Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 6: Pre Game Paranoia: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 12997 times) previous topic - next topic

2018 Rd 6: Pre Game Paranoia: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

A Friday night game at Etihad. :(
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: 2018 Rd 6: Pre Game Paranoia: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #1
The Dogs got run over at Optus Stadium. Their form is very up and down. Reminds me or our form ...
I can't see anyone much ready for a return, but we do need to make sure we have a match-up for their small forwards.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
It's important that we bring a repeat effort of our last game to this contest.

We're in a strange position at the moment.
Most of us realise there is a bigger picture at play than the weekly results, but there's also the awareness that there are no guarantees on either the time frame or the ultimate success of the strategy.

Progress rarely happens in a straight line and there are always peaks and troughs.
What folks like to see is the little bits of improvement.
It's why results like Saturday, even though it was a loss, can serve as a ''pressure'' release.
You can go from being "under seige" to "smiles all around" on the back of one game.

"Carlton is a good place!" this week.

Once again, we don't have to win this game (although it would be nice), but we need a similar commitment.
If we're putting games into kids we want a lot of them to be the right sort of games, and then watch their confidence grow.

Reply #3
Human nature needs efforts to be rewarded in some way. If that does't happen then disillusionment and even despair can set in. I'm certain that club would be more than aware of this and BB would be almost desperate to get a win this week. Here's hoping anyway!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #4
The problem with competitive losses is you get no credit for them when you get pumped.

We get another competitive loss this week and it's 0-6 and we're still smiling.

Lose to the Crows by 80 points and there's dark clouds.

Bombers spank us and we're 0-8 and Bolton's career is going the way of Mark Neeld.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #5
The minor changes to the game plan have helped, West Coast couldn't get their free flowing game going, Carlton's defensive setup was much better. I think if we go with this throughout the year, we won't win many, but the larger losses will be managed.

As I posted earlier, if we can keep them to around 80 points, and aim for us to kick 50, then this is a solid platform to build from - we might even snag one of them as a win.

Reply #6
The problem with competitive losses is you get no credit for them when you get pumped.

That's true and it's where we are at the moment on the "roller-coaster" ride.
The "pumpings" or poor efforts need to be the exception.

If it's 'one up-one down' the pressure is never too far away.

Reply #7
That's true and it's where we are at the moment on the "roller-coaster" ride.
The "pumpings" or poor efforts need to be the exception.

If it's 'one up-one down' the pressure is never too far away.

I don't believe we have ever been 0-6 which is amazing considering our recent history.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #8
I don't believe we have ever been 0-6 which is amazing considering our recent history.

Nope...a quick glance and we've never done 0-6
1989 we had a 0-5 start
1998 we won our first game and then proceeded to lose the next 8
2002 we only had the one win in our first 13
2006 it was two wins and a draw in our first 17 and just 3 wins for the year

Reply #9
What about the year Jezza took over from Thorogood?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #10
What about the year Jezza took over from Thorogood?

Didn't Jezza take over from Serge who took over from Stewart that year (1978). We had a win in round 3 (against Melbourne)

Reply #11
Didn't Jezza take over from Serge who took over from Stewart that year (1978). We had a win in round 3 (against Melbourne)

Correct, 1 win in the first 6 games and Jezza took over in round 7 from Serge.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #13
Bontempelli or Cripps?
The Bont does more damage but Cripps is a beast, I wish we had both of them.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #14
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hamstrung-dickson-to-miss-a-month-20180423-p4zb97.html

good for the Blues...

I think we'll break the duck Friday.

Agree, Dogs are down on form and luck plus Bevo has outsmarted himself by trying to be too clever and cute moving players around and if Bolton can keep it simple
it might be enough to us over the line and by keeping it simple I mean dont try and bring players like Weitering in who have no form and play them on someone from the Dogs who could win them the game.
Their backline has no size and they dont have much up forward...it all about the Bont, McCrae, Dalhaus, Daniel etc....Harry and the Boult should kick five each.....Blues by 25 points