Skip to main content
Topic: OPINION : Our Next Premiership - Without Judd & Co ?? (Read 36436 times) previous topic - next topic

OPINION : Our Next Premiership - Without Judd & Co ??

There is a lot of speculation about how we will go in 2014 with many predicting a rise up the ladder and a strong showing in the finals. However, the ultimate goal is always going to be winning the premiership and naturally, some of us older supporters are wondering if and when we'll see another one soon.

The question is though, will our next premiership be whilst Judd, Waite, Carrazzo and the older brigade are still at the club ??

I found this quote in an article about young Patrick Cripps which made me sit up and look twice :

In a season where Carlton will push aggressively for a top-four berth, Cripps could provide its ageing centre line with an injection of youth.

The Blues' midfield could take a new-look this year after recruiting Collingwood superstar Dale Thomas, ex-Lion half back Sam Docherty and former Swan and Bulldogs' utility Andrejs Everitt to help bolster the third oldest squad in the AFL.

We have the third oldest squad in the competition ?? What the hell ?? I would never have thought that was right but it is something of a damning statistic regardless how you look at it.

It makes me now believe that Malthouse is putting in place another of his patented 5-year plans in which he will systematically build a unique list of players that will give the club a sustained assault at the flag over many years instead of an "all your eggs in the one basket' last ditch attempt.

The way the list was turned over in the off-season was no accident, especially the players that were brought onto the playing list. I'm also expecting the same thing to happen at the end of 2014 actually, possibly not as savagely but certainly with the same intent and targetted direction.  

Yes, we will be competitive over the next season or two but until we address those nagging long-term issues down the spine we are only an outside chance to pinch a flag.

This is why I believe that although we all would like to see the club win a flag whilst the old brigade is still playing, I just can't see it happening quite frankly.

2014 - holding pattern & learning curve
2015 - the start of the move into the fray
2016 - serious threats    
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: OPINION : Our Next Premiership - Without Judd & Co ??

Reply #1
Maybe not this year.... but you never know.
I always start the year thinking we can win it.

The suggested schedule is probably a fair guess, except to say that.... 2013 was our "holding pattern and learning curve". So with some minor adjustments.....

2013 - holding pattern & learning curve
2014 - the start of the move into the fray
2015 - serious threats 

If we were to stay still or even go backwards this year it would be a big blow to morale.
Malthouse has had his 'fun' year... time to get serious!

Reply #2
@Sheik

I thought it was obvious. Carrazzo, Waite, Judd, Scotland, Simpson all in our top 10 all the wrong side of 30. Even blokes like Murphy, Gibbs, Thomas and Kreuzer are past or in their mid 20s. Blokes like Army, Jamo and Walker are 27+. We have an old list, if we don't do well this year there's no option other than to rebuild, especially if we lose someone like Gibbs to free agency.

@lodsie

We are far from a serious threat in 2015 with all those star players coming to the end. We are dropping off in 2015 compared to 2014 IMO.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #3
Thing is Carrots, the players picked up via Free Agency and in the draft are all considered to walk-up starts in the seniors or in regards to the draftees, long-term players for the club.

This has to be a foundation for the future and if we do that again next year, it would mean another 5-6 solid additions making the list look even stronger again.

Murphy, Kreuzer, Gibbs and the like will be the elder statesmen when we next win the premiership IMO.  

Reply #4
Hopefully our midfield is vastly improved on previous years.

Firstly - Fitness, with the inclusion of Buttifant. (See Bell) Malthouse obviously made direct comparisons with his days at Collingwood and realised we did not compare otherwise why change? Freindship with Buttifant? I doubt he is that kind of bloke.

Secondly - Personnel, Thomas, Cripps and Docherty should all add much needed depth. Also Murphy and Carrazzo had very little impact in 2013 due to injury.

If the above is all true??? then we should improve vastly.

Then we require Casboult to be significantly fitter and stronger to become a target. He needs to continuously provide a contest and take over the mantle as our big forward. He doesn't necessarily need to kick bags of goals and probably won't.

Unless both of the above happen I can't see us being a threat.

Reply #5

@lodsie

We are far from a serious threat in 2015 with all those star players coming to the end. We are dropping off in 2015 compared to 2014 IMO.

Problem with that argument is that you accept (as I do) that some of our better players will slip, yet you seem to discount the improvement to some of our younger players who in a year or two will be coming into their prime. Those around the 30+ mark are still top 22 players yet most of them even Judd over the last couple of seasons have been rather inconsistent.

Reply #6
The one thing that could have a huge impact on our onfield success is the appointment of Dean Laidley as midfield coach, he has always been a 'take no prisoners' type of player and coach which hopefully will rub off the players he manages.

Reply #7
Look how much has to go right:

MK develops into a good ruckman
Murphy has a great year
Thomas gets over his injury and returns to form
Waite gets on the park and isn't past it
Judd isn't broken
Garlett plays well without Betts
Robinson clicks under MM
Watson goes from a twos player to holding down a key post
Gibbs and Yarran pull their fingers out
Carrots gets on the park and the game hasn;t gone past him.
Curnow continues to be an good tagger

Too many question marks all over the ground for this year. Maybe it clicks in 2015 but it would be looking ominous for those guys.

Reply #8
Murphy, Kreuzer, Gibbs and the like will be the elder statesmen when we next win the premiership IMO.  

Yep, they'll be in retirement homes! :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #9
It's not the well known players (the ones who's abilities we're well aware of) who'll make a difference between a successful season or not.
It's the ones who we're not so sure about who'll determine our success

I bet at the end of the year we're saying things like "I didn't know he would be that good", What a great season he's had" or "Hasn't he made a difference?" about a few of our players.

If we're not.... we'll probably be in a bit of strife.

Reply #10

@lodsie

Problem with that argument is that you accept (as I do) that some of our better players will slip, yet you seem to discount the improvement to some of our younger players who in a year or two will be coming into their prime. Those around the 30+ mark are still top 22 players yet most of them even Judd over the last couple of seasons have been rather inconsistent.

Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzer are not great leaders like Judd, Carrazzo, Scotland et al.

The youth we have coming through do not get even close to the above mentioned players. I think the five players i mentioned are the heart and soul of the club and our club will have very little heart once these blokes depart.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #11
It's not the well known players (the ones who's abilities we're well aware of) who'll make a difference between a successful season or not.

That's true to some extent but if our top 10 have stinkers, forget it. It's true of any team.

Reply #12
Look how much has to go right:

MK develops into a good ruckman
Murphy has a great year
Thomas gets over his injury and returns to form
Waite gets on the park and isn't past it
Judd isn't broken
Garlett plays well without Betts
Robinson clicks under MM
Watson goes from a twos player to holding down a key post
Gibbs and Yarran pull their fingers out
Carrots gets on the park and the game hasn;t gone past him.
Curnow continues to be an good tagger

Too many question marks all over the ground for this year. Maybe it clicks in 2015 but it would be looking ominous for those guys.

This ^^
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #13

That's true to some extent but if our top 10 have stinkers, forget it. It's true of any team.

Or if five of them are 31+?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #14

@lodsie

Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzer are not great leaders like Judd, Carrazzo, Scotland et al.

The youth we have coming through do not get even close to the above mentioned players. I think the five players i mentioned are the heart and soul of the club and our club will have very little heart once these blokes depart.

It's a funny thing about this game....
You can't possibly predict how good some of our young players will be in season 2014-15.
You can't predict how they will develop in terms of leadership.
.....and there will always be a group of players who'll step up and take that "heart and soul" role.
In fact some don't really shine until that older group move on.

Just as an example...Comparing a 2013 Graham or Menzel with a 2015 Graham or Menzel is like comparing apples and oranges.

Judd apart...the rest of our "Heart and Soul" guys are just "good average" players...no superstars there.