Skip to main content

Poll

How will Carlton react to recent results?

The Quick Fix, it's back to the bad old ways!
[ 1 ] (2.1%)
Nothing, they have no idea what to do!
[ 5 ] (10.4%)
They'll stick fat, and stay on course!
[ 42 ] (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Topic: The Quick Fix (Read 17584 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Quick Fix

Reply #90
Well I guess it's roll of the dice whichever way we decide to go. If we try to unload him this year then hopefully we would have someone very specific and relevant in mind to fill his spot. I'll give him a few more weeks to impress before placing my bet.

No one will be making any decisions on him for another three months at least, least of all me.
I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I think we need to be more aggressive in our approach to list management and get rid of the idea that there are sacred cows who simply can't be traded.
Richmond traded out Deledio in 2016 which was a pretty big call but it turns out that it was a good one.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #91
Dane Swan and Corey Enright were 4th round picks, in football parlance that's close to zero but just because we haven't jagged a good player low in the draft since Ryan Houlihan it doesn't mean that we can't in the future.
I think that Williamson was pick 60 odd and he looks OK.
It would be better than what we usually get, which is nothing.
Let's not forget that Richmond gave us pick 30 odd for Hampson, which is near enough to what we paid for Docherty, and no matter how bad McKay proves to be he can't be a worse footballer than Hammer.

For me thats ignoring horses for courses.  We dont have the key forward stocks to simply tip one out particularly when he appears better than most of the ones we have drafted before him (aside from Charlie Curnow) and considering hes big enough to be a part time ruckman as well, that is another reason to persist that wee bit longer. 

Its also acceptable to gamble and lose any future value so long as you aren't doing it every single time and every type of player. i.e. Cameron Polson.  Hes either up to it, or hes out at the end of this year.

One last bit of food for thought.  Would we lose anything, by hanging onto Mckay, and playing him in place of Levi next season?

If the answer is yes, then you trade him for what you can get and move on.  If the answer is no, then you keep him, and next season give him the task of dislodging Levi to win his spot in the team.  If he does it, hes in.  If not, then hes out.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #92
Problem is that we would get nothing for Casboult,  maybe a third rounder if we were really lucky.

Rather put games into McKay and Kerr.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #93
Problem is that we would get nothing for Casboult,  maybe a third rounder if we were really lucky.

Rather put games into McKay and Kerr.

Not for a couple more games as Levi's on 98 games..lol.

Reply #94
Somebody’s been reading this thread. Herald Sun today saying we’re looking at FAs.

Reply #96
With what?

Reply #98
Gaff put on a pretty good display yesterday.

Wonder what it would cost to get him across....

He's a smooth player, but strictly a bruise free, offensive type IMO. Nothing wrong with that if you have the right support around you, but I'm not sure if we do. 

Reply #99
While watching O'Brien's second game of AFL footy last night the thought popped into my head that he could be as good as Gaff in 2-3 years, similar type in my book

Reply #100
Gaff put on a pretty good display yesterday.

Wonder what it would cost to get him across....

Gaff is very outside and soft, Kelly probably isnt anything massive in the bash an crash stuff either but can win the footy in close, everyone is talking about our kids needing 100 games but if you put  a 4 year time frame on that a player like Cripps will be 27 and banged up big time, we need to get him some quality help at the coalface and a mid who has size and strength....

Reply #101
Gaff is very outside and soft, Kelly probably isnt anything massive in the bash an crash stuff either but can win the footy in close, everyone is talking about our kids needing 100 games but if you put  a 4 year time frame on that a player like Cripps will be 27 and banged up big time, we need to get him some quality help at the coalface and a mid who has size and strength....

Agree completely, just one is a FA the other will cost our first pick. That’s why I wouldn’t mind trying to get Guthrie as aFA too

Reply #102
Agree completely, just one is a FA the other will cost our first pick. That’s why I wouldn’t mind trying to get Guthrie as aFA too

x2...like Cam Guthrie as a player, intelligent and can get the footy use, it and mind a man, he was a big fan of Chris judd as we know via the jumper swap so maybe Juddy can convince him to
make the move....

Reply #103
x2...like Cam Guthrie as a player, intelligent and can get the footy use, it and mind a man, he was a big fan of Chris judd as we know via the jumper swap so maybe Juddy can convince him to
make the move....

Give him the no 5?  ;)

Maybe we'd have to take his kid brother as well?
Reality always wins in the end.