mids 5,6,7 etc than 3 or 4.

I'd also look for a Hodge/Lewis type as an on field coach.

I'm all for the rebuild but if we're not careful it could go very wrong 

Reply #48
Now we're into this rebuild we need to stay the course because we've demolished so much that we must push through and build something.... re-starting now just puts us back 3,4 or however many years.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #49
Attract free agents and trade established not getting any younger players for picks.

We need to be looking at seasons 2020-2022 as our hotspot, and that means moving on value players for established mids and draft picks for trades/more talent acquisition.

There arent many left, but the players that fit this category:

Casboult
Kreuzer
Liam Jones (we need to stop making him look stupid back there, and get him back like the second half of last season pronto)

We arent getting draft picks for any other players, and whilst Id be reluctant to trade Kreuzer because hes one of those heart and soul players, that leaves us with only Casboult happily traded for good value, so we shouldnt drop him at all this season, and we need to put him into the frame to kick as many goals as possible.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
I think it would be a good move to get a couple of seasoned hard at it and skillful mids in but not at the expense of losing our good draft picks or better players. FA would seem to be the best way to go and this would not compromise the rebuild. We have however generally failed in the past to attract the right players.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #51
We need to forget about trading Casboult, he's not worth anything.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #53
I think it's time to bring some better AFL class (not rejects) in via FA.

Someone like Guthrie, maybe Gaff or Dalhaus. Just another couple of guys that can manage AFL football and take some pressure off the kids. SPS, Dow etc would be better off being mids 5,6,7 etc than 3 or 4.

I'd also look for a Hodge/Lewis type as an on field coach.

I'm all for the rebuild but if we're not careful it could go very wrong

Agree...to be fair SOS did try with Saad, Smith and Rockliff but those players wont come to bottom clubs and it also gets down to money and we dont seem to offer the real big dollars that other clubs do.

Reply #54
Controversial B4L!

Not really, his agent's been hawking him around for the past two or three years and there hasn't been any interest and he's not going to get any younger or better.
Jones isn't worth anything either, maybe a pick 50 or so but that's as good as nothing given our draft history.
The only trades we can make are young players who we've had a look at and don't think that they'll measure up, it's probably blasphemy to suggest it but McKay might get us a decent pick or a player.
Either that or hang onto him until he's truly worthless like we did with Watson and a few others.
If we want success we've got to start making some hard decisions.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #55
Either that or hang onto him until he's truly worthless like we did with Watson and a few others.

I think it's too early to make that call.

I'd cut Casboult and put his wage towards leveraging an older KPF type away from a team to become our KPF cornerstone and forward zone leader. Not unlike what the Dawks did with Lake in defense!

It does not necessarily need to be someone out of contract, it just needs to be someone half decent with 2 or 3 years left in them and wants out of a club about to rebuild.

As stupid as this sounds, someone like Jarryd Roughead!

The problem we have at the moment though is that a lot of teams have forward lines with relatively young KPFs.

Maybe Tom Lynch(GC) will be the trigger that sees some experienced KPF types, the few that are left, on the move.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
I think it's too early to make that call.

It won't be at the end of this season, he'll have been at the club for three years by then so if we hang onto him and he doesn't measure up in 2019 his value will be approaching zero.
Better to play him and see what he's made of.

Reply #57
It won't be at the end of this season, he'll have been at the club for three years by then so if we hang onto him and he doesn't measure up in 2019 his value will be approaching zero.
Better to play him and see what he's made of.

But this is where our list management in the past has failed us.

i.e. in 2019, we might be looking at the following decision.

Harry Mckay
vs
Alex Silvagni
vs
Sam Rowe
vs
Levi Casboult
vs
Cam O'shea
vs
Aaron Mullet
vs
Matt Shaw
vs
Patrick Kerr
vs
Kade Simpson (looks evergreen for now, but for how long?)
vs
Matthew Lobbe
vs
Andrew Phillips
vs
Any other trades/free agents or draftees.

The list is actually quite lengthy and whilst I would be reluctant to move on too many, sometimes you move on whats better value.

For me, the only trade out that could cause someone to part with something, is Levi Casboult.  Now, I know hes not worth blah blah blah, but if Zach Tuohy can get us a first rounder, you never know what Casboult can get.

Also, I wouldnt be chopping Mckay without looking at the opportunity cost.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #58
The pure logistics of list management will mean SOS will have to start moving on some of his own in the near future.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #59
one player who could get us good draft value is plowman, i would trade him for the right deal.To me has been flying under the radar (weitering and jones) taking all the heat but wat has he done that makes him so special,can any1 mention a game where LP dominated