Skip to main content
Topic: Sam Rowe NAB Cup Captain. (Read 10479 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Sam Rowe NAB Cup Captain.

Reply #15
NAB cup form, good or bad, gets people excited - happens every year. I wouldn't expect this year to be any different.

We'll get smashed or make the final (or God help us win the thing)  and someone will jump up and make a point that it must mean something - probably backed up by dubious stats of past performance -  and once again we'll see that it has no reflection during the real stuff.

Didn't we win all our games last year? Then go 0-4?

As long as the kids get a run, i couldn't give a toss what the scoreline reads.

Agree....its about development and not getting any more injured players...couldnt care less about the results...

The restructure by the AFL I think is a reflection that the comp is not invested in winning the pre season but using it as an opportunity to develop youngsters.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #16
NAB cup form, good or bad, gets people excited - happens every year. I wouldn't expect this year to be any different.

We'll get smashed or make the final (or God help us win the thing)  and someone will jump up and make a point that it must mean something - probably backed up by dubious stats of past performance -  and once again we'll see that it has no reflection during the real stuff.

Didn't we win all our games last year? Then go 0-4?

As long as the kids get a run, i couldn't give a toss what the scoreline reads.

Agree....its about development and not getting any more injured players...couldnt care less about the results...

The restructure by the AFL I think is a reflection that the comp is not invested in winning the pre season but using it as an opportunity to develop youngsters.
Very true, and we have a lot of youngsters to develop. How they go is probably the most important things for the night.
However, I would still like to win: winning is a habit and one I want our kids to ingrain in themselves. Beating a much stronger side on paper would be a good start.
I am not really expecting it to happen, but I won't be disappointed if it does.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17
It was a chance for the kids to claim a spot so its a shame that none have stood out. Hopefully that will change.

Reply #18
As it turned out, I did not get my wish. We did not win. Our kids did little. Sam Rowe had his least effective game for ages. Our tall forwards didn't function.
However, we still only lost by just over 5 goals. That would worry me if I were coaching the Weagles: they had over 130 more possessions that we did and should have murdered us. Yet they didn't.
Well, now it is time for us to regroup for the Meat Pies at QEO. I hope we do have a few more senior players available. The kids need direction.
And I still want to win! Winning is a habit we need to be ingrained in the souls of our players.

I wonder who will be Captain next game?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #19
As it turned out, I did not get my wish. We did not win. Our kids did little. Sam Rowe had his least effective game for ages. Our tall forwards didn't function.
However, we still only lost by just over 5 goals. That would worry me if I were coaching the Weagles: they had over 130 more possessions that we did and should have murdered us. Yet they didn't.
Well, now it is time for us to regroup for the Meat Pies at QEO. I hope we do have a few more senior players available. The kids need direction.
And I still want to win! Winning is a habit we need to be ingrained in the souls of our players.

Rowe spent a lot of time looking at other players and where they were positioned etc and when the ball came down his way was caught short trying to get to contests and didnt concentrate on his own game.
The Pies were very slick vs Hawthorn and won a lot of footy, with Beams gone a few of their lesser lights like J.Thomas and Fasalo filled that void, it could get ugly if some of our senior mids dont play....I'd make Simpson captain for that game..
While the result is not  important we dont want to get hammered either and need to show we can win more contested footy....players like Bell, Graham etc have to step up and
have more impact..as a mature age player I will be interested to see how Boekhorst goes as well in this area...

Reply #20
So back to the thread OP. What are we saying Jaksch?

Reply #21

Would have liked to have been left with a bit more of optimism about the new recruits but I'm not too concerned. Get a bit more experience around them and it will be a different story. Sammy will also enjoy having Jamo back and a midfield that can stop the persistent forward entries by the opposition. Tall forwards were on a hiding to nothing with limited and below average delivery in a howling gale.
If he plays I expect Gibbsy to be skipper against the filth.
IN WADA WE TRUST