Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 12: Northern Blues vs. Footscray (Read 9556 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL Round 12: Northern Blues vs. Footscray

Footscray Bulldogs vs. Northern Blues  
Saturday, Jul 04
VU Whitten Oval at 2pm

Footscray Bulldogs

B: Prudden Talia Hunter
HB: Fuller Russell Darley
C: Prismall R. Smith Hamilton
HF: Dale Campbell Hrovat
F: Webb Pearce Jensen
R: Cordy Biggs Crameri
Int: Buchanan Barry Fort Jamieson Greenwood Fogarty W. Hayes Keras Coughlan* 

Northern Blues

B: Wilkinson Jaksch McGuinness
HB: Dick Fields Johnston
C: Tutt Walsh Smith
HF: Bransgrove Jones Viojo
F: Foster M. Watson Murray
R: Aurrichio Whiley Cattapan
Int: Stevens Strachan Bolger Aujla* Wilson Armitage Russell Walton Soncin

The Blues looks a lot weaker this week and Byrne still hasn't made an appearance. His injury is more than an irritation. It really hurts us.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL Round 12: Northern Blues vs. Footscray

Reply #1
Williamstown vs. Northern Blues           
Saturday, Jul 04               
Burbank Oval at 9.00am

Williamstown

B: Sing Fahey Hine
HB: McKenzie Deery Hetherington
C: Gallucci Chisari Bewley
HF: Bese Myers Bench
F: Currie Critchley Conway
R: Curtis E. Carr A. Carr
Int: Merlo Davies Walshe Locco Maher Heaver Walker Di Ciero Owen Hislop Greiser   

Northern Blues

B: D. Watson J. Roberts Porter
HB: Kilpatrick Wild Strachan
C: McDonagh Ballard Russell
HF: Armitage Walton Toman
F: Wilson Dirago Stevens
R: Bolger Soncin J. Gleeson
Int: Dawson M. Gleeson McCabe Pettigrove Peet Conlon Yelland Langwell Whillas Sidhom Gilbert Jenkins Zito

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Just got back from the game.

Dishlickers won by 103 pts. More soon, gotta have a cuppa. First NBs game I have seen for the year -- due to being in NZ -- and it was a shocker.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #4
That sure wiped out the percentage gain from last week.

Reply #5
Overcast and colder than a politician's promise. Drizzled for a few minutes in the 2nd quarter but apart from that it remained dry. Ground was in good nick.

Picked a really bad game to get some idea of where some of our young blokes are at. Hardly any positives so I had to watch certain blokes really closely to see how they were handling getting beaten so comprehensively.

We lose by 100+ pts and beat Franger by more than that. Wow, Franger must have sent out their under 15s last week.

Didn't see Byrne out there.

I thought Tyrone Armitage was probably bog, closely followed by Fields, then Bransgrove, Soncin, Dick and perhaps Fraser Russell. To be honest though, our better players were blokes who weren't beaten badly, just beaten.

Walsh: Yes he has a terrific attitude and goes in hard but he's not clean enough with his hands at the moment and is too easily knocked off the ball or out of the contest. Going to also be tough for him due to his size. When you're that small you'd better have some tricks. Astonished he was mentioned in the better players.

Fields: For me he was one of the brighter lights. A good size and puts in strongly. Second efforts need work. One of the better NBs listed blokes. He let one go from full back and it was sensational - clipped the wing of the 3:45 Qantas flight Melbourne to Perth. Every bit of 75 metres+. When he is simply passing to a team mate can do the Ang C. thing with a 50+ metre left footer. Thinks like a footballer. Considering the dominance of the Dishlickers he was a brighter light.

Liam Jones: Looked much better in the ruck. And he's not that good in the ruck. Took a screamer in the first quarter. I watched him closely to see what he did off the ball - FA. He tried hard and his second efforts were there but for me his problems are all between the ears. He has the skills but there's something missing with understanding the game and working when the ball is not in his vicinity. I would suggest calling in Doctor Michael Hfuhruhurr to perform a brain transplant between Slug Ellard and Liam Jones.

Watson: Matty Watson only had one big problem in the game - an opponent. And this opponent did really weird things like body up and was quicker than Watson. When he was allowed to be loose in the backline in the last quarter he racked up possessions... no opponent. Did precious little. Though he did take one contested mark!!! Pick yourself up off the floor Ye Rat O' the River and have a stiff brandy.

Dick: Was one of the brighter lights in a very dim game. Put in and did some good things. Spent plenty of time in the midfield. Probably worth persisting with but has a fair way to go. Good size and probably only in the midfield due to so many mids in the seniors. With development you could see him as a 3rd strong defender.

Jayden Foster: Just not up to it at present. Showed glimpses but has a long, long way to go. Not sure I am that optimistic.

Jaksch: Had his shnozzle flattened early in the game so was very easily identified by the bandage around his head from then on. Had plenty of opportunities to show his wares with the aggott spending so much time in the Dishlickers forward line, but failed. Looked so much better when he could create ie getting himself loose as an attacking option off the backline. When this happened he looked capable and made good decisions. For mine he's being played out of position. Should be groomed as a key forward - would have been a better option than Watson and Foster. There is something there to work with.

Fraser Russell: Beaten like all his mates but showed something. Like to see more of him.

Dillon Hyphen: Hopeless. Didn't see anything to enthuse about.

Clem Smith: As for Dillon Hyphen.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #6
Overcast and colder than a politician's promise. Drizzled for a few minutes in the 2nd quarter but apart from that it remained dry. Ground was in good nick.

Picked a really bad game to get some idea of where some of our young blokes are at. Hardly any positives so I had to watch certain blokes really closely to see how they were handling getting beaten so comprehensively.

We lose by 100+ pts and beat Franger by more than that. Wow, Franger must have sent out their under 15s last week.

I thought Tyrone Armitage was probably bog, closely followed by Fields, then Bransgrove, Soncin, Dick and perhaps Fraser Russell. To be honest though, our better players were blokes who weren't beaten badly, just beaten.

Walsh: Yes he has a terrific attitude and goes in hard but he's not clean enough with his hands at the moment and is too easily knocked off the ball or out of the contest. Going to also be tough for him due to his size. When you're that small you'd better have some tricks. Astonished he was mentioned in the better players.

Fields: For me he was one of the brighter lights. A good size and puts in strongly. Second efforts need work. One of the better NBs listed blokes. He let one go from full back and it was sensational - clipped the wing of the 3:45 Qantas flight Melbourne to Perth. Every bit of 75 metres+. When he is simply passing to a team mate can do the Ang C. thing with a 50+ metre left footer. Thinks like a footballer. Considering the dominance of the Dishlickers he was a brighter light.

Liam Jones: Looked much better in the ruck. And he's not that good in the ruck. Took a screamer in the first quarter. I watched him closely to see what he did off the ball - FA. He tried hard and his second efforts were there but for me his problems are all between the ears. He has the skills but there's something missing with understanding the game and working when the ball is not in his vicinity. I would suggest calling in Doctor Michael Hfuhruhurr to perform a brain transplant between Slug Ellard and Liam Jones.

Watson: Matty Watson only had one big problem in the game - an opponent. And this opponent did really weird things like body up and was quicker than Watson. When he was allowed to be loose in the backline in the last quarter he racked up possessions... no opponent. Did precious little. Though he did take one contested mark!!! Pick yourself up off the floor Ye Rat O' the River and have a stiff brandy.

Dick: Was one of the brighter lights in a very dim game. Put in and did some good things. Spent plenty of time in the midfield. Probably worth persisting with but has a fair way to go. Good size and probably only in the midfield due to so many mids in the seniors. With development you could see him as a 3rd strong defender.

Jayden Foster: Just not up to it at present. Showed glimpses but has a long, long way to go. Not sure I am that optimistic.

Jaksch: Had his shnozzle flattened early in the game so was very easily identified by the bandage around his head from then on. Had plenty of opportunities to show his wares with the aggott spending so much time in the Dishlickers forward line, but failed. Looked so much better when he could create ie getting himself loose as an attacking option off the backline. When this happened he looked capable and made good decisions. For mine he's being played out of position. Should be groomed as a key forward - would have been a better option than Watson and Foster. There is something there to work with.

Fraser Russell: Beaten like all his mates but showed something. Like to see more of him.

As far as Foster goes, you won't know for a few years if he'll get there. It's something we learn time after time, most big blokes take ages. He's been pretty good for a few weeks. Who thought Casboult would get there after being rookied a few years ago. Need to wait on Foster.

Actually be worth ignoring the performance of forwards yesterday full stop as it will tell you nothing.

Reply #7

Thanks, Baggers. It looks like 6 - 7 guys are worth 250 points: that was the turn around.
Alas, we really didn't have a lot out there Yesterday. Last week we had some talent and Frankston just weren't in it.

Unfortunately your comments about Dillon VR and Clem Smith bode poorly, as they were among our poorest players last week. We just don't get any value from them at the moment.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
Thanksfor your report Baggers, a dedicated effort on a cold and grey day!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
2015 AFL Victoria Development League
Williamstown   1.3  4.6  5.8  12.14 (86)
Northern Blues   2.4  3.4  4.6  5.6 (36)

GOALS:
Williamstown: Critchley 2 Conway 2 Owen 2 Greiser  Merlo  Bench  Maher  Hislop  Walshe
Northern Blues: Sidhom  Yelland  Ballard  McDonagh  Stevens

BEST:
Williamstown: Greiser Fahey Critchley McKenzie Di Ciero Chisari
Northern Blues: Ballard Toman Gleeson Whillas Dawson Sidhom
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #10
2015 Peter Jackson VFL
Footscray Bulldogs   4.2  12.8  18.13  21.15 (141)
Northern Blues   1.3  3.3  4.5  5.8 (38)

GOALS:
Footscray Bulldogs: Hayes 4 Hrovat 3 Hunter 3 Fort 2 Cordy 2 Crameri 2 Hamilton  Campbell  Prismall  Pearce  Dale
Northern Blues: Foster 2 Aujla  Watson  Russell

BEST:
Footscray Bulldogs: Hayes Webb Hunter Prudden Campbell Biggs
Northern Blues: Dick Bransgrove Fields Walsh Johnston McGuinness
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #11
So what did MM see in Smith??  Extraordinary selections in retrospect.

Reply #12
So what did MM see in Smith??  Extraordinary selections in retrospect.

Nannette picked him.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #14
Good to see Dick "putting in" Baggers